IGNORED

Practicing With Earbuds In?

nevets88
Note: This thread is 1313 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wear my airpods at the range so people won’t chat with me or offer swing tips. Music throws off my tempo so I don’t listen to music either when I play. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

27 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

I wear my airpods at the range so people won’t chat with me or offer swing tips. Music throws off my tempo so I don’t listen to music either when I play. 

Who knows when a good swing tip may come along.  That might be Butch Harmon standing next to you.  😁

Edited by Double Mocha Man

52 minutes ago, FlyingAce said:

Is that really an issue, do people really just walk up and offer you swing tips? I would never do such a thing, hell I hate helping people even when they ask. Literally, I have only had this happen once in my life, had a guy tell me I should keep my left arm straighter. I just told him as soon as he could beat me he could give me advice. He didn't say much after that. 

To answer the OP I listen to Airpods while I am putting only. I can't stand to have them in when I am working full swing, I need to hear that contact.

• Like 1

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

3 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

...had a guy tell me I should keep my left arm straighter. I just told him as soon as he could beat me he could give me advice. He didn't say much after that. 

That was no way to treat Hank Haney...

2 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Is that really an issue, do people really just walk up and offer you swing tips? I would never do such a thing, hell I hate helping people even when they ask. Literally, I have only had this happen once in my life, had a guy tell me I should keep my left arm straighter. I just told him as soon as he could beat me he could give me advice. He didn't say much after that. 

To answer the OP I listen to Airpods while I am putting only. I can't stand to have them in when I am working full swing, I need to hear that contact.

I can't speak for @FlyingAce, But I can tell you that I've never had it happen to me. Not even once has anyone walked up to me and offered me unsolicited swing advice at the practice range. I do have some friends there who will walk up to me and talk some shit so to speak. 

My wife, however, has it happen to her pretty close to every time she's at the range. For what ever reason, if certain men see a woman working on her golf game they feel the need to go up and give them swing tips. I personally don't give anyone swing tips. But its so strange, my wife and I have been together at the range time and time again and some guy will walk up to her out of the blue and say something like "you should try to keep your left arm straighter on your take away." ... or something to that affect. My wife is always very polite and says something like "Right now I'm just working on some things my swing coach gave me to work on..." Usually that's that. Sometimes the guy will be really persistent. "Well, I can tell you as soon as I started keeping my left arm straight on my takeaway I added 20 yards to my drives." At that point my wife will say something like "I know you're trying to help, but right now you're messing me up. Can you please leave me alone." 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I wear buds when there are chatter boxes going at it. Usually a mess of horrible instruction from a 30hcp to 30+ hcp.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

18 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

I wear buds when there are chatter boxes going at it. Usually a mess of horrible instruction from a 30hcp to 30+ hcp.

But I bet your ears perk up when they start talking about fixing a shank...  😁

It is always fun to listen to the vomiting of advice being doled out by Mr. 30+ cap and then turn to watch him hit a shot... a 20 yard topped drive.

Edited by Double Mocha Man
  • Like 1

18 minutes ago, Double Mocha Man said:
31 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

But I bet your ears perk up when they start talking about fixing a shank

Lol! Oh yes. I am glad to say my shanks are much further apart in their appearances. Now they really only happen if:

1. Anybody watching my tee shot on a par three..especially a cart girl.

2. There’s water or ob directly left on an approach shot.

However..having posted this I have committed a breach of Golf God's etiquette and will be punished swiftly.

• Like 2

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

1 hour ago, Vinsk said:

from a 30hcp to 30+ hcp.

Hey, I resemble that remark.

1 hour ago, Double Mocha Man said:

then turn to watch him hit a shot... a 20 yard topped drive.

Ouch, you are hitting close to home now.

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2 hours ago, Vinsk said:

Lol! Oh yes. I am glad to say my shanks are much further apart in their appearances. Now they really only happen if:

1. Anybody watching my tee shot on a par three..especially a cart girl.

2. There’s water or ob directly left on an approach shot.

However..having posted this I have committed a breach of Golf God's etiquette and will be punished swiftly.

You're cracking me up Vinsk.  But I think you're on to something.  Find a course with no ob's on the left... and no cart girls.  And unfriend all your golfing buddies... but only on the par 3's.

4 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I can't speak for @FlyingAce, But I can tell you that I've never had it happen to me. Not even once has anyone walked up to me and offered me unsolicited swing advice at the practice range. I do have some friends there who will walk up to me and talk some shit so to speak. 

My wife, however, has it happen to her pretty close to every time she's at the range. For what ever reason, if certain men see a woman working on her golf game they feel the need to go up and give them swing tips. I personally don't give anyone swing tips. But its so strange, my wife and I have been together at the range time and time again and some guy will walk up to her out of the blue and say something like "you should try to keep your left arm straighter on your take away." ... or something to that affect. My wife is always very polite and says something like "Right now I'm just working on some things my swing coach gave me to work on..." Usually that's that. Sometimes the guy will be really persistent. "Well, I can tell you as soon as I started keeping my left arm straight on my takeaway I added 20 yards to my drives." At that point my wife will say something like "I know you're trying to help, but right now you're messing me up. Can you please leave me alone." 

My husband said the same - that nobody had ever commented on his swings or offered advice but he noticed me getting them almost everytime we are at the range. Strange.

5 hours ago, NM Golf said:

People do really walk up to give swing tips! It is creepy because you don’t know how long they have been watching! I get the most unsolicited advice at Sandia. At Tanoan, people like to socialize and someone will always stop by to chat or talk about swings. I have had a few people giving me tips at Arroyo, and some asking for tips which I suggested they ask a pro at the shop. Paako is the only place I find peace and solitude because it is always empty...

Edited by FlyingAce

• Administrator
7 hours ago, nevets88 said:

I see a lot of swings on social media, Instagram mainly, and more than a few people are wearing AirPods while swinging. Just something I noticed.

Doesn't mean they're doing the best thing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I use headphones when I get to play by myself, and very occasionally at the driving range. Pretty much exclusively listening to podcasts. 

I don't really notice any difference in my play out on the course - I've shot some of my best rounds with headphones off. I haven't used them enough while practicing to notice any difference there. 

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Yeah, I listen to music while hitting balls on the range as opposed to when practicing properly.  I don't think it does me any harm, though my results would probably indicate otherwise, haha.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Note: This thread is 1313 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!