IGNORED

The Pro Tours Random Thoughts and Musings Thread

colin007

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, jxdama said:

12 under  par  for the  cut  on this brutally  hard  course this week.

New schtick, please.

1. It's after three rounds
  2. amateurs play, so the course setup can't be too brutal or they'd never finish

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/20/2024 at 4:58 PM, iacas said:

New schtick, please.

1. It's after three rounds
  2. amateurs play, so the course setup can't be too brutal or they'd never finish

I finish every round  i play. Every  course  is  brutal to me. . Lets  congratulate Dunlap on a  great win. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Same dumb schtick since joining.

• Administrator
8 hours ago, jxdama said:

I finish every round  i play. Every  course  is  brutal to me. . Let’s  congratulate Dunlap on a  great win. 

Missed the point. Again.

Pro-am events see easier hole locations for pace of play.

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

On 1/21/2024 at 10:22 PM, jxdama said:

I finish every round  i play. Every  course  is  brutal to me. . Lets  congratulate Dunlap on a  great win. 

I just stumbled on this from ESPN:

Nick Dunlap, who on Sunday became only the fifth amateur to win on tour since 1950, is turning pro and accepting membership on the PGA Tour.

No big surprise that he's taking a pass on the remainder of his college career in favor of turning pro, he's proven that he has what it takes to have a chance to succeed.  

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I just stumbled on this from ESPN:

Nick Dunlap, who on Sunday became only the fifth amateur to win on tour since 1950, is turning pro and accepting membership on the PGA Tour.

No big surprise that he's taking a pass on the remainder of his college career in favor of turning pro, he's proven that he has what it takes to have a chance to succeed.  

I thought he might finish out the season and turn pro in May, after NCAAs.

3 minutes ago, iacas said:

I thought he might finish out the season and turn pro in May, after NCAAs.

Yeah, he's quoted that one of the toughest elements in making the decision now was knowing that he wouldn't be finishing the season with his college team.  I suppose knowing that he'd given up a winner's check for $1.5 mil might encourage him to make the change sooner rather than later.

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
1 hour ago, DaveP043 said:

Yeah, he's quoted that one of the toughest elements in making the decision now was knowing that he wouldn't be finishing the season with his college team.  I suppose knowing that he'd given up a winner's check for $1.5 mil might encourage him to make the change sooner rather than later.

Yeah, but… I imagine the $5M or whatever he could get from endorsements would still be there in May, too. The $1.5M was already gone when he entered the event.

47 minutes ago, iacas said:

I imagine the $5M or whatever he could get from endorsements would still be there in May, too.

I was thinking about this the other day - I wonder how NIL affected this. He probably already had a large equipment deal after winning the Am. Potentially a few others, too. It's possible he's not looking at many additional endorsement deals because he already has them through NIL rules. Maybe it's more about prize money than it is about endorsement dollars? 

This is admittedly pure speculation, but I do wonder if could be a part of his decision. I could also be talking complete BS.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Smart play IMO.....school will always be there.  My understanding that if he did not turn pro, he would lose a year's eligibility for the PGAT.  Not to mention he can play in all of the elevated events (guaranteed $$$), 3/4 majors and could still qualify for the PGA.....and the Fedex for this season.   He can finish up his degree anytime.

You never know what can happen....he could suffer an injury which could his affect his future ability. (Thinking Zalatoris and how he hasn't been the same recently) 

2 hours ago, elementz said:

Smart play IMO.....school will always be there.  My understanding that if he did not turn pro, he would lose a year's eligibility for the PGAT.  Not to mention he can play in all of the elevated events (guaranteed $$$), 3/4 majors and could still qualify for the PGA.....and the Fedex for this season.   He can finish up his degree anytime.

I think the staying in "school" thing was more about finishing his NCAA career this spring, not the academic part of completing his degree.

He very well might still be enrolled in the classes he was attending a few weeks ago. Just because you turn pro in golf (or any sport) doesn't mean you have to drop out of classes/the university.

2 hours ago, elementz said:

You never know what can happen....he could suffer an injury which could his affect his future ability. (Thinking Zalatoris and how he hasn't been the same recently) 

Using Zalatoris' recent performances is a poor analogy IMO, he's only played in 3 events since returning from injury and his last 5 rounds have all been in the 60s. 

Driver: :callaway: Rogue Max ST LS
Woods:  :cobra: Darkspeed LS 3Wood/3Hybrid
Irons: :tmade: P770 (4-PW)
Wedges: :callaway: MD3 50   MD5 54 58 degree  
Putter: :odyssey:  White Hot RX #1
Ball: :titleist: ProV1x Left Dash

Don't remember the pro but one multiple PGA tour winner was presented with a similar scenario when he had the chance to turn pro. His mindset was that if he was so good as he and all people thought, he would just wait a couple of years to finish college and then turn pro and win millions.
He did so and It went perfect for him. Don't know is there a PGA pro that was a prodigy and because of turning pro too early disappeared years later without any kind of success.

If you are confident in your own abilities, you are not in a harry to turn pro. You know that eventually you are going to get all that money back and more.  

It can go the other way too. They can have a performance peak as amateur, stay amateur a few more years and then fizzle out.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

• Administrator
6 hours ago, elementz said:

Smart play IMO.....school will always be there.  My understanding that if he did not turn pro, he would lose a year's eligibility for the PGAT.

That's not my understanding. I think he could have accepted after the 2025 season and still had eligibility through 2027 or at least 2026.

Plus he has "past champion" status. 😉 

We will see in a few years how he pans out. Could be another Ty Tryon. If I was him, I'd ride the momentum he has right now and ride that on the PGAT. Time will tell. 

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

• Administrator
38 minutes ago, snapfade said:

We will see in a few years how he pans out. Could be another Ty Tryon. If I was him, I'd ride the momentum he has right now and ride that on the PGAT. Time will tell. 

a) he's 20
b) he's already won on the PGA Tour

He's not Ty Tryon.

37 minutes ago, iacas said:

a) he's 20
b) he's already won on the PGA Tour

He's not Ty Tryon.

I mean it in the way the media can/will hype up a guy to be the next big thing then it doesn't work out that way, and Ty is the only one who came to mind.

:tmade: Stealth2 driver, 3 Fairway  :titleist: TSR 4 Hy. T-300 5-PW  :vokey: 52/56/60 SM9

:scotty_cameron: Newport Select 2 (2022 model) 

:snell: MTB Prime 3.0, :adidas: Tour360 22

Best  golf  in many months  on any tour today. Nelly Korda started with a  4 shot  lead then choked that away to trail Ko by 3 with 2 to play. She then goes  on the eagle and  birdie the  last  2 holes to force a  playoff. Best golf  in a  very  long time as Ko is also trying to qualify  for the  HOF.

Edited by jxdama

Same dumb schtick since joining.