IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note:Β This thread is 1395 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

I believe it's to illustrate just how much golfing can ruin one's image

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Quote:
Originally Posted by iQuest Golfer View Post
None

Hate the face? You can wear comfortable and it doesn't have to be expensive. It just has to be presentable... for the love of the game.

My observation is that those that dress down on the golf course generally don't fix the tees, tend to divots, repair ball marks... Is there a connection? I wouldn't like to think so, but...

I agree, I can only explain this by what I've seen. On a local course here in Texas where the rule was wear whatever, I personally saw a lack of respect for the game and the course. Divots not repaired. ball marks not fixed. and worse of all just dumping a lit cig on the tee box andΒ  greens. not to mention beer cans tossed in the general direction of the cart path.

But, on another Public Course (in the same city) where a dress code was required, no such sights. Β I'm no Dr. Phil, or master of social behavior,Β but there seems to be a plus for dress codes.

Originally Posted by BunkerShot

I agree, I can only explain this by what I've seen. On a local course here in Texas where the rule was wear whatever, I personally saw a lack of respect for the game and the course. Divots not repaired. ball marks not fixed. and worse of all just dumping a lit cig on the tee box andΒ  greens. not to mention beer cans tossed in the general direction of the cart path.

But, on another Public Course (in the same city) where a dress code was required, no such sights. Β I'm no Dr. Phil, or master of social behavior,Β but there seems to be a plus for dress codes.

My guess would be that green fees and maintenance budgets have a greater correlation.

Brandon

I have worn jeans on a course, but it was a little chilly out and they are warmer than the pants I usually wear.Β  They were nicer jeans if that makes it any better, and I also have only worn collared shirts.Β  I find them comfortable.

In my bag:
Driver - Diablo Octane 10.5*
Fairway Wood - Diablo Octane 15*
Hybrid -Β  Edge 21*
Irons - X20's 4I - 9I
Wedges -Β X20's PW/SW
Putter - White Ice 1
Ball - Warbird
Β 

Β 

I actually voted that it's good for the game but while reading all the replies I realise there's a big difference between the US and Sweden when it comes to dress codes. I've always wore shorts and a t-shirt to the course, and ocasionally a collared shirt, but i always wear shorts when I play. Inappropriate clothing for me would be tanktops and jeans, but shorts is fine as long as they're not too short which a lot of people here use on the course.

If I see someone with brightly coloured pants and a collared shirt, pretty much the same clothes as a pro, I just think they're not as good as they think they are. But I guess that's because it's different here and I'm full of preconceptions!

Driver: Ping i15, 3 Wood: Ping i15, Irons: Mizuno MP-53, Wedges: Mizuno MP T-11, Cleveland CG15, Putter: Ping iN Anser V2

Originally Posted by hemlock

I voted bad for the game. I'll explain.

First of all, I agree that a beater or torn ripped up stuff is unappropriate. BUT....... I think it's very unnecessary to force people to wear colored shirts and ban jeans at most courses. When I golf I wear jean shorts and a tshirt. And I see many people doing the same. Really...at does there need to be a ban on this kinda stuff for a course the is $13 for 9 holes?

I think if you're going to a course that requires a dress code you will know it. But really does it really harm you're game to see someone wearing jeans on the golf course? I personally hate the face that everyone thinks they have to wear colored shirts and plaid shorts/pants. Wear what's comfortable.

Hemlock,

You are completely right! I voted that it is good for the game - only because I think the good outweighsΒ the bad. In my Junior Summer Camps I do not require collar shirts - I only require that the boys tuck in their shirts (thats respectful to the girls in the camp, and the course), wear their hats properly (we areΒ not at a rap concert), and wear sleeves (mostly because of sun protection).

As for the adults playing the course... I could care less. Except if their lack of dress leads to misconduct on the course. Everyone in this form that works in the golf business has had to kick out a bunch of college boys in gym shorts and teeshirts for horseplay or distruction to the course. I hate to be stereotypical - but enforcing a dress code keeps out misfits a lot of the time. (yes I understand not all boys wearing gym shorts will misbehave - but you will never catch me dead in shorts while teaching, and I would never let my son or daughter practice or play in gym clothes or casual wear).

Golf is a gentlemen's game and should stay that way to some extent. Lax on trhe rules for kids and teens, and enforce only the very worst of them at public courses. To me, wearing a nice golf shirt and slacks shows a respect for the facility and the game.

i went to the range a couple of weeks ago and there were 3 young guys without shirts, in saggy basketball shorts hitting balls.

while on a course a group of guys in jean shorts and cutoff shirts riding around listening to country out of a little boombox.

i am a big fan of dress codes for golf courses.

Β G25 Driver (10.5* Stiff Flex)

Β G20 3 Wood (15* Stiff Flex)

Β i15 3 Hybrid (20* Stiff Flex)

Β i20 Hybrid (23* Stiff Flex)

Β JPX 800 (5-AW)

Β T11 54* (9* Bounce) and 58* (10* Bounce) w/DG Spinner Shafts

Β Tracy

My ball is anything on sale

Originally Posted by bplewis24

My guess would be that green fees and maintenance budgets have a greater correlation.

Brandon

Brandon, I'm hoping this is the case. I want people to enjoy the game no matter how they are dressed. Just respect the game and course

I think that most of the conversation (at least, the parts I read) is missing the point. There are two sets of categories that people fall into: 1) It's obvious that some people prefer to dress up/nice. It feels good to them, makes them feel better about themselves, or something of that sort. 2) It's obvious that some people do not care for dressing up. It feels uncomfortable, too conformist, or something of that sort. A) It's obvious that some people prefer that those around them dress up. B) It's obvious that some people don't care how those around them dress. People in the category 1 and category A generally like dress codes, those in 2 and B generally don't. Different people have different strengths of their preferences. Given that different people care for different environments, they will then pursue them. People who enjoy dressing up and being around those who do will tend to find each other and associate. Obviously, they will make rules that you have to dress up to associate. There's nothing wrong with that, it makes perfect sense and people do it for all kinds of different clubs. People who don't care for that requirement won't pursue clubs for it, but at some point they may want/need to end up in such clubs for other reasons, and then will generally be annoyed by the restrictions. Unfortunately for them, that's tough, because you have to take the club goods with the club rules. As for which clubs are dress-up and which aren't (or are less so), the market tends to dictate that. Most public courses catering to the middle class just require collared shirts and no jeans or cut-offs. Those are somewhat bland standards. Some courses go much above, some go much below, as the demand dictates. But on both ends of the spectrum they know they're standards will cater to a certain set of clients, and one end tends to bring more money. Also, in general, money tends to follow exclusivity. People who want to form "dress up" clubs will have to sponsor it. They will likely charge more money and in turn keep their club properties in nicer condition, since we've already established that they like their environment to look nice. People will pay more for a semi-exclusive or "nice" club than for a restriction-free or "not nice" club. Money will tend to flow toward one end of that spectrum. (Never mind that those with more money tend to favor one one side of the spectrum to begin with.) The key to whether dress codes are "good" is entirely dependent on the market demand. If they're providing what is desired, then it's "good". The atmosphere of the past regarding the game is just that, the past atmosphere. It isn't a part of the actual game itself. Although the people who prefer to reference that past are welcome to make that association, it isn't a hard rule. People who don't care for dress looks need to get over the fact that some do and need to not belittle them for having an arbitrary personal preference. Those who do care need to acknowledge that it isn't a higher calling and get over the fact that some people don't care. Just find like-minded people and play there. You get to choose the people and accept the course that comes with it, or the course and the people that come with it. Hopefully, both will be to your liking, but you're not guaranteed of that. That's how the free market works.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Quote:

2) It's obvious that some people do not care for dressing up. It feels uncomfortable, too conformist, or something of that sort.

If you want to be comfortable on the golf course, wear proper golf clothes.

If you want to be uncomfortable, wear jeans.

And the non conformists out there are often exercising a form of reverse snobbery which means they are conforming even more than those who prefer to wear golf clothes to golf to make their sorry point.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Β 

Β 

Originally Posted by B-Con

I think that most of the conversation (at least, the parts I read) is missing the point.

There are two sets of categories that people fall into:

1) It's obvious that some people prefer to dress up/nice. It feels good to them, makes them feel better about themselves, or something of that sort.

2) It's obvious that some people do not care for dressing up. It feels uncomfortable, too conformist, or something of that sort.

A) It's obvious that some people prefer that those around them dress up.

B) It's obvious that some people don't care how those around them dress.

People in the category 1 and category A generally like dress codes, those in 2 and B generally don't. Different people have different strengths of their preferences.

Given that different people care for different environments, they will then pursue them. People who enjoy dressing up and being around those who do will tend to find each other and associate. Obviously, they will make rules that you have to dress up to associate. There's nothing wrong with that, it makes perfect sense and people do it for all kinds of different clubs. People who don't care for that requirement won't pursue clubs for it, but at some point they may want/need to end up in such clubs for other reasons, and then will generally be annoyed by the restrictions. Unfortunately for them, that's tough, because you have to take the club goods with the club rules.

As for which clubs are dress-up and which aren't (or are less so), the market tends to dictate that. Most public courses catering to the middle class just require collared shirts and no jeans or cut-offs. Those are somewhat bland standards. Some courses go much above, some go much below, as the demand dictates. But on both ends of the spectrum they know they're standards will cater to a certain set of clients, and one end tends to bring more money.

Also, in general, money tends to follow exclusivity. People who want to form "dress up" clubs will have to sponsor it. They will likely charge more money and in turn keep their club properties in nicer condition, since we've already established that they like their environment to look nice. People will pay more for a semi-exclusive or "nice" club than for a restriction-free or "not nice" club. Money will tend to flow toward one end of that spectrum. (Never mind that those with more money tend to favor one one side of the spectrum to begin with.)

The key to whether dress codes are "good" is entirely dependent on the market demand. If they're providing what is desired, then it's "good". The atmosphere of the past regarding the game is just that, the past atmosphere. It isn't a part of the actual game itself. Although the people who prefer to reference that past are welcome to make that association, it isn't a hard rule.

People who don't care for dress looks need to get over the fact that some do and need to not belittle them for having an arbitrary personal preference. Those who do care need to acknowledge that it isn't a higher calling and get over the fact that some people don't care.

Just find like-minded people and play there. You get to choose the people and accept the course that comes with it, or the course and the people that come with it. Hopefully, both will be to your liking, but you're not guaranteed of that. That's how the free market works.

Interesting point of view.....Do you equate wearing a golf shirt as "dressing up" ? Β  Really?

I look at it from the perspective of a serious golfer/lowHC who's been playing 20+years.Β Β  I avoid the cheap 'tier-1' golf courses because the courses sukkkk. Β  I don't see golfers going shirtless or wearing "wife beater" shirts because they don't play where I play.

Everyone needs to start somewhere.Β  When I was a golfing NOOB, I wore t-shirts and gym shorts too.Β Β  It's a process.......I disagree that dressing properly= dressing uncomfortably.Β Β  IMO......wearing a cotton t-shirt is less comfortable than a nice dry-tek golf shirt.Β  While your shirt weighs 3 lbs in sweat on a hot day.....my shirt is light and dry

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big BerthaΒ Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
-Β CallawayΒ Big BerthaΒ 4-5 Rescue Clubs
--Β Mizuno Mx-25 sixΒ iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

IMO,Β golf dress codes exist because it's the dynamics of apprearance and its impact onΒ perceived individual/market value.Β  The golfers on a golf course become part of the landscape.Β  Hence, their attire can influence the perceived market value of a givenΒ course.Β Β Society as a whole has a tendency--rightfully or not, to judge thingsΒ based onΒ appearance.Β  Unfortunately, this is nothing new.Β  Years ago, when one of my buds lived in NY, right before nightclubs would open, they would send someone out into the line waiting to get in.Β  This personΒ would select patrons that wereΒ good-looking/well-dressed and bring them into the club.Β  Everybody else continued to wait.Β  Shallow?Β  You betcha.Β  But, it does happen and the silly thing about this practice was that it only made more people want to go to those clubs.Β  Crazy.

With that, I dress well for me and I don't care what other's wear.Β  The default golf attire of one of my buds that I play with all the time is a sleeveless T-shirt and plaid cargo shorts with the hem hitting him about mid-calf.Β  We have a great time playing together.Β  The only time I've ever had him change was when he tried to wear that same outfit to a private country club a different friend got us onto.Β  The only reason I had him change was because I would feel bad for him if the course denied him access and he was relegated to waiting in the carΒ for meΒ while I played.

Lastly, as noted in other posts, it costs pretty much the same to buy clothing that will pass a majority of dress clothes than it does for clothing that may be questionable.Β  So, I chose the former.

:titleist:Β :scotty_cameron:
915D3 / 712 AP2 / SC Mont 1.5

AΒ good amount of business is conducted on the golf course which I'm sure feeds into the dress code policy of courses and their target customers.Β Β A private club that caters towardsΒ professionalsΒ likely isn't interested in attractingΒ guys in jean shorts and wife beaters asΒ it's not as conducive to doing business.

On the other hand,Β aΒ public course that is desperate for feesΒ should modifyΒ the dress code to attract the greatest number of people, which would vary depending on the location and demographics of the course.Β  The key forΒ allΒ muni couses is to find the happy medium so that the dress code fits the casual golfer but isn't so liberal that it causes the more serious golfers to look elsewhere.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

People keep harping on jeans.....IMO...that's not really the issue.Β  I've belonged to 2 different private courses and jeans were OK.Β Β  so long as they weren't ratty..........

T-shirts and tanks were definitely a no-go.......

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big BerthaΒ Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
-Β CallawayΒ Big BerthaΒ 4-5 Rescue Clubs
--Β Mizuno Mx-25 sixΒ iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Originally Posted by Tomboys

IMO,Β golf dress codes exist because it's the dynamics of apprearance and its impact onΒ perceived individual/market value.Β  The golfers on a golf course become part of the landscape.Β  Hence, their attire can influence the perceived market value of a givenΒ course.

I would agree with this, and this is one of the best arguments for a dress code IMO.

Brandon

Interesting point of view.....Do you equate wearing a golf shirt as "dressing up" ? Β  Really?

Huh, where did I say that? Elsewhere I said: [quote=B-Con][...]require collared shirts and no jeans or cut-offs. Those are somewhat bland standards.[/quote] So... not sure where you got that. The "dress up" guidelines tend to be the "must wear slacks" types. I mentioned both ends of the dress code spectrum in my post, not just the stereotypical one.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

• 2 weeks later...

I have moved away from the area where I grew up and find myself playing more daily greens fees and municipal courses.Β  I must say, the golf options are still quite nice, and I enjoy my rounds.

However, one thing that irks me is all of the people wearing cargo shorts t-shirts on these publicly available golf courses.Β  It's kind of like going to church and seeing some jagoff wearing a dirty ballcap and a Stephon Marbury jerseyΒ during the sermon.

I don't think everybody should try to dress like a pga tour pro with that new super sleek gear they wear (in fact, I think people emulating Sergio are kind of light in the loafers).Β  However, one should still show some respect to the game and wear appropriate attire.

What's in the bag
Driver: FTI
3W: 15 Degree
2H: X
4I-7I: X-188I, 9I, PW: X-Forged52 Deg: Vokey Oil Can, all rusted out56 Deg: Vokey, Chrome 60 Deg: Black PearlPutter: Catalina Two

Note:Β This thread is 1395 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!