IGNORED

How Do You Hit 170 Yards With 7 Iron?

Note: This thread is 1644 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

i hit my 7 iron roughly 170-180... didnt think it was long at all actually.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Hit a five iron and tell the guys I'm playing with that I hit a seven?

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

But you are at a disadvantage from the get go if an opponent is hitting a 9 iron from the same spot as your 7. This is something I see a lot of. I can out shoot some of the guys I play with, but when they hit an 8 on a 175 yd par 3, my 6 can't consistently put it inside them. I'd rather approach with an 8 than a 6.

Not necessarily. Many times people will be more accurate by taking one extra club and swinging easy.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

But you are at a disadvantage from the get go if an opponent is hitting a 9 iron from the same spot as your 7. This is something I see a lot of. I can out shoot some of the guys I play with, but when they hit an 8 on a 175 yd par 3, my 6 can't consistently put it inside them. I'd rather approach with an 8 than a 6.

Unless of course their 9 iron is just super strong lofted-then they're hitting the same club as you. 7 or 9 is just a number they put on the sole. Also, if two sets of clubs are equal lofts, and one guy is de-lofting his 9 so that he hits it 7 iron length, he might as well be hitting a 7 iron.

I routinely hit multiple 7 irons (from 45*-48*) 170 or more last summer-but I was swinging too hard. I eased up on all my irons, my accuracy increased, and my handicap went down.

Unless of course their 9 iron is just super strong lofted-then they're hitting the same club as you. 7 or 9 is just a number they put on the sole. Also, if two sets of clubs are equal lofts, and one guy is de-lofting his 9 so that he hits it 7 iron length, he might as well be hitting a 7 iron.

I meant 7 irons 33*-36* (I listed the PW lofts).

I have a 35* 7-iron and go 150-155. For 170 I use my 28* hybrid.

When you try and get max distance out of an iron, you do it at the expense of accuracy.

Driver: Nike Ignite 10.5 w/ Fujikura Motore F1
2H: King Cobra
4H: Nickent 4DX
5H: Adams A3
6I 7I 8I 9I PW: Mizuno mp-57Wedges: Mizuno MP T-10 50, 54, 58 Ball: random

Also, if two sets of clubs are equal lofts, and one guy is de-lofting his 9 so that he hits it 7 iron length, he might as well be hitting a 7 iron.

But then he can hit that 7 iron 5 iron length, and the 5 iron 3 iron length.

- Joel

TM M3 10.5 | TM M3 17 | Adams A12 3-4 hybrid | Mizuno JPX 919 Tour 5-PW

Vokey 50/54/60 | Odyssey Stroke Lab 7s | Bridgestone Tour B XS

Home Courses - Willow Run & Bakker Crossing

Well, I play Callway X20 Tours and the 7 iron is a stock 34* and I hit it anywhere around 170-180 depending on what I want to hit. I do hit my irons long though, I do not swing fast rather than hard (if that makes sense). I am a, as one of my good friends likes to call me, beefy guy. I am 6'1 218 and try to always create a lot of arch with my swing. I do not get very steep on my swing even with my irons of than my wedges. I can hit my 8 iron 170 if I want to but I will block it a little right but I will play that shot if I want to hold it against the wind...

I think it really comes down to speed, ball striking and strenght... That is all...

Well, the 9 also usually has a shorter shaft, so it may be a touch easier to control, even if the difference is loft and not swing speed. Prob not a big diff between the 7 and 9, but every little bit helps...

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

How do you measure the loft of your clubs? I have ben hogans from 1990. Since they are so old, is it likely that they are more lofted?

How do you measure the loft of your clubs? I have ben hogans from 1990. Since they are so old, is it likely that they are more lofted?

Yes.

A Hogan H40 4 iron from around that era had a loft of 26º. A current TaylorMade Burner 4 iron has a loft of 21º. The H40's 3 iron had 23º of loft.

:ping:

• G400 - 9° /Alta CB 55 Stiff / G410-SFT - 16° /Project X 6.0S 85G / G410 - 20.5° /Tensei Orange 75S
  • G710 - 4 iron/SteelFiber i110cw Stiff • / i210 - 5 iron - UW / AWT 2.0 Stiff
  • Glide SS - 54° / CFS Wedge / Glide 2.0 SS - 58°/10 / KBS 120S / Hoofer - Black

:scotty_cameron: - Select Squareback / 35"  -  :titleist: - Pro V1 / White  -  :clicgear: - 3.5+ / White

Guys, you need to get your 7-iron bent to give it more loft...like at least 40*. It's the only way to keep it under 190 yards.

For 170 I need the hole to be uphill with a strong wind in my face, an open stance, and I will open the blade a little bit just too make sure I don't hit it too far.

Don't forget to choke down on the grip too - that's what I do.

3/4 swing... of course.

this made me lol. I seriously have a friend who is new-ish to golf.He has a nice 3 wood and loves to hit it. i mean off the tee, from 250, 200, 150, 125 and even chip with it. he is probably in the 130-150 range. I dont know what handicap that is. We play on a 72.5/127. He literally makes me mad when we play. It takes the fun out. He wants me to help him but he wants to hit 3w from everywhere just bc its a nice 3w. I am not even kidding. He says on 170 par 3 he can take a 3/4 swing and it stays 20 feet above the ground and dont even make it there. He drives about 230-ish and just wont take advice. I told him first thing first you need to hit the range and find out what yardage you hit each club. I told him to practice his 150 club and get it good and then aim to get to the 150 on every hole.

What's in my Sasquatch II bag:
Driver 8.5* Victory Red Str8-Fit with VooDoo Stiff
3 Wood Speedline Fast 10 with Matrix Stiff
4 Wood Victory Red Str8-Fit with VooDoo Stiff
Irons Forged Pro Combo Tour 3-PWWedge 54*10 Vokey SMWedge 60*04 Vokey SMPutter 2.6 SS NewportBall Prov1x

I usually hit my 7i about 185. I just take a nice easy swing without thinking about killing it.
Driver......... R9 Supertri 9.5* - Project X 6.5
FWY Wood.. MP Titanium 15* - Project X 6.0
Irons........... MP 68 3-PW - Project X 6.0
Wedges....... xFT 52.09 56.16
................... Tour 59.06Putter.......... Studio Select Squareback Ball............. ProV1x Supporting Project X One 330...

just deloft the swing and you can hit it 200 yards.

I deloft my 7 so far that after the ball stops rolling I have to tell people it's not really a "7" stamped on there. It's a Rumanian "1". Otherwise they're either asking for tips all day or they want to carry me around the course on their shoulders. It's embarassing.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I deloft my irons so much my hands are in full wraparound before the club face has even reached the ball.
  • Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Note: This thread is 1644 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!