IGNORED

Posting Solo Scores to Handicap (In 2021)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Posting Solo Rounds (2021)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still often or regularly post solo rounds in violation of the USGA and now WHS rules?

• Yes, I post or plan to post an occasional solo round in breach of the rules of handicapping.
    • No, I obey all of the rules and do not post solo rounds.
    • Something else and/or "Oops, I didn't know this was a rule."

51 minutes ago, jlbos83 said:

I need to find that check box, though solo rounds have been rare lately, with so many more people out there!  I have been guilty of posting solo rounds, but I am convinced to stop.

thegrint.png

thegrint2.png

Edited by dennyjones
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

One problem is that most of the non-solo rounds I play are match. So I'm not playing enough non-solo medal rounds to get a handicap. You'll have to trust my calculations of the best 8 of my last 20 rounds. Will you do that? Will you give me those strokes? i didn't think so. I'll post the rounds anyway and let GHIN do the math for me. I'll consider it my "unofficial HC" since i don't play in official competitions. It's not hurting anyone.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

• Administrator

You can post match play scores.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 2/25/2021 at 11:13 PM, JuliWooli said:

In mainland Europe we have an EDS round (Extra Day Score). We have to pay a small fee to the club for registering these scores and we must play with at least another player. Apart from this our handicap can only be changed in tournaments. I suppose this would be our solo rounds but they must be announced to the club in advance.

The above has been very similar in the UK too.  As a member of a Golf Club, a handicap is gained by submitting three scorecards whilst playing with a fellow member or in some Clubs, a round with the Captain. Then whilst playing in club competitions your handicap is worked out by the computer after each event.  (At my club, not posting your card after a competition round is looked on severely and repeated omissions will result in competition bans. All competitions need to submit their scores for an accurate CSS to be declared.)

However, If you are going through a purple patch and wish to have your handicap reduced you can play a social round with a member or guest that has a recognised handicap.  This is called a Supplementary Round and in order to be able to post a Supplementary card then one must sign the Supplementary Book in the Pro Shop prior to the round. Failing to post the card after the round though will cause your handicap to go up by 0.1.  To be honest, I have never known of a golfer being allowed to post a card after a solo round in the UK.  It was definitely against the R&A rules.

5 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

One problem is that most of the non-solo rounds I play are match. So I'm not playing enough non-solo medal rounds to get a handicap.

As Erik said, you can (actually must) post match play scores, subject to one or two other requirements (play by the rules, play a minimum number of holes, how to determine the score for holes not played, or not finished).  You can refer to Rules 2.1a here for the Authorized Formats:

https://www.usga.org/handicapping/roh/2020-rules-of-handicapping.html

Match play scores have been acceptable for handicap posting in the US for as long as I can remember.  This is one of the areas where the USGA regulations still differ from other parts of the world, which formats produce scores acceptable for handicap posting.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I haven't posted anything in a while, but last time I posted a score I needed to enter the name of the person I was playing with when submitting a score.

I like to play alone a lot of the time, so if handicap is something I want to keep track of I have to do it myself. Easy enough if you have the formula. I don't have the same focus on handicap as I used to and if I usually play the same courses I can just use the score to track progress.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

2 minutes ago, Zeph said:

I haven't posted anything in a while, but last time I posted a score I needed to enter the name of the person I was playing with when submitting a score.

This has never been a requirement in USGA areas, but it seems to me something that could still be required in Europe.

Dave

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 

37 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

This has never been a requirement in USGA areas, but it seems to me something that could still be required in Europe.

I don’t know how much it’s used elsewhere in Europe, but here in Norway it still seems to be a requirement. Not only name the marker, but they have to approve the score before it is registered.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

4 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

As Erik said, you can (actually must) post match play scores, subject to one or two other requirements (play by the rules, play a minimum number of holes, how to determine the score for holes not played, or not finished).  You can refer to Rules 2.1a here for the Authorized Formats:

https://www.usga.org/handicapping/roh/2020-rules-of-handicapping.html

Match play scores have been acceptable for handicap posting in the US for as long as I can remember.  This is one of the areas where the USGA regulations still differ from other parts of the world, which formats produce scores acceptable for handicap posting.

What counts as a hole not finished?

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

17 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

What counts as a hole not finished?

Its explained in those rules, but generally it means that you started the hole, but didn't putt out.  It could be the hole was conceded, your putt was conceded, or your opponent is in with a score you cannot beat.  For those, you post the score you most likely would have made.  For holes you did not even start, you post a score equal to par plus any any handicap strokes you would get, based on your full Course Handicap.

Dave

1 minute ago, colin007 said:

I don't play solo anymore and don't have a handicap, but if I did, I would post my solo rounds.

Why would you specifically choose to break the rules?

Dave

14 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Why would you specifically choose to break the rules?

It's one of those rules that doesn't affect the number of strokes I took, like the signing an incorrect scorecard rule. Keeping a handicap would only be for my information since I don't play in competition. 

Colin P.

7 minutes ago, colin007 said:

It's one of those rules that doesn't affect the number of strokes I took, like the signing an incorrect scorecard rule. Keeping a handicap would only be for my information since I don't play in competition. 

Just my opinion, but if you're not going to follow the rules for handicapping, I don't believe you should keep an official handicap.  I'd suggest that you use an unofficial online handicap calculator, and save yourself the few bucks.

Dave

I follow the rules as they are, however I do think that they should allow the posting of solo rounds. 

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Match play scores don’t count for handicap over here and I don’t think they should. Match play strategy is completely different and the situation may mean taking shots on with a high degree of risk. Risk that you may not take on in a stroke play even. 

Stevie T

2 hours ago, DaveP043 said:

Just my opinion, but if you're not going to follow the rules for handicapping, I don't believe you should keep an official handicap.  I'd suggest that you use an unofficial online handicap calculator, and save yourself the few bucks.

Oh for sure, agreed. It's just one the rules I don't care about.

• Like 1

Colin P.

Note: This thread is 1135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!