IGNORED

Why Aren’t More People Copying Moe Norman's Swing?

Msokol13
Note: This thread is 882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hm7E-REEhXI[/video] my first time at driving range with moe norman inspired golf swing #youtube

Journey of My Moe Norman's Inspired Golf Swing. Yes I know, it is going to be ROUGH journey.

Driver : MacGregor Mactec NVG.............(2005 model, cheapest forgiving driver that I can bought)

3 Wood : Ena Golf...................................(?year? cheap one but I like the impact)

7 Wood : XXIO.........................................(2005 model, from my dad)

5 Rescue : Tourstage ViQ........................(2008 model)

Irons : XXIO MP200.................................(2003 model, from my dad)

Wedge : Cleveland Becu 56 deg.............(cheapest old wedge that I can bought)

My self taught Swing Theard : My Swing (efdeel74)

I starting to play again after a long break late last summer. I looked at a lot of things to cure my "big slice" and/or push to the right, initially going with the Moe Norman Single Plane Swing. More recently I've started reading up on Stack & Tilt and the 5 Simple Keys (which seems to have a lot of fans here) and makes a lot of sense to me. What I am looking for at this point is to get as much distance as possible with enough control to consistently stay in the fairway. As Eric (@iacas) has said, and i have observed, there seems to be a lot of common elements in all three of these approaches to the golf swing. Since I started working on the Moe Norman Single Plane Swing to solve my problems I seem to be seeing some improvement. Also I don't have a problem looking a little different from other golfers so I plan to continue down this path for now. One other observation is that there appears to be a lot of heavy-duty "marketing" going on relative to the SPS , which almost turned me off. As long as I keep seeing improvement, this path seems like the right one for me. With that said, I'll also keep reading here at TST to see what else can help me improve my game. Thanks to all for your continued input and insights.

yesterday, in golf shop with forward sight equipment (like trackman), i found my eureka moment when i try NS PRO 850 flex R....i hit sweet spot every swung...it stright in foresight monitor....it's feel really great.... i look no further for iron set #of course it with moe norman inspired golf swing #i still find for driver

Journey of My Moe Norman's Inspired Golf Swing. Yes I know, it is going to be ROUGH journey.

Driver : MacGregor Mactec NVG.............(2005 model, cheapest forgiving driver that I can bought)

3 Wood : Ena Golf...................................(?year? cheap one but I like the impact)

Wedge : Cleveland Becu 56 deg.............(cheapest old wedge that I can bought)

cek this out....i hope he will playing at pga tour shortly [URL]http://instagram.com/p/zGCjSbhSxE/[/URL] his swing like moe norman, currently he play at 4 handicap

cek this out....i hope he will playing at pga tour shortly

http://instagram.com/p/zGCjSbhSxE/

his swing like moe norman, currently he play at 4 handicap

A 4 handicap at the age he looks to be is not going to get to the PGA tour.  Shortly or otherwhen.

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

↵ Use original player

Young Moe Norman

By LeftofMoe

YouTube

360p

← Replay

X

i

some call it...sick swing, yes i think it crazy swing

note: low quality video resulution

I found this video comparison of young Moe vs. old Moe more helpful.

• 2 weeks later...
my first embed video above (young moe norman) is more for motivation,..for learning, following video is more helpful...at least for me :) especially vertical drop part! i think that's the key [video]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=r5LEelOEbQg[/video]

vertical drop followed by whipping action....that's make shot more consistent and longer (than pure/simple single plane swing).

• 3 weeks later...
after a while....i think...and i tried... his foot work is the key to hit the ball solid and consistently

I found this video comparison of young Moe vs. old Moe more helpful.

Brilliant clip. I started changing to Single Axis swing at the start of the year by learning the Kirk Junge SA swing based on the younger Moe and its nice to see him swinging as a younger player as a reference to how my own swing is progressing

Are there any full speed clips from his hayday?

Russ, from "sunny" Yorkshire = :-( 

In the bag: Driver: Ping G5 , Woods:Dunlop NZ9, 4 Hybrid: Tayormade Burner, 4-SW: Hippo Beast Bi-Metal , Wedges: Wilson 1200, Putter: Cleveland Smartsquare Blade, Ball: AD333

my improved single plan golf swing (not final stage yet)...almost there.. [video]https://youtube.com/watch?v=b0s-wGr3BwA[/video]

• 2 months later...

My swing is similar to Mo Norman's, and he inspired me to change everything. Before I had a very "wrist-rotaty" swing, and I felt like I was trying to flip the clubhead through the ball and time it perfectly.

About 2 months ago I switched to the "Mo Norman grip" with your back hand under the club holding it in the lifeline. I like it for a few reasons. 1For one, I am able to eliminate all the wrist rotation movement. That was really causing me to spray the ball all over, and even my good shots were a few feet left or right at best. With this grip it's much easier to have the clubface square at impact, hence straight shots for me - not just straighter in general, but way fewer "really bad misses".

Another reason I like it is because of how it affects the way your wrists bend. Many vardon grip players have a real scoopy motion at the bottom of the swing. Among other things, this can really increase the chance of hitting thin.With the Mo grip I find it really hard to "over release" the hinge on the downswing so my hand never fall into the bad behind-the-ball position.

Another thing that has helped me is swinging "at the target". In Mo's videos he makes fun of other golfers, "When they are swinging where to their clubs end up? Around their backs. I want the ball to go to the target,I swing at the target. They swing around the golf course. Their club swing points right into the trees. So where does their ball go? Rightinto the trees!" When my follow through is finished I try to have my chest hands and clubhead all in a line pointing at the target, and well, a whole lot of the time it goes to the target!

I do feel like sometimes on my driver I come through on an out-to-in path that puts sort of an unwanted fade on the ball, but it's nowhere near as bad as when I wasn't using this grip.

I think most people do not use the Moe Norman swing because, the "modern swing" let's you get some leverage by having the arms supported in a more solid manner? Turning the torso faster gives you a lot more speed with a lot less loss of the leverage? Basically, I think you can get more whip by supporting the arms better?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I think most people do not use the Moe Norman swing because,

I am not Moe Norman. :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I think most people do not use the Moe Norman swing because,

I am not Moe Norman.

Okay. . . ;-)

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

My swing is similar to Mo Norman's, and he inspired me to change everything. Before I had a very "wrist-rotaty" swing, and I felt like I was trying to flip the clubhead through the ball and time it perfectly.

All due respect but looking at your handicap, I doubt you swing similar to Moe Norman.

I am not Moe Norman.

Right, you can't just "adopt" someone else's swing.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Don't forget...Moe was odd. No arguing this. But Moe also was completely unaware of "feel ain't real". He would talk non-stop from the interview type videos of him hitting balls and Moe simply did not do what he thought he was doing.

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

For sure, Moe was super odd. And yes, sometimes he would say things that didn't really make sense 100% or match up exactly with how he was moving. BUT, he understood very well how to do his swing, and how to make the ball go in the direction he wanted it to go. Somehow I totally understand it. Certain things like when he says "I only think of one straight line through the ball right to the target". When I think about moving the club head in the line the entire time from the takeaway to the follow through, my ball goes straight. When I look at my swing on camera the club head comes back from a little wrist hinge, and on the follow through some momentum eventually carries the club head passed my front shoulder. The point is that you can't take everything he says literally, but use it as a guide to help you find your own similar style swing.

The real key is the grip. Once you have a grip that will always leave your club face square you can sort of just do your normal swing, but remember to swing at the target and not across into the trees like every other golfer.

Note: This thread is 882 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!