IGNORED

What Would a Top Tour Pro Shoot on a Typical Public Course?

plugged
Note: This thread is 901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What's the over/under on the pro being offered swing tips from one of the Ledbetter wannabes that always seem to hang out on the range of the local muni?

Oh my goodness... while it's certainly the case that someone like Stan Utley, Jim Furyk, or Jeev Milka Singh would do quite well at one of these courses, it takes one practice swing for someone to tell them that they'll never break 80 with that motion.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I watched Todd Hamilton play a local private course shortly after his Open win. This course was very similar to most muni's in terms of difficulty, and maybe a little bit better condition. It seemed like he hit every fairway and only missed a couple greens, but didn't make many putts at all. I'm sure if a pro got used to the course, most of them could shoot low 60's on muni's. First time around, I think most of them would shoot around 2-3 under, assuming a course rating around 70-71.

What's in my Sun Mountain C-130 bag:

Driver - Taylormade Superfast 2.0 TP 10.5
3 Wood - Taylormade Burner 15* REAX
Hybrid - Adams Idea Pro 18* GD YSQ-HL

Irons - Callaway X-18 4-PW

GW - Cleveland 588 51*

SW - Cleveland CG 12 56*

LW - Cleveland CG15 60*

Putter - Cameron Studio Style Newport 2

Bushnell Medalist rangefinder

My friend caddied for Jerry Kelly at a course close by, and he set the coarse record shooting a 62. Even when shooting this, my friend said he made some ridiculous shots.

x86 Bag
909D2 9.5*
Rescue Mid Hybrid 4
AP2 Irons 3-PW
TP 54* Vokey: SM 60* Circa 62 #1 Pro V1x Balls

I have two experiences:

Kenny Perry plays a course I play frequently in Paducah,KY (6800+/71.3/127) and he usually shoots mid 60's consistently. I think his best round is 63, two of the course record.

Steve Flesch, Lee Trevino, and Fuzzy Zoeller all played Jeffersonville Elks CC ( 6911/73.1/130) just outside Louisville, KY where I sometimes play. None of them have shot under 64. I think they shoot 65-68 pretty consistently, though.

In My University of Kentucky Bag:

R9 460
R9 T3
TP Rescue 17, 21 degree R7 TP 3-PW W/ Project X 6.0 Rac Z TP Wedges 50, 54, 58 Rife Two Bar Hybrid Mallet TP Black Pro V1

Low enough to make you feel like crap when you think you did well shooting 79.
THE WEAPONS CACHE..

Titleist 909 D2 9.5 Degree Driver| Titleist 906f4 13.5 degree 3-Wood | Titleist 909 17 & 21 degree hybrid | Titleist AP2 irons
Titleist Vokey Wedges - 52 & 58 | Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2 Putter | ProV1 Ball

I might have to amend my previous opinion downward. Depends on the definition of typical. The public courses I play in the Miami area are decent length and obviously at sea level. But the past few weeks I've been traveling and miraculously gained quite a bit of distance. Altitude makes all the difference and it doesn't have to be Denver. I've played in West Virginia, North Carolina and New York, often hitting half wedges into par 4s and less than a 3 wood into par 5s. No kidding, on those type public courses a mid level pro would feast. Even for my level there have been tons of birdie opportunities. Too bad I don't read the greens as well when it's non-Bermuda.

Low enough to make you feel like crap when you think you did well shooting 79.

LOL

In my bag:
Driver: R5 TP Diamana 83s Shaft
Fairway: Burner 15 degree Fujikura REAX
Hybrid: Custom 19 degree
Irons: DCI 990 S300 4-PW

Wedges: NF 52.04*, Spin Milled 56.10* and 60.08*

Putter: Red X3

Ball: ProV1

Shoe: Tour 360 LTD

I was up north at Treetops Resort earlier in the year, and they have some framed scorecards posted on the wall. Now this is not the typical public course, or muni. It is more like what the pros are used to playing. But interesting info nonetheless. One card had Lee Janzen firing a 63, with Rick Smith shooting 67 or 68. (guess he can play a bit too, not just teach) There was another from Janzen shooting a 64. One with Mickelson carding 63 or 64, with another 68 from Rick Smith. These guys obviously, were playing from the tips. I had just played the Smith course that at least one of these cards had come from, and I played the Blue tees. I think I shot 75 or 76, and was extremely happy with it. But of course I was brought back down to earth, after I saw those scores.

I think, to sum this up, if a typical touring pro is a +4 to +5 cap, and the course is rated a 73, then you could expect them to shoot a 68 on a typical good day. Of course, they could certainly fire off a 63 or something like that - but just as easily shoot 73.
What's In My Stand Bag...
Driver: R9 TP 9.5*
3W: R9 15*
Hybrid: Rescue Dual TP 2H 16*
Irons 3-P: MP-62Wedges: Vokey 52* & 58*Putter: 34" Newport StudioBall: Pro V1x

I think, to sum this up, if a typical touring pro is a +4 to +5 cap, and the course is rated a 73, then you could expect them to shoot a 68 on a typical good day. Of course, they could certainly fire off a 63 or something like that - but just as easily shoot 73.

I think if it is a typical public course, setup in a typical manner the chance of them shooting a 73 would be very slim. With wide fairways and more readily available pins, they would be able to fire at them all day. I would say the likelyhood of a 63 would be much greater then the likelyhood of a 73.

Craig 

Yeah, wanna make 14 dollars the hard way?

I played with a few guys out there that I would consider to be top pros. I agree that 73 is not likely but if you are having a bad day anything is possible. A 63 or 62 implies that they are putting well that day too so I would say throw that out. I think that so much depends on the type of player (steady golfer or pin shooter) and how they are playing that day.

In sum, I would say that 66 or 67 is going to be what you see as a good day for them but don't be surprised to see a stroke or two over par if they are off.

T.M. O'Connell

What's in My Bag
Driver - 909 D2 9.5 degree
3 Wood - 909 F2 15.5 degreeHybrid - 909 H 19 degreeIrons - AP2 w/ Rifle 6.5Wedges - BN 60.04 & 54.11Putter - Pro Platinum Plus

• 11 years later...

I know this is an old thread that recently got bumped (glad to see I didn't say anything dumb a decade+ ago), but in 2007, Steve Marino played a DC-area goat track: https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/01/AR2007070101221.html?referrer=emailarticle

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

1 hour ago, jamo said:

I know this is an old thread that recently got bumped (glad to see I didn't say anything dumb a decade+ ago), but in 2007, Steve Marino played a DC-area goat track: https://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2007/07/01/AR2007070101221.html?referrer=emailarticle

Yeah, this thread brought back some memories.  Good to see, at least in this thread, I didn't say anything bad over a decade ago.  

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

The only defense Sugar Hill Golf Club would have against these guys would be that if the ball goes into the woods, it stays in the woods.

They could hunt for three hours and not find balls that literally hit the fairway and caromed into the woods.  The briars are thick and plentiful, and many of the wooded areas run steeply downhill.  The ninth fairway is a great example of this; if you hit it in the middle of the fairway, it is all but certain to run downhill into a ravine that is probably home to over a million dollars worth of golf balls.  It is a literal black hole for golf balls.  Of course, they would probably just take it over the trees in the dogleg and have about 120 yards in, so there's that.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

14 hours ago, jamo said:

I played that course in college back in 1980. It was a goat track then. The only cool things were seeing the monuments in the distance and a very cool statue called The Awakening that you could see on the east end. It looked like a giant coming up out of the ground. The course was in terrible shape too. It needs a lot of love to get it back.

6EB321E7-1347-4F13-9620-DF3FED071E02.jpeg

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

"Do they have spectators to find the balls they hit into the woods?"  This is a big one, in my opinion.  While watching the recent Open, I often wondered how long it would take me or you to find a ball hit into that really long, thick stuff, while pros have spotters and spectators to help out.

Course conditioning is a big one too.  A while back the city allowed our Donald Ross muni to dry out for a while.  When I say that a six inch putt could break six inches, I'm not kidding.

• Like 1

Note: This thread is 901 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!