IGNORED

Who Cares About the Champions Tour?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care about the Champions Tour?

• Yes
    • No
    • Huh?

It's golf, so I care enough to watch, although I have to say I don't even recognize some of those guys. The star power is not what it was when Jack, Lee Trevino, Chi Chi, and those guys played. Pre Covid I watched an event that Scott Parel won...who the f*&k is Scott Parel? 

I will say I would rather watch them than the LPGA.

Danny    In my :ping: Hoofer Tour golf bag on my :clicgear: 8.0 Cart

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 
Putter: :odyssey:  2-Ball Ten Arm Lock        Ball: :titleist: ProV 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I enjoy watching the Champions Tour as my profile picture shows my interest in why (MAJ).

When the event local to me comes around, I definitely enjoy watching in person.  Its not as crowded as the local PGA Tour event and more enjoyable as a result.

• Like 1

I’ve tried to watch the Langer/McCarron tour. Unlike @NM Golf I’d actually rather watch a loaded LPGA tournament than a CT event. 

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

Well, as an old guy, I grew up watching Couples, Furyk, Els, Stricker, Kelly.....so, yes, we watch the Champions tour over the regular PGA tour when it's on. There is no way I can relate to a Woods, DeChambeau, Koepka, McIlroy. They are not playing a game I remember growing up.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 9.5o - 3 wood: Callaway Mavrik 15o - 3 Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 18o - Irons: Callaway Mavrik 4-PW, AW, GW, SW - Putter: TaylorMade T.P.A. X - Ball: Callaway SuperSoft - GPS: Garmin S20 GPS watch - Rangefinder: Bushnell Yardage Pro

Before the Honda moved to PGA National, they played the Senior PGA there for 18 years. It was a great tournament to follow the stars around and most of the players were very friendly especially Chi Chi Rodriguez who would give commentary as he played. Lee Trevino was a blast to follow around and watching him was like getting a lesson on how to hit scoring irons and wedges. He would also give commentary on how he hit a shot and talk to the gallery. It was just a lot of fun to watch. I remember one time when Jack was in a bunker on 15 and the marshall said, "Gee, it must take him an hour and a half to watch 60 minutes" and Jack looked up. He then settled and blasted it out to a foot and just smiled. There were a lot of stories that I remember well. 

Anyway, back then it was really the nostalgia tour and that played well for the time. Its still good golf to watch but somehow it is not as relevant. I don't really follow it and I even have a free event that plays down the street that I haven't gone to. One thing I do know is that those guys can play. 

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I enjoy watching the PGA, LPGA, Champions Tour and College Golf.

PGA is just stunning what they do with a golf ball.  

The LPGA & Champions Tour I can relate to how they play and I enjoy seeing the club selection and shot choice.  I can learn from both of these events.

College National Championships is a blast to watch.  Young people playing for their team.  Like a mini Ryder Cup.  Lot's of enthusiasm.

- Dean

Driver: PXG GEN3 Proto X Mitsubishi Tensei CK Pro Orange
Fairway wood: 5 Wood PXG 0341 GEN2 hzrdus smoke yellow

2 Iron PXG XP Evenflow Blue

3 Utility Iron Srixon 3 20*
Irons:  5 thru PW PXG GEN3 XP Steelfiber 95 -  Wedges: Mizuno T7 48, 52, 56 and 60 Recoil 110 shafts 6
Putter: In search of the Holy Grail Ball: Snell MTBx

3 hours ago, NM Golf said:

I will say I would rather watch them than the LPGA.

No way mang, I'd rather watch the freaking Symetra Tour than the Champions....

Colin P.

• Administrator
5 hours ago, bkuehn1952 said:

I was just thinking about the Champions Tour because their first post-COVID event is coming up.  Yawn.  

They just had it. Furyk won his first one, becoming the 19th player to win in his debut.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

2 hours ago, colin007 said:

No way mang, I'd rather watch the freaking Symetra Tour than the Champions....

It just comes down to the quality of the golf, the old dudes are still better and hit it farther than the ladies. Plus, the top players on the LPGA Tour are boring to watch. There are only 5 Americans in the Top 25 in the world. Heck there are twice as many Americans in the Top 25 in the order of Merit on the PGA Tour Series Asia.

Driver:   :pxg: 0311 Gen 5  X-Stiff.                        Irons:  :callaway: 4-PW APEX TCB Irons 
3 Wood: :callaway: Mavrik SZ Rogue X-Stiff                            Nippon Pro Modus 130 X-Stiff
3 Hybrid: :callaway: Mavrik Pro KBS Tour Proto X   Wedges: :vokey:  50°, 54°, 60° 

24 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

It just comes down to the quality of the golf, the old dudes are still better ...  than the ladies. 

I disagree.

25 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

Plus, the top players on the LPGA Tour are boring to watch. 

I disagree.

25 minutes ago, NM Golf said:

There are only 5 Americans in the Top 25 in the world. 

I count 8, but even if it is 5... or even if it is fewer. I still find players I can root for even if they weren't born in the US. 

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

34 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:
  1 hour ago, NM Golf said:

It just comes down to the quality of the golf, the old dudes are still better ...  than the ladies. 

I disagree.

Well..the stats support @NM Golf. Scoring average is lower on the CT, driving distance is longer and they play longer courses. Just sayin...

:ping: G25 Driver Stiff :ping: G20 3W, 5W :ping: S55 4-W (aerotech steel fiber 110g shafts) :ping: Tour Wedges 50*, 54*, 58* :nike: Method Putter Floating clubs: :edel: 54* trapper wedge

13 minutes ago, Vinsk said:

Well..the stats support @NM Golf. Scoring average is lower on the CT, driving distance is longer and they play longer courses. Just sayin...

They are women. They don't hit it as far as men. I don't expect them to. 

But, I get what you and @NM Golf are saying. If you watch golf in order to see people hit it far, then I understand. The LPGA isn't for you. 

22 minutes ago, Vespidae said:

I actually enjoy watching the LPGA. I like their swings and some of them are pretty hot. 

Here is something I can agree with. 

39 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I disagree.

Well as @Vinsk stated look at the stats. The scoring averages are lower on the Champions Tour and they play more difficult courses. To me that says the golf is better, at least statistically, on the Champions Tour.  As to which is more entertaining, thats a matter of opinion and concerning opinion you cannot argue.

40 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I disagree. 

I find a lot of the players on the LPGA Tour boring to watch, thats my opinion as well, if you disagree that is your right.

40 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

I count 8, but even if it is 5... or even if it is fewer. I still find players I can root for even if they weren't born in the US. 

Count again there are 5

rolexrankings-share.jpg

Rolex Rankings, the first-ever comprehensive world rankings system for professional women’s golf by Rolex. Discover the latest scores.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

If you watch golf in order to see people hit it far, then I understand. The LPGA isn't for you. 

I don’t. I don’t watch the PGA TOUR for that matter alone either. As I said, I prefer a loaded LPGA tournament over any CT. What bores me about the LPGA and usually the CT is the lack of ‘awe’ in shot making. Sure distance is often a large part of the excitement. But so is sheer talent and strength which is often lacking on both the LPGA and the CT. 
I get zero thrill watching the ladies lay up to par 5’s over and over. I don’t admire the simple punch outs because they can’t hit a 30 yard slice or hook from deep rough either because ...they can’t or they have a bad back.

I completely get the ladies are great golfers. But they’re not dazzling shot makers and neither are the CT guys. Almost every time there’s a tight finish going into a playoff it’s a gentle poke down the middle followed by a safe shot to the green. 

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, NM Golf said:

Count again there are 5

rolexrankings-share.jpg

Rolex Rankings, the first-ever comprehensive world rankings system for professional women’s golf by Rolex. Discover the latest scores.

Wow, that's interesting. I looked at this list and it's different.

Find out which LPGA Tour golfers are the biggest bankrollers at the Money List Leaderboard on ESPN.com.

But again, it doesn't matter. I enjoy watching the LPGA. No law says you have to. 

9 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

They are women. They don't hit it as far as men. I don't expect them to. 

The do hit it as far as me, which is part of the reason I watch. I like to see how good players with my distance play shots.

Bernard Langer is a great player, but I’d rather watch Danielle Kang. For men’s golf, the PGA and Euro Tours and a better show.

• Thumbs Up 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

Wow, that's interesting. I looked at this list and it's different.

Find out which LPGA Tour golfers are the biggest bankrollers at the Money List Leaderboard on ESPN.com.

But again, it doesn't matter. I enjoy watching the LPGA. No law says you have to. 

You can’t use one Tour’s money list when someone says “in the world” when that sport has a literal world ranking list. It’s five.

And this topic isn’t about the LPGA.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 1332 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!