IGNORED

Who Cares About the Champions Tour?

iacas
Note: This thread is 1326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

53 members have voted

1. 1. Do you care about the Champions Tour?

• Yes
    • No
    • Huh?

• Administrator

I don't. Here's

an interesting article that contains this quote:
As for the public’s dwindling level of interest in the Champions Tour, there’s really not a whole lot to figure out. What was popular in the early 1990s can seem like an utterly meaningless afterthought in 2006. In hitting the skids, the senior tour has dissolved from a superstar-driven enterprise to an awkward, commercially driven has-been, much like a lot of the men who play it. The fad has gone bad, suffering not so much from a lack of charisma, but a total lack of relevance.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I said "YES" because I'm still crazy enough to believe, that with some diet, excercise and after winning lottery (to be able to work on my game) I could try to play there one day
As far as watching it on TV right now - don't care for it a bit

While I enjoy some of the players that are on the tour and the history of those players, I can't make myself care much about who is winning on a weekly basis. I know it will be me one day, but I don't like watching Doyle struggle to walk up the fairway, or the incomplete finishes of the older players. Maybe that will change in 5 years when Vijay takes over.......
In The Bag
Ping Rapture 10.5* Aldila Proto 65-S
Sonartec SS 3.5 19* 5W Fuji Tour Platform Stiff
Mizuno MP-30 3-PW
Titleist Vokey Spin Milled 54.10*, 60.04*Odyssey White Hot 2 BallTitleist Pro V1x

I wish I did care, because those guys really can play, but no, I don't.

In fact, I'm kind of dreading the days that Vijay, Freddy C, and others in that generation turn 50. Because when they do, they'll go to the Champions Tour, and disappear to me.

Sure, they'll dominate that tour, and bring excitement, and blah blah blah. But will I watch? I doubt it.

Seriously -- any tour that Lorne Roberts is utterly dominating isn't exactly scintillating stuff. Even Peter Jacobson got boring when he joined.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

I enjoy watching any and all golf. Given a choice I would watch PGA first, Euro second, then the old fellas. They are all still great golfers and it gives me a second chance to watch some of the former greats compete.

I enjoy watching any and all golf. Given a choice I would watch PGA first, Euro second, then the old fellas. They are all still great golfers and it gives me a second chance to watch some of the former greats compete.

I watch LPGA before the Euros and the old fellas. And hell, I'll watch a big LPGA tournament before a minor PGA event.

"I played like shit." -Greg Norman after the '96 Masters.

I care for it, I just don't watch it. My son played on the Nike tour and thats why I feel it is important. Oops, the Phoenix Open is coming on so I'm outta here!

Golf is not a game, it's a way of life!

Driver...Cubic Balance offset
Fairway wood......Flying Saucer
3-Wood....Cleveland LauncherIrons.......Callaway Great Big Bertha w/graphite shaftswedges....Cleveland sand wedge, Callaway Lob wedge putter....Claveland VAS.

I'd watch the PGA Tour, college golf (if it was on consistently), LPGA Tour, European Tour, and Nationwide Tour before I'd consistently watch the Champions Tour. So no, I'm not really into it much.

The players are getting better and better, but I just can't watch it for some reason. It doesn't tickle my fancy.

As for Vijay Singh, I don't think he will be making an appearance on the Champions Tour until he is 54 ro 55. He still has A LOT of good years left on the PGA Tour.

Actually everyones references to Singh show what the problem is. When Trevino, Player, Don January and other greats from the regular tour were winning it was an exercise in nostolgia. Where is Curtis Strange, Greg Norman, etc. Also the 80d and 90s didn't create very many real stars. If Seve, Azinger, Faldo, actually play and win interest will increase. Until then Paula Vs Michille is more interesting.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

I said "YES" because I'm still crazy enough to believe, that with some diet, excercise and after winning lottery (to be able to work on my game) I could try to play there one day

You took the words out of my mouth...except for the "YES" part. I still voted no because I don't care about it.

Not until I can win some money on it.

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

• 13 years later...

I was just thinking about the Champions Tour because their first post-COVID event is coming up.  Yawn.  

Nothing has really changed since this thread was started in 2006, except that possibly even fewer of the stars are willing to play regularly, if at all, on the Champions Tour.  I actually went to the 1991 Senior Open, the year Jack Nicklaus beat Chi Chi Rodriguez in a playoff.  You would have to pay me to go to a Champions Tour event now.

Brian Kuehn

Didn't notice the OP started this way back when, :whistle:
But since it's been revived, I enjoyed watching it when it first started and still watch the events.
The really only draw back is the tour seems to be dominated year after year by the same players, but that's all good.

IMO, after a long career on the PGA Tour, many of the players probably are reluctant to continue and simply retire
to be with families. 

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

The only Champion Tour event I follow is when it is in town, like this past weekend.   I've followed the PGA Tour when they played the Buick Open there and it's nice to see others play the same course.   Now that it is over and Jim Furyk won,     (yawn)

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

I'll also chime in on the revived topic and poll here.

I regretfully voted "No". If I catch it when it is on I will always watch it, but I don't follow it at all like I do the PGA. I mostly just wanna see a couple (Couples being the main one) of guys (the ones at the top) .

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

I voted no. Even though I will watch a champions tour event if its on.

The reason I voted no is because I will literally watch any golf they televise. Having said that The Champions Tour ranks dead last for me in terms of interest. 

My preference is the PGA tour events. 

After that I'd watch LPGA events, then Nationwide events, then college events, then Euro Tour events, then mini tour events, eventually if no other options exist I'll watch the Champions tour. I guess the only event I'd be less likely to watch is the female version of the champions tour... if there is such a thing.

• Like 1

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

2 minutes ago, CarlSpackler said:

I am eligible next year.

Sadly I remember a point in time when I thought the senior tour guys were really old. 😒

HA HA HA HA, oh that does my heart good. I remember when they seemed so old as well. I have just become eligible as well. And it sucks. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

The charities supported by the events care about them.

• Like 2

But then again, what the hell do I know?

Rich - in name only

Note: This thread is 1326 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!