IGNORED

2022 U.S. Open at The Country Club, Brookline, MA

Friz

11 minutes ago, Sandy Divot said:

They showed a graphic early in the round, and mentioned Jack and Inkster.

Yes he said the infographic got it right. But the announcers later didn’t mention her. 

• Thumbs Up 1

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Fitzpatrick is 108th in driving distance at 298 according to   PGATour.com I thought it would have been higher. 

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

What a great last day and result, major wins for English players don't happen too often but are always enjoyable. Congratulations Matt Fitzpatrick 

1 minute ago, nevets88 said:

Fitzpatrick is 108th in driving distance at 298 according to   PGATour.com I thought it would have been higher. 

They were talking about him finding an extra 20 yards off the tee , but he was a short hitter to start though right?

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Shindig said:

What does Zalatoris have on his belt to his right (camera left) of the buckle?  

Probably his money clip, which is typically your access/player's badge.

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

Juli Inkster needs an apology from NBC.  The infographic got it right -- she also won a US Open and a US Am at the same course, but several people in today's broadcast said Jack and Matt are the only two to have done so.

Juli didn't win a U.S. Amateur or a U.S. Open. She won a U.S. Women's Am and a U.S. Women's Open. 😉

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Wasn’t rooting for Fitzpatrick but what an amazing tournament

that shot out of the bunker on 18 was insane

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

Great gritty battle. Z keeps knocking on the door. One of these days someone will have to let him in. It could have been him holding the trophy for the same price. That short putting stroke though.. lol. It's an interestingly functional yip if I've ever seen one.

Fitz showed ball striking is king though. Very deserving. 

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

Scheffler had two days in a row where he looked like he was going to run away with it on the front 9 only to slip up on the back. Golf is Hard ™️ 

From a Boston Globe article on Will Z.

Matt’s shot on 18 is going to be shown probably for the rest of US Open history,’’ Zalatoris said.

Zalatoris was gracious and positive in his remarks, complimentary of Fitzpatrick’s gutsy second shot from a fairway bunker at 18 to 18 feet. But Fitzpatrick didn’t need that birdie like Zalatoris did. 

’’I’m just fresh coming off of 18 because I thought I had it, and it just happened to stay out there — this one hasn’t sunk in,’’ said Zalatoris. “I honestly don’t know what to take from this yet. I was pretty pleased just because I’m known for my ball-striking. I’m sure all the Instagram morons are going to say it has something to do with my left wrist flexion coming down, but I promise you, it’s got nothing to do with it.

He’s right about Instagram morons!😜

• Like 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

11 hours ago, Moxley said:

What a great last day and result, major wins for English players don't happen too often but are always enjoyable. Congratulations Matt Fitzpatrick 

They were talking about him finding an extra 20 yards off the tee , but he was a short hitter to start though right?

Fitzpatrick was 16th in driving distance for the UsOpen, 6th I think in fairways hit and 1st in GIR. His approach play has been top notch all week. 

Stevie T

55 minutes ago, Beastie said:

Fitzpatrick was 16th in driving distance for the UsOpen, 6th I think in fairways hit and 1st in GIR. His approach play has been top notch all week. 

GIR is King!

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

I'm extremely impressed with Zalatoris and his putting improvement. The guy has put the work in and gone from this very uncomfortable, herky-jerky stroke to something much smoother and is so much quicker over the ball. 

Plus, its one thing to do all that work and then put it into practice in, say, a practice round or even a smaller tournament -- but to be able to carry that over to the US Open is amazing. 

My one worry with him is that, despite all of his close calls, he hasn't won yet. I think he will win his fair share of tournaments, but (and I'm stealing this either from this forum or twitter, cant remember which) I wonder if if he's more Rickie Fowler than anybody else. Rickie came awful close a bunch, too, once upon a time. 

• Like 1

Hunter Bishop

"i was an aspirant once of becoming a flamenco guitarist, but i had an accident with my fingers"

My Bag

Titleist TSI3 | TaylorMade Sim 2 Max 3 Wood | 5 Wood | Edel 3-PW | 52° | 60° | Blade Putter

33 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

My one worry with him is that, despite all of his close calls, he hasn't won yet. I think he will win his fair share of tournaments, but (and I'm stealing this either from this forum or twitter, cant remember which) I wonder if if he's more Rickie Fowler than anybody else. Rickie came awful close a bunch, too, once upon a time. 

I hope he never says he wants his wedge shot back.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

51 minutes ago, jbishop15 said:

My one worry with him is that, despite all of his close calls, he hasn't won yet.

Damn, guess the expectations have risen quite high now? He’s young. And he’s still young per Tour standards. I’d say his career is off to a golden start. I don’t have any worries for him at all.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

7 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Damn, guess the expectations have risen quite high now? He’s young. And he’s still young per Tour standards. I’d say his career is off to a golden start. I don’t have any worries for him at all.

With this major record, expectations are VERY high

49CD9A45-D1B9-43EC-93CA-3B74C299EB07.jpeg

Hunter Bishop

My Bag

• Administrator

Thing is… this might be his hot streak. He might never win one.

Another podcast compared him to Sergio. All ball striking, no putting… and he'll likely get a major some day, but it might just be one. Or none.

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I see some clarity now in the “best players who haven’t yet won a major” situation. I discern four groups:

(1) Most likely - Zalatoris, Schauffele, Cameron Smith, Patrick Cantlay, and maybe Tony Finau (who has historically performed well in majors, but I just don’t know).

(2) Upstarts who will sort themselves out over the next few years - Hovland, Niemann, Im, Cameron Young, Sam Burns, others. New names continually present themselves here, and just as quickly flame out (Matthew Wolff).

(3) Mid-career guys who have Top 10’d in a few majors and are outside possibilities - Daniel Berger, Tommy Fleetwood, Corey Conners, Tyrrell Hatton, etc. 

(4) Those whose moment has probably passed - Fowler, Branden Grace, Marc Leishman, Paul Casey, Ian Poulter, etc. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, PatrickMurtha said:

Patrick Cantlay

Big no there.

6CDF7C05-EE96-4FA2-AA01-0D61FDF333BF.jpeg

9 minutes ago, iacas said:

Big no there.

Well, his record in majors is not sterling quality yet. But neither was Reed’s or Fitzpatrick’s until they “broke through” at that level. Unscientifically, Cantlay feels like a potential major winner to me, although of course opinions will differ. 

Edited by PatrickMurtha

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, PatrickMurtha said:

Well, his record in majors is not sterling quality yet. But neither was Reed’s or Fitzpatrick’s until they “broke through” at that level. Unscientifically, Cantlay feels like a potential major winner to me, although of course opinions will differ. 

He’s been a top player for a number of years and has not performed in very many big events.

Will Zalatoris has already had significantly more success in majors than he has.