IGNORED

Club Championships - Should Ex-College Players, Touring Pros, Etc. Be Allowed to Play?

FlyingAce
Note: This thread is 1330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Club Championships  

32 members have voted

1. 1. Should ex-college players, professionals, etc. be allowed to play in club championships?

• Yes
    • No

Anyone with a club membership and amateur status should be allowed.  If they aren't making money playing golf than they're in the same boat as us.  Although some are in a better boat.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

21 hours ago, klineka said:

That seems silly IMO that dozens of people wouldn't play it at just over 7,000 yds but they'll play 6,700. If you can handle 6,700 you can handle 7,000. That's like an extra 19 yds per hole if the course was playing at exactly 6,700 and then 7,050.

The only thing I could think of would be if the 7,000 yd tees brought multiple forced carries into play which they couldn't carry from 7,000 but could from 6,700.

Back on topic, I've never been a part of a club or played in a club championship, but I think any member should be allowed to play, maybe with the exception of professionals, meaning you still have to have amateur status to play, especially because IIRC retired pros can get reinstated as amateurs again so that would cover guys that played on mini tours years ago but now are retired from professional golf. 

The course from the tips had 6 holes with water carry, the longest just under 250.  Only a handful at the time could carry it. 11 of the 18 holes have water running adjacent to the fairways and water carry to the greens.  Ok, lots of courses have the same.  Two of the par 3’s are all water carry. A few of the dogleg holes are long from the tips and many would struggle to get to the corners.  It’s a fun course though, you get to meet lots of alligators while you play!

On 9/2/2020 at 6:44 AM, ChetlovesMer said:

A hundred years ago I belonged to a course where The Club Championship had 3 winners.

08EA01FB-EFA8-4D4D-9DB6-94A190D3D230.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thumbs Up 2

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

there is a sense where this question comes down to "What rules can we use to ensure nobody better than me is allowed to compete but I am still allowed to"

• Like 1

I just find this topic to be sour grapes on the part of the membership. If the players met the criteria of the club championship then they should play, if they don't they are not eligible. We have an uber prestigious club down here that had a former US Amateur champion winning its club championship. Heck, a great many of the members have made the quarterfinals of the Senior and Mid-Am USGA events and I am sure a good number of them played in college. It sounds like the membership took it out on the head pro who just wants it all to go away so he can keep his job. Now if one of the qualifications is that you have to be an am and the ex pro didn't have am status, that could be a problem. 

• Like 1

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

Maybe the small clique who think they control the winners circle should disqualify anyone who: has a Cap that is better than theirs or B anyone who beats one of their clique in the championship.

No wonder golf has such a private mens club reputation. And I'm a 67 year old wasp. Thats embarrassing to me.

• Thumbs Up 1

I voted "Yes".  I feel anyone with amateur status and is a club member should be allowed to play.  I have no problem with "Ex-Pros" who have regained amateur status.  We have one on our league and some assume he is going to with all of the skins & closest to pins each week.  Last week an 88 year old beat his shot for closest to the pin.  It made his day to say he beat an Ex-Pro.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Note: This thread is 1330 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!