IGNORED

Overlap vs Interlock vs Baseball Grips

Note: This thread is 4036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

After a 12 year layoff I started playign again about a month ago. I have been using the grip my father taught me years ago. Interlocking my right pinky and left index finger. It seems to work well for me but I was watching some instructional stuff online and they were using a differnet grip.

Is there a better grip than the one I am using or does it just come down to personal preference?
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 2009 FW: Adams Tight Lies 3w Irons: Bridgestone Precept Tour Premium EC603 3-PW Wedges: Cleveland DW/SW Adams LW Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman

• Replies 179
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

As long as your grip is fairly neutral, it's all pretty much personal preference.

The 10 finger grip (aka baseball grip, where the fingers are not interlocking or overlapping) can lead to a more "handsy" swing though.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Thanks

Gripping the club with the 10 finger grip you described seems un-natural to me, although I have seen a few people use it over the past couple of weeks.
Driver: Cleveland Launcher 2009 FW: Adams Tight Lies 3w Irons: Bridgestone Precept Tour Premium EC603 3-PW Wedges: Cleveland DW/SW Adams LW Putter: Odyssey White Hot XG Marxman

Whatever grip works for you is best. There is no, "right" or, "wrong" grip. I used the interlock for years but lately Ive started to develop a hook, which has forced me to use a weak grip, and Ive had to switch to a 10-finger grip in order to get my grip weak enough to not close the clubface.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

It normally is based on personal preference. I tried using the grip with your pinky finger (L) over index finger (R) like many golfers do; and I didn't do well with it: It felt uncomfortable. But, I just use a regular grip. Maybe I'll post it.

It normally is based on personal preference. I tried using the grip with your pinky finger (L) over index finger (R) like many golfers do; and I didn't do well with it: It felt uncomfortable. But, I just use a regular grip. Maybe I'll post it.

It may be "regular" to you, but really, that does nothing to tell us what it is. :)

It definitely is up to personal preference. I started out with the baseball grip before learning its significance, and transitioned quickly to an interlock grip. I didn't even attempt overlapping as it just didn't have the same feel to me.

What's in my Tartan Precise TS-869 Bag:
Woods: Northwestern 1W, 3W, stock grip
Hybrids: 855 Graphite shaft 3H, 4H, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Irons: 855 R flex steel shaft 5-PW, Golf Pride Tour Wrap midsize grips
Wedges: PureSpin Tour Series Diamond Face 52* AW, 56* SW, 60* LW, Golf Pride...

I like the Vardon grip myself.

I addition to the ones in this picture is the reverse overlap (think vardon with the pinky and index finger reversed)
Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

• 2 weeks later...
I started taking lessons about a month ago and found the interlock grip at that time was most comfortable. Since then I've been hitting the ball fairly consistently with my irons, but not as much with my woods.

Yesterday, for whatever reason I kept slicing at the range, and out of frustration tried the overlap grip. I found that it was not only more comfortable, but I hit the ball straighter, and about 15 yards longer (made my hands feel much looser).

Is one grip better than the other? Should I go back to the interlock since that is what I used for my lessons or stick with the overlap?

Joe Paradiso

No grip is better than the other, no. Especially between the interlock and overlap. You got the ten finger grip and some other grips, like Furyk's double overlap they are not too common. I'm sure 99.999% of the golfers in the world use one of the two, interlock or overlap.

The grip is individual, you just have to find what works best for you. Tiger and Nicklaus uses an interlock grip, Hogan and Palmer overlap grip. There is no rule, just what you find more comfortable and hit it best with.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Is one grip better than the other?

The best grip is one that allows you to correctly return the clubhead to the ball. I use overlap, but have occasionally used the 10-finger grip for short irons.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I use a reverse interlock for my putting stroke, because it takes away "twitch" moves with my hands that pull putts offline.

For all other shots I use the overlap, because it allows for more hand action through the ball (good for me on full shots, bad for putts).

But that's just me. Like Zeph said, 90+ % of golfers use one or the other. Just go with what works.

In your case, the changeover might have strengthened your grip, and in doing so lessened your slice.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Double Interlock, weakest
Interlock, Weaker
Overlap, Neutral
10 Finger Grip, Stronger
10 Finger underhand grip, Snap hook gaurenteed ;b

Double interlock is easiest to hit a fade with, while the 10 finger will cause more of a draw. This is because from one range to the other you are adding or taking away the significance of your right hand and the ability of the right hand to turn over.

But i would go with what is most comfortable and fit your swing around it. Nothing worse than holding a club in an uncomfortable position.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Nice summary - I switch to 10-finger when I'm tired and starting to hit blocks or hosel rockets.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm going to try this as well. Personally, I started with the baseball grip then switched to the interlocking and then to the vardon. I went back to the interlocking because the vardon slipped on me every now and then so I developed a death grip on the club and horrendous hooks. The interlocking feels right for me so I'll use it.

14 at any time: Nike Sumo Sq 10.5 degree, Srixon 12 degree 3 wood, Nike 17 degree 4 wood, Adams 3 hybrid, X-18 irons 3-pw, Callaway 52 degree, Vokey 56 & 60, Taylormade Rossa putter

Started with Baseball slowly slowly worked my way into overlap. You get much better control/power with it I think.

Edit:

That and my first/only golf teacher would just always always yell about my grip. I guess it finally caught on.
 Driver:callaway.gifBig Bertha 460cc 10* Hybrids: adams.gif A7 3-4H  Irons: adams.gif A7 5i-PW
Wedges: cleveland.gifCG 12 50*, CG 14 56*, CG12 60* Putt Putt:odyssey.gif White ICE Tour Bronze 1 Putter

I play a baseball grip due to a rotator cuff injury in high school. I have found that the baseball grip takes some stress off my shoulder and places it more in the forearms. It has helped to eliminate misses to the right but it does cause some pull tendencies if my timing is off. I actually try to keep as little pressure as I can even with this grip that way I don't have a death grip on the club.

What's in my bag:
Driver: taylormade.gifBurner 09 Stiff 9.5*
Fairway Woods: adams.gifRPM Low Profile 3 & 5
Irons: mizuno.gifMP 57 - 3-PW Project X 5.5
Wedges: wilson.gifREG. 588 54* &cleveland.gif 60*Putter: ping.gifAnserBall: titleist.gifProV1x Home Course: Forest Ridge Golf Club

Note: This thread is 4036 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!