iacas

Is This Ball Marker Going Too Far?

Mechanical Ball Markers  

34 members have voted

1. 1. Should "mechanical ball markers" such as the Trident be legal?

• Yes
    • No

39 posts / 3664 viewsLast Reply

4 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Isn't the face of the putter a straight line longer than 2 inches?

That has no relevance. #35 advises something you can do and this example fits that situation. #31 advises something you cannot do and this example does not fit that situation.

7 hours ago, Bonvivant said:

Isn't the face of the putter a straight line longer than 2 inches?

You should really look at:

Rule 14, which tells you of a couple of ways you can mark your ball, including placing a club next to the ball.

Definition of Ball Marker, which talks about a number of different things with which you can mark the ball (including "an object made to be a ball marker")

The section in the Equipment Rules that @Missouri Swede quoted, which talks about when an object manufactured to be a ball marker becomes an alignment device. 

The 2-inch limit applies only to objects intended to be a ball marker. The definition of "ball marker" allows you to use a "small piece of equipment".  A tee may not be longer than 4 inches, so that's about the maximum size that would classify as a "small piece of equipment" in my interpretation.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I voted yes.  For me, the ball marker isn't going to help a player who doesn't have the correct line in the first place.  And aligning it with this or just a line is the same.  Most importantly, as long as Pace Of Play isn't affected, I don't care either way.  If it winds up taking a player too much time, then by all means ban it.  I occasionally draw lines on my ball, but never bother about using that or the arrows on the ball to line it up.  I just look for my line, pick a spot a few inches from my ball and align myself with that