IGNORED

USGA GHIN App Has GPS Feature (and Other Updates)

boogielicious

I just checked my USGA GHIN app and they notified me of a new GPS feature. It looks interesting. I will check it out next time I play. Here are the notification screen shots. My name is not John Doe BTW. 
8D05B6EB-86D1-4A31-B6E9-1CD624B56872.png
434ACED1-1B27-4BFD-A3D2-44B403B731C3.png74D1EA03-5731-4C91-997E-3699FAFF881E.png444FC14A-FFDC-43C1-A224-400D1FA8A2FE.png

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I just opened and looked at my USGA GHIN app and don't see a GPS option. Where is it located?

Ahhh, never mind. Found out that there's an app update that needs to be installed. I'll check it out after the update is complete. Thanks.

Edited by Zippo

I am generally hesitant to do anything with my phone during a round (my previous phone, which I replaced over two and a half years ago, went through battery like it was candy), but I may check this out at some point, if nothing else so I have a backup for my laser and my GPS device.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Thanks, @boogielicious. I found it in the updated app and it seems to function fine. Nice big map image of the holes with distances to all hole features. I'll check it out on the course. My phone is already on my cart and running Arccos so it'll be interesting to see if, as @Shindig suggests, it places too much additional demand on the battery.

I see the green maps are an additional charge. Probably not for me, at my skill level.

• iacas changed the title to USGA GHIN App Now Has GPS Feature
  • Administrator

Here's the image from the email the USGA sent.

usga_ghin_gps_update.png

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Looks like a great feature, but unfortunately at the moment they don't have any courses near me that it will work on. I contacted them through the app asking if they had a current list of all supported courses. I got an immediate response stating they don't have a list available. 

Eh.... if it also kept the score in the same window I would be more interested, unless I am not seeing the option. I'll stick with golfshot.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

2 hours ago, Valleygolfer said:

Eh.... if it also kept the score in the same window I would be more interested, unless I am not seeing the option. I'll stick with golfshot.

I checked out the app and I guess you can keep score with it and the GPS.

• Thumbs Up 1

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I saw something about a paid version with putting help and green heat maps.   Definitely looks interesting.  

—Adam

22 minutes ago, imsys0042 said:

I saw something about a paid version with putting help and green heat maps.   Definitely looks interesting.  

Are you allowed to get electronic putting help during a round?  If you had asked me this a few days ago, I'd have guessed no, but it's in the USGA's app.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

35 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Are you allowed to get electronic putting help during a round?  If you had asked me this a few days ago, I'd have guessed no, but it's in the USGA's app.

I don’t see the difference between reading a piece of paper and something that would be static content on an app.   But it’ll be interesting to see what this is.

—Adam

Interesting that they included the putting maps, I know they are legal (unless barred by local rule) but I thought they frowned upon them.

My Weapons of Grass Destruction:

:titleist: TS2 10.5*;  917F2 15*;  818H1 19*;  716 AP2 4-P;  Pro V1x

:vokey: SM7's - 50.12 F, 56.14 F, 60.08 M

:odyssey: Black Series 3

:footjoy:  :oakley: 

3 hours ago, paperclip said:

Interesting that they included the putting maps, I know they are legal (unless barred by local rule) but I thought they frowned upon them.

I thought that as well.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

9 hours ago, paperclip said:

If they're legal, and they're trying to offer a "full service platform" for a fee, why would they choose not to provide them?  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

8 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

If they're legal, and they're trying to offer a "full service platform" for a fee, why would they choose not to provide them?  

They are limiting green reading books to a certain "Scale" but I'm not sure how that applies to electronic green maps.  My gut tells me an electronic app is not allowed under the rules of golf but I'm not an rules expert.  Maybe legal as long as it does not violate the "Scale" requirements?

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

3 minutes ago, StuM said:

They are limiting green reading books to a certain "Scale" but I'm not sure how that applies to electronic green maps.  My gut tells me an electronic app is not allowed under the rules of golf but I'm not an rules expert.  Maybe legal as long as it does not violate the "Scale" requirements?

Interpretation 4.3a/1 addresses both paper and electronic versions.  Essentially, the scale on your device cannot be enlarged beyond the limits set, and the device may not indicate a recommended line of play.

• Informative 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

12 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Interpretation 4.3a/1 addresses both paper and electronic versions.  Essentially, the scale on your device cannot be enlarged beyond the limits set, and the device may not indicate a recommended line of play.

I'm guessing whatever's in the USGA app would be totally legal.  Otherwise what a mess that'd be...

On 8/4/2021 at 1:26 PM, KoHo said:

Looks like a great feature, but unfortunately at the moment they don't have any courses near me that it will work on. I contacted them through the app asking if they had a current list of all supported courses. I got an immediate response stating they don't have a list available. 

Cancel that...they are available now ..