IGNORED

AimPoint - The Original

ChrisTheGuitarist

After all the fairly heated debate about those original charts, Aim Point seem to have gone quiet about that era in their life and now fully promote the chubby finger extending arm version.  Anyone tried it?  Anyone found out what happened to all those books and charts?  Was Geoff Mangum right all along - he seems quiet nowadays?

35 minutes ago, ChrisTheGuitarist said:

After all the fairly heated debate about those original charts, Aim Point seem to have gone quiet about that era in their life and now fully promote the chubby finger extending arm version.  Anyone tried it?  Anyone found out what happened to all those books and charts?  Was Geoff Mangum right all along - he seems quiet nowadays?

Do you mean these? DvNmsEPVAAElXz9.thumb.jpg.8c9416fa6630f8682922a05d86563381.jpg

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

31 minutes ago, ChrisTheGuitarist said:

I learned the original AimPoint Midpoint method with charts. I also have subsequently learned AimPoint Express. They are both very accurate.

Express simplified the chart method by allowing you to use your fingers at various lengths from your eyes to calibrate to green speeds. It is an improvement too because you don’t necessarily need to figure out where the high point angle is you your line.

As you can see from watching golf, many of the top players and their caddies use this method because it is very accurate and very fast. I use it on every putt. I highly recommend it.

I’ve read Geoff M’s putting stuff. He was incorrect about AimPoint.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
4 hours ago, ChrisTheGuitarist said:

After all the fairly heated debate about those original charts

What debate?

Aim Point seem to have gone quiet about that era in their life and now fully promote the chubby finger extending arm version.

They didn't go "quiet" so much as move on to a better, more teachable version. But given your comments, like "chubby finger extending arm version," it's clear your slant on this.

Anyone tried it?

Anyone taught it?

🙋🏻‍♂️

Anyone found out what happened to all those books and charts?

Not sure what you mean.

Was Geoff Mangum right all along - he seems quiet nowadays?

No.

If, to our surprise, you're actually looking for an honest discussion here, please clarify what you mean. If, however, you're just here to take pot shots, and not to learn and understand, then thanks for nothing.

• Funny 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

5 hours ago, ChrisTheGuitarist said:

I can't comment on the charts but I began using Aim Point Express last year and my putting has improved considerably after only 1 lesson.  It is easy and fast so it works great for me.

• Thumbs Up 1

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

I've had an Aimpoint Express class and it was some of the best $$ I've spent on golf.    I believe in it so much, I'm doing a refresher class in a couple weeks.     Learning to read greens was an eye opener for me.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

9 minutes ago, dennyjones said:

I've had an Aimpoint Express class and it was some of the best $$ I've spent on golf.    I believe in it so much, I'm doing a refresher class in a couple weeks.     Learning to read greens was an eye opener for me.  

really need to do this.  I took a classic AimPoint class, and I've long since moved away from using the charts (I'm not sure I remember how).  I more or less try to feel which direction is downhill these days.

Funny thing is, there's an AimPoint instructor, I think he's got some high number on their system (where 1 is a newer AimPoint instructor, I think), who teaches near where the rest of my family lives.  He even wrote a book about putting (that I haven't read).  Amazingly, I remembered his name and just searched my gmail and, sure enough, I exchanged email with him in late 2017 asking about availability, and said I'd get back to him... think he'd mind if I contact him again five years later?  I would bet he's not teaching this summer, but that doesn't mean I can't take a lesson from him in Fall. :-)  

Maybe this comment from me belongs in the "stop conning yourself" thread. 

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

I exchanged email with him in late 2017 asking about availability, and said I'd get back to him... think he'd mind if I contact him again five years later?  I would bet he's not teaching this summer, but that doesn't mean I can't take a lesson from him in Fall. :-)  

I think you are good, You did not say “when” you would get back to him. Very open ended.

Stuart M.

I am a "SCRATCH GOLFER".  I hit ball, Ball hits Tree, I scratch my head. 😜

Driver: Ping G410 Plus 10.5* +1* / 3 Hybrid: Cleveland HIBORE XLS / 4,5 & 6 Hybrids: Mizuno JP FLI-HI / Irons/Wedges 7-8-9-P-G: Mizuno JPX800 HD / Sand Wedge: Mizuno JPX 800 / Lob Wedge: Cleveland CBX 60* / Putter: Odyssey White Hot OG 7S / Balls: Srixon Soft / Beer: Labatt Blue (or anything nice & cold) 

I have wanted to take an aimpoint class for a long time. I even half planned one with Eric up in Erie for late March this year. 
BUT, I ended up getting invited on a golf trip to Vegas that same weekend and did that instead. 

If anyone wants to put together a group lesson in Erie, I'd be interested. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• Administrator
2 hours ago, Shindig said:

really need to do this.  I took a classic AimPoint class, and I've long since moved away from using the charts (I'm not sure I remember how).  I more or less try to feel which direction is downhill these days.

Funny thing is, there's an AimPoint instructor, I think he's got some high number on their system (where 1 is a newer AimPoint instructor, I think), who teaches near where the rest of my family lives.  He even wrote a book about putting (that I haven't read).  Amazingly, I remembered his name and just searched my gmail and, sure enough, I exchanged email with him in late 2017 asking about availability, and said I'd get back to him... think he'd mind if I contact him again five years later?  I would bet he's not teaching this summer, but that doesn't mean I can't take a lesson from him in Fall. :-)  

Maybe this comment from me belongs in the "stop conning yourself" thread. 

Or… we can do it in about 15-30 minutes when you're here.

Just now, ChetlovesMer said:

I have wanted to take an aimpoint class for a long time. I even half planned one with Eric up in Erie for late March this year. 
BUT, I ended up getting invited on a golf trip to Vegas that same weekend and did that instead. 

We've done group ones here in Erie before. March is a great time of year to do it. 😉

• Like 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

26 minutes ago, iacas said:

Or… we can do it in about 15-30 minutes when you're here.

That sounds a lot better, thanks.  I will continue practicing the other two fundamentals of putting (bead and speed) of course.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

3 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Do it over zoom lol! Aimpoint has been on my todo list for a few years but there is no instructor within 3 hrs of me.

:whistle:

8 hours ago, jshots said:

Do it over zoom lol! Aimpoint has been on my todo list for a few years but there is no instructor within 3 hrs of me.

They do have a video you can buy.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 5 months later...

Not sure if this belongs here or in it's own post.

I heard Chris "Soly" Solomon on the Sony recap podcast (I think it was this one) say that Aim Point should be against the rules. I couldn't tell if it was a one of the NLU bits or if he was being serious, but I think it was serious. Something about how straddling the line of the putt is the same as testing your lie.

Not that NLU is always known for great takes (distance stuff, other rules takes come to mind), but I thought this was extra stupid. Did anyone else listen to this, and is there any merit to that take that I am somehow overlooking?

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

Not sure if this belongs here or in it's own post.

I heard Chris "Soly" Solomon on the Sony recap podcast (I think it was this one) say that Aim Point should be against the rules. I couldn't tell if it was a one of the NLU bits or if he was being serious, but I think it was serious. Something about how straddling the line of the putt is the same as testing your lie.

Not that NLU is always known for great takes (distance stuff, other rules takes come to mind), but I thought this was extra stupid. Did anyone else listen to this, and is there any merit to that take that I am somehow overlooking?

Mention is around 53 minute mark of NLU Episode 633, thought it was at the end of the episode so had to skip around until I found it.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

No, it's just extra stupid.

They're particularly bad on the Rules of Golf type stuff.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 1

• iacas changed the title to AimPoint - The Original

Mention is around 53 minute mark of NLU Episode 633, thought it was at the end of the episode so had to skip around until I found it.

I listened, and its fairly typical stuff from Aimpoint detractors.  He doesn't like the look of a player straddling the line, and he thinks its slow.  He apparently doesn't realize that its entirely possible to use Aimpoint by standing a little to the side of the intended line, and that when done right, Aimpoint is every bit as fast, or faster, than traditional green reading.  And like most people who want rules changes, he hasn't given a thought as to how to write an effective and enforceable rule.  But its an opinion, and those guys make their money by having opinions that attract an audience.

• Like 2
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • Upvote 1

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Soly stated 

Unless someone can explain to me why this is essential to the game and is a good thing then take it away

What an absolutely horrible take. It doesn't work like that.

If you're the one claiming it should be banned, it's on you to state why you think it is harming the game and giving certain players an unfair advantage and thus should be banned.

The burden of proof should be on him. You prove to me why this isn't a good thing, and simply "it doesn't look good to watch on TV" is not a valid reason even though that was one of his main points. 

Prove to me that players who use Aimpoint are slower on the greens than players who do "traditional" green reading. And not only that, but prove to me that Aimpoint players are breaking pace of play rules while on the greens while non Aimpoint players are not.

Their content is among my favorite golf content to consume but that particular take was awful IMO.

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :srixon: Z Star XV