IGNORED

Is Phil the 3rd Best Player of All Time?

DeadMan
Note: This thread is 1031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've been hesitant to weigh in on this because I am very biased.  I really like Phil and want him to be #3.  But I will try to be objective.   As for the arguments that Phil was not "Dominant" and not "#1 in WGR" IMO that is not relevant since we are discussing #3 overall and many lesser players had short stints at World #1 and they are not in the conversation.  The real challenge to who is #3 is between Hogan & Mickelson.  I know, Hagen has 11 Majors but much lower SOF.  I have accepted that in the case of Tiger/Niklaus 15 > 18.  Phil wins the SOF points over Hogan but saying 6 > 9 is a harder for me than than saying 15 > 18.  Another factor is longevity.  Phil is still competitive after 30 years.  Hogan was competitive @ 20 years ( @ 1940-1958/9) and that says a lot to me.    

For now I am going call it a tie with a biased leaning towards Phil.  WHEN Phil wins at Torey Pines that will cement his position in my mind.  OK, I am not claiming to be psychic, just hopeful.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Unfortunately Phil won’t make the cut.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

On 6/9/2021 at 7:06 PM, iacas said:

:hmm:

Pet peeve. Sorry. Pretty sure Phil outranks anyone named Nicholas. 😄

Are you sure about that? Alison Nicholas actually won a US Open.

• Administrator
22 minutes ago, PeaceFrogg said:

Are you sure about that? Alison Nicholas actually won a US Open.

Ha ha.But did she win five other majors?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

41 minutes ago, ncates00 said:

No. 

Can you stop being so verbose!😜 BTW, I agree. 

• Funny 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
3 hours ago, Billy Z said:

Does Phil's Ryder Cup record make a statement saying "I am the 3rd best player of all time"? 

https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/phil-mickelsons-ryder-cup-career-record

I don’t factor Ryder Cup records into this.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

46 minutes ago, iacas said:

I don’t factor Ryder Cup records into this.

God no. It would bring Poulter into the discussion...😜

• Funny 1

Vishal S.

4 hours ago, Billy Z said:

Does Phil's Ryder Cup record make a statement saying "I am the 3rd best player of all time"? 

https://www.rydercup.com/news-media/phil-mickelsons-ryder-cup-career-record

I don't take exhibitions into account in evaluating players' careers.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Yea, the Ryder Cup doesn't matter in this. 

Not the fact that the Ryder Cup wasn't even including all of Europe till after 1979. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Note: This thread is 1031 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!