IGNORED

Posting Solo Scores to Handicap (In 2021)

iacas
Note: This thread is 1135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Posting Solo Rounds (2021)  

47 members have voted

1. 1. Do you still often or regularly post solo rounds in violation of the USGA and now WHS rules?

• Yes, I post or plan to post an occasional solo round in breach of the rules of handicapping.
    • No, I obey all of the rules and do not post solo rounds.
    • Something else and/or "Oops, I didn't know this was a rule."

• Administrator

Just the poll above, mostly.

Back in 2016, the USGA (in preparation for the WHS that launched in 2020), removed the ability to post solo rounds to GHIN or other handicap services. It became a breach of the rules of handicapping. (I'm just saying you weren't physically unable to post a round.) Solo rounds aren't even truly solo if you play with someone else, even if they aren't playing. They just have to be there to attest to your score.

Many people took an affront to this, saying that the USGA wasn't trusting them to be honest (it wasn't really about that). Many people continued and, to this day, continue to post solo rounds.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't post solo rounds. I really try to obey all the rules. Last year I didn't have enough non-solo rounds to even have a handicap. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I honestly didn’t even know this was a thing. I mean, I started keeping my handicap last March, and my brother was playing with me for most of my rounds back then (and he’s still with me 90% of the time), but a lot of the time he’ll stop after nine holes, and I continue on to the back. 

So what does this mean? I’m going to guess it means that I can legally post only the front nine, or I just can’t post the round at all.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

I took the 3rd option. I kinda knew this was a rule, but kinda didn’t. I wasn’t super attentive to these things when I got back in to golf 3-4 years ago. I probably did this a quite a bit at the time, when I was playing a lot of solo twilight rounds. Now, if I’m lucky enough to be on course alone (maybe 1 or 2 times last year at most) I use it as an opportunity to do things like hit 5 tee shots on a par-3.

More recently, if I happen to play a solo round like a regular game of golf, maybe I’d post it because it’s not all that different than a non-solo round at the courses I play. When I do post rounds, it’s not like me and the people in my group are verifying our scores after each hole and signing each other’s scorecards at the end like competitive play.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator
11 minutes ago, Effington said:

If it's not about trust, what is it about?

We’ve been over this. Five years ago. 🙂

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, dagolfer18 said:

I honestly didn’t even know this was a thing. I mean, I started keeping my handicap last March, and my brother was playing with me for most of my rounds back then (and he’s still with me 90% of the time), but a lot of the time he’ll stop after nine holes, and I continue on to the back. 

So what does this mean? I’m going to guess it means that I can legally post only the front nine, or I just can’t post the round at all.

You're allowed to post only those holes you play with another person, so in your case, post the front 9 only.

And I don't post solo rounds.  I honestly can't remember the last time I played more than two or three holes on my own.

• Thumbs Up 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Member of Golf Canada....I dont post solo rounds. (Golf Canada still allows you to post solo rounds for score keeping purposes though)

The app is pretty clear about asking about playing solo each time so I'd find it hard to believe app users wouldnt know the rule at this point.

This was before I got serious about golf but I later went  back and discovered many were upset that Golf Canada initially didnt agree with the USGAs decision but got dragged into it eventually due to North American pressures.

Has there been any insight into how it has impacted handicaps?

Is the solo thing universal now with the world handicap?

Edited by cutchemist42

Stop posting solo rounds! That’s the rule! 

But two things drive me crazy.

1. players who don’t post because they play poorly and don’t want their HDCP to go down (Vanity).

2. Players who only post Tournament scores.  I want to understand this but where in the rules does it say that a player who plays a casual round doesn’t have to post his/her score because it’s not a Tournament?  Can you argue that against the “Solo Round” that can’t be posted?  Help me understand that.

It’s also very common especially for younger kids to not post scores for several reasons. I’ve been told that young players don’t post scores other than Tournament rounds so that their HDCPs remain low, usually to the plus side due to scholarship opportunities, rankings and tournament opportunities.  How honest is that?  It’s well known btw. I understand it, but the USGA doesn’t care or just looks the other way.  The players are very good, I’ve played with several and they don’t play multiple balls. They shoot below par. But they don’t post the score because they are told not to.

I’ve not played a solo round in years so not an issue, but never realized this was a rule, thus marked the 3rd choice.

Now I know.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

I went option 3......I post solo rounds, wasn’t aware this was a rule, but 90% of my rounds are solo. I did play by the rules or atleast the rules that I’m aware of and have learned on here and other forums......I may play 10 rounds a year with someone else and most of those are scramble tournaments. That may change this year due to more people playing last year and getting more involved in the club. 

11 hours ago, cutchemist42 said:

Is the solo thing universal now with the world handicap?

Prior to the  2016, Canada and the USGA regions were the only ones which allowed posting solo scores.  Now I believe its worldwide.

11 hours ago, Sandy Lie said:

It’s also very common especially for younger kids to not post scores for several reasons. I’ve been told that young players don’t post scores other than Tournament rounds so that their HDCPs remain low, usually to the plus side due to scholarship opportunities, rankings and tournament opportunities.  How honest is that?  It’s well known btw. I understand it, but the USGA doesn’t care or just looks the other way.  The players are very good, I’ve played with several and they don’t play multiple balls. They shoot below par. But they don’t post the score because they are told not to.

I heard that a local high-school coach was telling his players the same thing.  I don't think its the USGA that tolerates this practice, its the local Handicap Committees.  I had a discussion with a couple of parents, and told them that their kids certainly could follow the coach's directions, but that if they did, it was the Handicap Committee responsibility to suspend or withdraw their handicaps.  And if they don't have a valid handicap, they can't enter some of the high-level events that require a maximum handicap.

• Informative 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

I don’t post solo rounds.  I used to play a fair amount of solo “rounds” but, honestly, almost always ended up practicing muffed shots, usually around the greens.  Often I would jump around the course and omit holes or play the holes out of order.  I guess I should refer to them as practice rounds and not solo rounds.  I believe that a score, whether for tournament or handicap, should be attested and that every score be submitted for handicap.  I hate playing handicap events because it’s remarkable how often someone’s posted handicap does not match their game.  Too many times I have seen 13 handicappers breeze to an easy 4 over par round, smile, and pick up the prize.

Driver - Callaway Razr

3-wood - TM Stealth

7-wood - Titleist 

Irons - 5 through PW, Epon 503

Vokey Wedges

Putter - Odyssey TriHot 2

So I understand the rule and I guess it holds people accountable to posting correctly, but there should be a better option.....maybe post only x number of solo rounds a year. If I only posted rounds played with someone that wasn’t in a  tournament format, then I might post 2 rounds a year. That would eventually allow me to have a handicap for a tourney that could be badly skewed by how I am playing or improvements made? 

My club has roughly 125 members and another 50 or so regulars, but given my work schedule and such I play weekday mornings and typically only the retiree group is the only ones out there 

• Administrator
33 minutes ago, Dwall4017 said:

So I understand the rule and I guess it holds people accountable to posting correctly, but there should be a better option.....maybe post only x number of solo rounds a year. If I only posted rounds played with someone that wasn’t in a  tournament format, then I might post 2 rounds a year. That would eventually allow me to have a handicap for a tourney that could be badly skewed by how I am playing or improvements made?

How is that a "better" option? Because it suits you?

The point of a handicap is to create a measure of how you play when playing against or at least with others and following the Rules of Golf. Since you never play solo in a competition, that alone changes things enough to make it less like a tournament round to accept them.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Informative 1

Note: This thread is 1135 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!