IGNORED

95 - 2 x GIR Spreadsheet

iacas

• Administrator

In Lowest Score Wins we cited a commonly used formula that illustrates the importance of GIR. We've found it to generally be pretty accurate if you're a fairly "average" golfer who can shoot anywhere from about 70 to 90 or 95.

The formula is: 95 - (2 x GIR) = Score.

The parentheses aren't necessary, but highlight the order of operations. 😄 

Anyway, I've heard from a few students lately who are pretty typical. Most have fit this formula, one was way off. When you're way off, I think it's a result of something weird: unusually large greens, a bunch of penalty strokes, a horrible putting day, something.

So, I wanted to start to track this a bit.

Post here when you have a score, and add it to the spreadsheet here:

ADP-6oFN10CA_dHUQOOBycB9Owij_t9XugAQSlq_

Sheet1 Enter your name, date, score, GIR, penalties (OB/lost are 2), and putts. Let's see how closely the 95-2xGIR prediction is! Player,Date,Score,GIR,Penalties,Putts,Prediction,Error,With 31...

Thank you!

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• iacas changed the title to 95 - 2 x GIR Spreadsheet

I’m atypical? I’m shocked 😜

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Funny 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I entered this year's data.   I buck the premise.    This year I'm averaging 4.8 GIR with and nGIR at 6.7.   I am averaging 91, 2 penalties / round and 34 putts / round.   I've played 8 different courses.  

I stand corrected.   Looking at the spreadsheet closer, my scores align with 31 putts.  

Edited by dennyjones
  • Thumbs Up 1

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• Administrator

I just added my round yesterday.

75 with 8 GIR is a 79 predicted by the formula. I had 29 putts, though, so that helped. No penalties.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I added my round from Saturday. 94 with 5 GIR, 37 putts and 4 penalty strokes.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

On 5/14/2023 at 5:35 PM, billchao said:

I’m atypical? I’m shocked 😜

I just saw your round where you hit 11 greens! Looks like a wild ride! 

I put up 7 scores. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5* | Rad Tour 18.5* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

38 minutes ago, TourSpoon said:

I just saw your round where you hit 11 greens! Looks like a wild ride! 

I like to keep rounds interesting.

Not by choice 😉

• Thumbs Up 1

Bill

My Swing Thread

Kind of a crazy round this morning. 4 birdies, an eagle, and 5 bogies. 4 bogies were from a bad tee shot and the other was a 3 putt. Tried to force the draw too much. When it worked, I birdied or close to. When it didn’t, bogey. 

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Put in my score from last Weds (just saw this thread).  Can tell you why there is a 5 stroke differential  - the holes that were good were good, the holes that were bad were double bogie bad (not penalties, just poor shots coming into the greens on the bad holes.   

Edited by WillieT

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

I added my 10 most recent rounds. I noted the one round I played away from my regular course.

Compared to 10 handicap I have been losing close to 2 strokes per round putting over this time, so it is not surprising to see better putting days (with regards to number of putts) associated with the lower scores. I'm usually positive strokes gained for putting, so I don't know if my poor putting is related to course condition (unusually wet winter, greens have not been in good shape), or due to the fact that my approach play sucks (losing 1.5 strokes) resulting in more difficult short game shots (I am still positive in short game). I am curious to see if putting stats start to improve as the course condition gets back to normal.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator

@Darkfrog, you played 54 holes on May 7? 🙂

13 minutes ago, iacas said:

@Darkfrog, you played 54 holes on May 7? 🙂

I wish! All my dates are wrong, I was at Pasatiempo in early April. Version history shows the correct dates as of 3:09pm.

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I wish! All my dates are wrong, I was at Pasatiempo in early April. Version history shows the correct dates as of 3:09pm.

Okay.

If everyone who has added rounds to their spreadsheet could double-check the dates and their scores and stuff… I think I screwed them up.

I think only the dates column is goofed up.

• Thumbs Up 1

Mine look correct.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Mine is correct.

Ping G400 SFT 10deg  R flex
Ping G410 3w R flex
Ping G400 3h and 4h R flex
Taylormade SLDR 5i thru PW graphite shaft R flex
Cleveland CBX wedges - 50, 54, 58 or 52, 58 (depending on my mood)
Odyssey Versa or White Steel #5
Srixon Q Star

I entered my rounds from the last month or so.  My course is par 71--does that change things?

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4

• Administrator
1 minute ago, Missouri Swede said:

I entered my rounds from the last month or so.  My course is par 71--does that change things?

Only by one.

Just now, iacas said:

Only by one.

Yeah,  but I didn't know if I needed to adjust anything in entering my rounds, like add 1 to my score to make it equivalent to a par 72 course.

Craig
What's in the :ogio: Silencer bag (on the :clicgear: cart)
Driver: :callaway: Razr Fit 10.5°  
5 Wood: :tmade: Burner  
Hybrid: :cobra: Baffler DWS 20°
Irons: :ping: G400 
Wedge: :ping: Glide 2.0 54° ES grind 
Putter: :heavyputter:  midweight CX2
:aimpoint:,  :bushnell: Tour V4