IGNORED

Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game?

NM Golf
Note: This thread is 1378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Dress Codes  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Dress Codes: Good or Bad for the Game

• Good for the game
    • Bad for the game

Yes, but they would have been referring to khaki ones. ;-) Give me a 6 hour round and greens like a quarry over the sight of an ill-fitting pair of cargoes any day. I have had many beautiful days on the golf course completely ruined because I saw a carelessly attired golfer kitting up just as I was driving out. I also once saw someone putting his shoes on in the car park!!! Imagine it!!!!

Never understood that one anyway. Unless its a private club where you have a locker, where the heck else are you supposed to change shoes?? On the first tee?

Another dress code story to share. Ducked out to play 9 at lunch today, do it pretty but every day. Anyway I get to #7 and there's two balls on the apron about 15 ft apart. I went out after the mens club and the markers for longest drive etc. were everywhere so I figured the balls had some reason to be there. I was about to hit what was my only legit birdie putt of the day when I see two guys coming towards me in a cart. They hop out wearing jeans and t-shirts at a place that ignores the code. The douche nozzles actually drove from #7 to the clubhouse to buy freakin' beer. I stand by my theory that disregard for one thing likely means disregard for everything else. If you're coming out to play dressed like Kid Rock you probably don't give a shit about anything.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by walk18

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shorty

Yes, but they would have been referring to khaki ones.

Give me a 6 hour round and greens like a quarry over the sight of an ill-fitting pair of cargoes any day.

I have had many beautiful days on the golf course completely ruined because I saw a carelessly attired golfer kitting up just as I was driving out.

I also once saw someone putting his shoes on in the car park!!! Imagine it!!!!

Never understood that one anyway. Unless its a private club where you have a locker, where the heck else are you supposed to change shoes?? On the first tee?

We have no locker room and jeans are allowed. I'm surprised the RCGA hasn't come with bulldozers to level the place!!

• Like 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by Dave2512

I stand by my theory that disregard for one thing likely means disregard for everything else. If you're coming out to play dressed like Kid Rock you probably don't give a shit about anything.

Oh I beg to differ. I like to play in my most comfortable camoflage cargo shorts and if it's real hot, a sleeveless tshirt! But sir, you will never ever see me being the cause of slow play, throwing my cigarette butts on the course or walking away from a pitchmark without repairing it. I feel like I show excellent course etiquette always. But since I'm not an elitist, not a tournament golfer nor a member of any club, I just want to enjoy my round and be comfortable doing it. Now with that being said, 99% of the time I do at least wear a collared shirt. I believe that respect for the "game" is shown by your actions on the course and have no relation whatsoever to what your wearing.

And oh yeah.... I also show up in the parking lot and hop out of my big redneck pickup truck barefooted. I'll put my shoes on before I go to the clubhouse.

• 5 years later...

After receiving my third email from Pinehurst Resort this morning gently reminding me that I should not wear jeans anywhere on the resort's property and shorts are only allowed on the golf course, I thought I would revive this little discussion I started many years ago. 

I personally have no issue with Pinehurst telling me how to dress, as that is how I normally dress, not to mention the fact I don't have to go at all if the dress code bothers me. But one of the guys going with me is a little bitter.

Back to the topic at hand, my views have not changed, but have instead relaxed a bit. I still dress how I feel is appropriate, but I tend to not care as much about others. Perhaps I have mellowed in the 9 years since I started this thread. Your thoughts?

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

15 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I still dress how I feel is appropriate, but I tend to not care as much about others. Perhaps I have mellowed in the 9 years since I started this thread. Your thoughts?

I'm not really sure why, but having dress codes for golf courses (both for professionals (see the thread elsewhere about the recent LPGA dress code) and amateurs) annoys me hugely.  I fail to see why people shouldn't be free to dress as they please - it is, after all, their score that will be negatively impacted if they choose to wear something that inhibits their swing. 

It does not bother me at all if I see others wearing jeans, tee shirts, no socks, no belt etc. on the golf course.  I'm just happy to see people out enjoying themselves and enjoying the game.  What someone else wears impacts me far less than them talking on their mobile phone, failing to repair divots, rake bunkers etc. (and, contrary to some of the comments above, I fail to see any correlation between players in non-traditional dress and poor etiquette).

I was recently knocked back from using a driving range in Dubai because I wore my v-neck jumper with a white tee shirt underneath, as opposed to a collared shirt.  Even for the driving range they had a steadfast "collar" rule, regardless of the fact I looked (even if I say so myself) relatively smart overall.  Needless to say, I haven't been back since and likely won't, as there are plenty of alternative ranges.  I have worn the exact same combination on the Old Course, and nobody batted an eyelid because people were, rightly, concentrating on enjoying themselves...

• Thumbs Up 1

As a new player, I had no idea really what to expect at the range.  Here in TX, the range I go to most often is pretty secluded, it's a 9 hole executive course.  Most people there wear shorts of some kind and anywhere from polo shirts to sleeveless dri-fit shirts.  I usually wear khaki non cargo shorts, and a tshirt if I'm just on the range after work, or a collared shirt if I'm going to play a round.  I actually just ordered 5 collared "golf" shirts because I wanted to at least look the part (tucking it in will be a different story since it'll come untucked my first few swings).  

What's the opinion on tucked in shirts?  If I start out tucked but it comes out, do I need to keep tucking it in as I go?  Or just not worry about it and let it go.

Personal taste with a respect FOR the game is what might be missing. I have always felt that proper attire should be required for golfers. Does not need to be expensive, but tasteful. A simple golf shirt, and business casual slacks, or shorts are fine. Even dress styled jeans are OK, pressed and neat. 

Not sure I like untucked shirts, but that may be more comfort over style anyway. 

The way I do it is I wear clothing that is "good enough for who it's for!" There's a local 9 holer I've played for 50 years. You can wear cargo shorts, cut-offs, gym shorts with a t-shirt, wife beater, or no shirt at all!

On the other hand I have played some local country clubs, and know what attire is expected. So, I wear my "nicer" stuff.

It's their course, their rules. And I don't mind looking good!

I wear jeans when I play. I love and respect the game, and my golf etiquette is impeccable. I have seen many other golfers wearing "proper" clothing commit a multitude of sins on the course, and I have seen many golfers dressed "poorly" who had excellent golf etiquette.

When the game of golf is dying off, to the point that the USGA and R&A feel the need to simplify the rules in order to attract young players, I'm amazed that the vast majority of golfers responding to this topic are still in favor of dress codes. How many more courses need to go out of business before people stop worrying about such insignificant things? And what sort of golfer allows his enjoyment of the game to be affected by what someone else is wearing?

By the way, I carry a book of golf rules in my bag, and it makes no mention of "proper attire."

• Administrator
1 hour ago, Dave Saari said:

I wear jeans when I play.

Why? There is almost no other fabric less suitable to an athletic endeavor than denim. It doesn't warm as well as others. It's not flexible/stretchy. It doesn't dry quickly, and actively absorbs water. It's heavy and thick (what little warmth it provides comes from that).

When the game of golf is dying off, to the point that the USGA and R&A feel the need to simplify the rules in order to attract young players,

That's not "why" they're doing it.

When the game of golf is dying off, to the point that the USGA and R&A feel the need to simplify the rules in order to attract young players, I'm amazed that the vast majority of golfers responding to this topic are still in favor of dress codes. How many more courses need to go out of business before people stop worrying about such insignificant things?

It's insignificant to you. To me, it's not.

And to some courses, having the dress code is important to their business. Tons of studies show that how people dress affect how they behave. Dress better, behave better. And beyond that, if the customer wants to play at a course with a certain standard of dress, and they show up and are dismayed to find people playing in jeans and tank tops, they'll leave and not want to go back. If the number of lost customers is greater than the number of customers who think "Great! I can play in my Megadeth t-shirt and cut-off jean shorts!," then it makes business sense to have and enforce a dress code.

Hell, we have a dress code at our indoor teaching facility.

And what sort of golfer allows his enjoyment of the game to be affected by what someone else is wearing?

You'd have to ask them.

By the way, I carry a book of golf rules in my bag, and it makes no mention of "proper attire."

It also doesn't mention not taking 15 minutes at the turn, not stealing range balls, fixing your ball mark and two others, etc. It's not a Rule of Golf, it's a social rule, or a dress code rule.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

6 hours ago, iacas said:

Tons of studies show that how people dress affect how they behave. Dress better, behave better.

Do you have these studies to hand?  I am genuinely intrigued, as I have never seen such a correlation; some of the most unpleasant characters I have ever had the misfortune of being paired up with have been the best dressed, and vice versa.

I'm also curious as to why a dress code is so significant to you?  Whilst I personally adhere to them 99.9% of the time, I find it bizarre that any adult would care what another was wearing (off the top of my head, the only thing that could be worn on a golf course that I would genuinely object to would be a racist slogan, or something of that ilk). 

I’d rather see a more flexible attitude but some standards. It’s already an expensive sport to get into, and clothing adds a bunch to the threshold. I recently started playing and the costs are piling up as my much as my normal sports wear isn’t allowed in my club. As a woman I find some of the requirements a bit too much - length of skirt max 3 inches above the knees, no leggings, collars required. It is a bit like catholic school. Adding to that many golf shops in Europe/UK don’t carry women’s golf clothes, so it’s really tricky to get kitted out in regulation wear. Simple things like requiring golf shoes, no tank tops and no frayed jeans should be enough to keep away those that aren’t taking the game seriously.

Dress code is good but it has to be consistent accross the board. There has to be a middle ground that all clubs can achieve and its not really that hard. I know many people who say its too expensive but thats just a cop out. You dont have to get golf specific, hight tech fabric clothing. Im a good example

Trousers: £8 from Asda

Shirt: £5 from Sports Direct

Socks £3.99 for a 7 pack at Primark

So £16.99 for a full "outfit" excluding shoes (go for the best in your budget). I've seen guys play in flip flops and thats just stupid and dangerous.

Waterproofs? Again sports direct, they're not goretex but do the job.

The clubhouse attire needs to be looked at too. As far as im concenred, smart jeans, shoes and polo are fine. There is a course near me (that shall remain nameless) will not allow non members in the main part of the clubhouse and members MUST wear the club tie and blazer. Not suprisingly member subscriptions are down.

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

Note: This thread is 1378 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!