IGNORED

Members Banned Discussion

As the moderator here I will say a few facts and a few opinions:

• We almost never delete posts. Fewer than 10/month that aren't spam. And when we do, they're often something like four a time, where a member posts something, a moderator replies, the member replies again, and so does the moderator. After a time, all the posts - since they're off topic - may be removed. We have three levels of moderation, basically:
    • Level 1: Verbal warning in the topic. Usually short, since it's off-topic, and done by a moderator or occasionally just by another member who knows what's acceptable?
    • Level 2: An actual warning, with points.
    • Level 3: An actual warning, with points (often more points than level 2), and deletion of the post.
    • In other words, non-spam posts aren't deleted without notification. Turns out, people who are jerks just like to tell their side of the story, and hang their hat on "my post was deleted!" and leave out "… because I was being an insensitive ass" or "… because I continued to break a forum rule."
  • Opinions cannot be "right" or "wrong." You can disagree with them, but far too many people these days take disagreements personally. The moderation team here has all met. They've played golf with a number of the members here. They've had disagreements with a number of the members here… just like they have had with their friends, their family, and other people they love. Stop trying to look for ways to be offended or pissed. You have your opinions, others have theirs.
  • Text has no tone to it. Read everything as if the voice in your head is smiling as they say it. Give others the benefit of the doubt, or at least ask if they're having a go at you, because they almost never are.
  • "He who lives in glass houses shouldn't throw stones." If you've never had a bad day, you can be critical of others when they may be having one. No, you've had bad days yourself, so you understand what I'm saying here? Thought so.
  • Stop forming immutable opinions of people and then reading everything through those glasses. People are not their first impression. And if you've made 356 posts, and one crosses the line and you get moderated, well that was 1 out of 356. Keep it in perspective.

Moderation is almost not needed (outside of spam) if everyone simply follows a few basic ideas:

• Talk about the topic.
  • Don't be a jerk.
  • Don't assume others are being jerks.

It's really pretty simple.

P.S. We will not be releasing the names of these people. They were unhappy people, and we've done them a favor. As a moderation team, we are constantly evaluating our actions, so please take that time to evaluate your own. For 95% of you, this will take three seconds. If you've ever felt that you had an issue here, however, ask yourself if you're completely blameless in it (you likely weren't), and more importantly, if it's really a big deal.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

- Steve
TST "Main Mod"

As of early April, 2018, I handle all moderation for the site. The existing mods and admins can still do things like stop spammers, but they off-load all user moderation to me. My goal is to be firm but fair.

1 hour ago, boogielicious said:

We apologize for letting them continue their behavior longer than they deserved. 

Thanks, but no apology needed IMO. There will always be trolls. I think the TST team does a great job keeping this forum a pleasant, welcoming, and content rich place for everyone.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Darkfrog said:

Thanks, but no apology needed IMO. There will always be trolls. I think the TST team does a great job keeping this forum a pleasant, welcoming, and content rich place for everyone.

Banned! Too much sucking up.

But seriously, though, thanks. A few people can cloud the perception by and of many. The vast majority of people here are great members.

Great members that we enjoy helping, talking with, playing golf with.

They don't even point out every time we end sentences with prepositions.

• Like 4

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

A few people can cloud the perception by and of many. The vast majority of people here are great members.

I read recently that 80% of the US content on Twitter is created by 2.2% of the US population. 

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

They don't even point out every time we end sentences with prepositions.

Oh, but I'm thinking it.... 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I can’t think of any other person who is remotely even close to being banned right now. These three, honestly, they probably should have just left on their own or been banned or more heavily warned months ago.

Thankless is the position of the moderator.  Worse is the position of admin. The world is full of a$$hats. Kudos to you all!
My post was lighthearted of course. Weird to think I joined in 09 to discuss this stupid game that we all share. 

- Shane

• Administrator
14 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

Thankless is the position of the moderator.  Worse is the position of admin. The world is full of a$$hats. Kudos to you all!
My post was lighthearted of course. Weird to think I joined in 09 to discuss this stupid game that we all share. 

Yeah, we haven’t managed to get rid of you yet. 😉

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, iacas said:

I can’t think of any other person who is remotely even close to being banned right now. 

Just spit-balling here.

What about banning everyone who wears a white belt? ... Just a thought

Oh WAIT!
Unless their female. White belts are perfectly acceptable for females. 

• Administrator
1 minute ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Just spit-balling here.

What about banning everyone who wears a white belt? ... Just a thought

Oh WAIT!
Unless their female. White belts are perfectly acceptable for females. 

How about banning everyone who doesn’t know the difference between they’re/there/their? 🙂

Your white belt vendetta is as pointless as it gets.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

How about banning everyone who doesn’t know the difference between they’re/there/their? 🙂

Please don't.

• Funny 1
  • Upvote 2

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

9 hours ago, iacas said:

I've got two words for you.... Chicago Public Schools. 🤪

Edited by ChetlovesMer
  • Informative 1

• Administrator
47 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I've got two words for you.... Chicago Public Schools. 🤪

I’ve got two words for you: they’re. 😉

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, iacas said:

Yeah, we haven’t managed to get rid of you yet. 😉

I’ll be honest, I did seriously consider it because he kept trolling us in the Winter Depression thread when he lived in Florida 😜

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

27 minutes ago, iacas said:

I’ve got two words for you: they’re. 😉

I can't compete with you're whit. I complement you on yore no ledge of English. I'm shore my teachers did they're best. Sew, I should probably quit now. 🏳️

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, billchao said:

I’ll be honest, I did seriously consider it because he kept trolling us in the Winter Depression thread when he lived in Florida 😜

Well he's back here in Ohio now and loving every second of it.

The thermal underwear comes out when the temperatures drop in the 60s. You can be sure there will be real tears in his eyes when we get our first dusting of snow.