IGNORED

Does your girlfriend/wife golf?

Wisco-Kid
Note: This thread is 4395 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Mine has gone to the range with me a few times but hasn't played yet... hopefully sometime this summer when the courses are empty she'll play.  She has gone out a few times with me while I played... that was nice as in the summer I usually end up as a single with the entire course to myself; I liked having the company.

Tristan Hilton

My Equipment: 
PXG 0211 Driver (Diamana S+ 60; 10.5°) · PXG 0211 FWs (Diamana S+ 60; 15° and 21°) · PXG 0211 Hybrids (MMT 80; 22°, 25°, and 28°) · PXG 0311P Gen 2 Irons (SteelFiber i95; 7-PW) · Edel Wedges (KBS Hi-Rev; 50°, 55°, 60°) · Edel Classic Blade Putter (32") · Vice Pro or Maxfli Tour · Pinned Prism Rangefinder · Star Grips · Flightscope Mevo · TRUE Linkswear Shoes · Sun Mountain C130S Bag

On my MacBook Pro:
Analyzr Pro

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm teaching my girlfriend to golf right now. She hits her irons OK, but with a driver or wood in her hands it's another story. She has no touch on the greens, either. But she's trying which is cool. She went to Dick's the other day and got herself some nice golf shoes and a glove and some balls and stuff. We get her playing a beginner set of women's Wilson clubs.

Anybody have any tips for keeping it fun for her? I tend to get pretty technical in explaining things and I don't think I'm helping as much as I'd like to.

My wife does not golf.  She hates the game.  Fine by me.  She does let me go out weekly, and buy all the clubs I want.  She figures it is cheaper than the strip clubs or racing cars.  My one and a half year old daughter on the other hand...... she will golf.  She has been dragging my putters around the house hitting balls, shagging putts for dad.  I already have her clubs picked out.

My wife plays with me on occasion. Definitely does it for the social aspect, but I think she enjoys the game as well. Playing it a bit has given her an appreciation for watching it. Before she thought it was boring to watch, but now she'll watch a couple days of golf with me per year.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by xxsoultonesxx

Anybody have any tips for keeping it fun for her? I tend to get pretty technical in explaining things and I don't think I'm helping as much as I'd like to.

If you do as I did and try to help with grip, stance, wrist cocking etc (the technical analysis way I look at my swing) you'll probably get the same reaction I did...

"I'm not being rude but I don't really care. I just like to hit the ball so let me play MY way..."

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

It is funny that the first thing they want to do is go buy shoes.

The main advice I could give is that, depending on your girlfriend's mood [swings..], just tell her to ask for advice if she needs it. The second they think they have learned something is the second they think they're too good for your advice. So having her ask is a way of making sure you don't overstep the line of being her instructor.

Scratch that... the best advice I could give is to get her a lesson or two. Go in on a group lesson or something.. both of you can get some good tips and it will be fun. As fun as golf can be when all of your flaws are being pointed out. haha

Good luck!

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

My wife has gone to the range with me twice before in the past.  Yesterday, though, she tagged along when I went to a par-3 course nearby and now she's hooked.  Now she wants clubs and lessons.  Looks like soon I won't have to worry about golfing as a single all the time!

• Upvote 1

Sasquatch Tour Bag | '09 Burner driver, 10.5* | Speedline F10 3W | Mashie 3H | Viper MS irons, 4-SW | CG15 60* | White Hot XG #7

My wife used to be a single digit handicap as she was a good athlete who played college tennis. She almost broke 80 at Kapalua Plantation on our honeymoon years ago. But, ever since we had our daughter, who is mentally disabled, she has just about given up the game. We did take a vaction to Vegas two years ago and she broke 100 at Reflection Bay and Royal Links after just playing 2 or 3 times in the previous 7/8 years. But, she hasn't played since. The good thing is she supports my love of the game 100%.

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

There is a mutual understanding with my GF, that golf is my time with my friends to talk trash about our other halves.

Her time is at volleyball.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

My wife golfs and I love it. One thing is, she gets nippley when she hits a good shot,(she gets soo excited) too funny, it is distracting for other players. When we joined the country club and she was just starting out, she would come home and say "I think there's time to get 9 in" I'd have a collared shirt on so fast it would make your head spin. Now when I come home from a sun tourney or something she will have the pga on and update the leaderboard to me when I first come in. We watch the tours (all of them) almost every weekend. Last year she told her mom what she wanted for her birthday was a synthetic putting green in the backyard. Her new thing is to play where the pros play, where ever we go traveling, so we can watch the tour event and remember playing there. Some of my my buddies in golf league wish their wives played, most golf to get away from their wives. I count myself lucky.

Way lucky! Good for you!

taylormade.gif R9 460 9.5* Stiff
cobra.gif Baffler 2h
 JPX 800 Pro 4-PW  *New! eBay gamble paid off!*
cleveland.gif CG14 52* /  MP T-10 56* /  callaway.gif Vintage Tour X Wedge 60*

taylormade.gif Spider Ghost /  Z Star Yellow

Great thread!  I really enjoyed the previous posts.

I purchased my gf (soon to be fiance) clubs a couple years back for her birthday so that she could take a golf class in college.  Not so sure she's hooked, but does enjoy occasionally playing golf with me (and she has a lady friend who is trying to make it as a pro) so she supports my 'addiction'- not that I'm trying for pro aspirations.  The scary part is that her short game is VERY good after very little instruction, but I don't think she has the patience for really improving her game.

It's been an interesting process of being very conservative with suggesting 'tips' for improving play vs. just enjoying the game for what it is "for better or worse" that I will certainly try to hone with future children (certainly don't want to come on too strong).  I don't like to give any sort of advice unless it's asked for, especially on the course!  Personal experience, both success and failure, is what is paramount for a beginner IMHO. We've had some good times just chipping/putting around the practice green...

At the same time, I'm glad she appreciates what I do, but doesn't (at this time) want to be a HUGE part of it.  We each need our own "things" that we enjoy apart from one another.  The same is certainly true for my bass fishing addiction!  I've also purchased her fishing gear to make that option available.  So long as I have to sometimes tag along on shopping sprees, I'm OK with her position on golf and fishing.  Gotta have some time to yourself just relaxing on the course or lake, right?

My wife and I are in our 40's & took up golf together last fall.    It's a great way for us to spend time together & get some exercise.       She's avid & enjoys going, but just isn't serious about it as I am.      Hard for her to find the time to practice - I go out of my way to make the time.     She does get frustrated, but I think the next step is to get her set up with some lessons so she doesn't get discouraged ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

My wife didn't get why I loved golf so much. She decided once to tag along at one of our golf matches. I usually get a cart and ride around checking in on the kids and giving some tips when I can. We have a very hilly course with amazing views that go out for miles. About half way through the match she said now I see why you want to be out here. She decided to she wanted to learn so I started teaching her but it didn't go to well..lol. I ended up turning her over to our local golf pro who gives her some free lessons which was really funny and she came back and said, wow, he's telling me the same stuff you were. She doesn't play much but does enjoy it enough that we enter some couples tournaments on our home course.

Originally Posted by gn87berner

My wife golfs and I love it. One thing is, she gets nippley when she hits a good shot,(she gets soo excited) too funny, it is distracting for other players. When we joined the country club and she was just starting out, she would come home and say "I think there's time to get 9 in" I'd have a collared shirt on so fast it would make your head spin. Now when I come home from a sun tourney or something she will have the pga on and update the leaderboard to me when I first come in. We watch the tours (all of them) almost every weekend. Last year she told her mom what she wanted for her birthday was a synthetic putting green in the backyard. Her new thing is to play where the pros play, where ever we go traveling, so we can watch the tour event and remember playing there. Some of my my buddies in golf league wish their wives played, most golf to get away from their wives. I count myself lucky.

Wow, that really is lucky.  I wish I could get my wife interested in playing.  She complains it's too slow and it's too hard to hit the ball so she feels unconfident.  I'm not one of those who needs some time away from their wife, so when I have a chance to be around her, I don't play.  Having her play would definitely get me out there much more.  I also feel like she's missing out on a great day in a beautiful place.  Oh well, I'll just keep offering and maybe someday she'll take the leap.  She will watch the last few holes on sunday with me though, so I guess that's something.

Originally Posted by gn87berner

That's awesome. My wife doesn't play and I don't play to get away from her. We've talked about her playing but she just doesn't want to. She'll watch the majors with me and has expressed interest in going to Bay Hill with me next year, that's good enough for right now.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

I have tried to get my girlfriend to golf, and actually I think she likes it and may continue. Now I don't know how to get her to continue though, I suggested she takes lessons from someone other than me, and that my dad would probably give her lessons for free. She said she would be embarrassed to get lessons and insisted I help her. After a few successful range trips I took her to a par 3 course. We were holding up a few groups behind us so I told her to pick up her ball...

:whistle:

Yep, she sure does and is a natural athlete so she plays very well indeed. Kicks my arse on the golf course, practices every day and plays 3 times a week. A total Golf nutter and psychoticly competitive.

Golf for me, is just a pleasant walk in the park!

Note: This thread is 4395 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!