Sign in to follow this  
jubess

Tiger Woods News Conference Friday

Note: This thread is 3357 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

290 posts / 28718 viewsLast Reply

Source: http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6267041/20108978
Before the press conference was announced, Woods' publicist spoke with the president of the Golf Writers Association of America, who helped select which reporters would be allowed to attend. Woods' publicist said Woods mostly plans to explain himself and fall on his sword.

"That's it," said Vartan Kupelian, the GWAA president. "He just wants to come out and tell his side of the story. Not even so much that, but to mostly apologize and to see if he can start making amends."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Source: http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/6267041/20108978 Before the press conference was announced, Woods' publicist spoke with the president of the Golf Writers Association of America, who helped select which reporters would be allowed to attend. Woods' publicist said Woods mostly plans to explain himself and fall on his sword. "That's it," said Vartan Kupelian, the GWAA president. "He just wants to come out and tell his side of the story. Not even so much that, but to mostly apologize and to see if he can start making amends."

So basically what they'e been saying for a day and a half now?

Well, now we know why the press conference is urgent -- according to the commissioner himself, Tiger needs to get back to therapy.

ESPN.com Article
"As we understand it, Tiger's therapy called for a week's break at this time during which he has spent a few days with his children and then will make his statement before returning," Finchem said in a letter Thursday. "Accordingly, there was very little flexibility in the date for the announcement."

I watched that interview with Finchem. What a joke, when the commish has become a spokesperson/apologist for one pro golfer, peddling a feeble excuse like that.

Ernie was right.

I watched that interview with Finchem. What a joke, when the commish has become a spokesperson/apologist for one pro golfer, peddling a feeble excuse like that.

Did you not read that quote that Alex B posted? He has to return to rehab immediately afterward.

And exactly which feeble excuse would you be referring to? Can't wait to hear this one...

Ernie was right? No, Ernie really needs to keep his mouth shut. Ernie wouldn't have nearly as large of a bank account if it weren't for Tiger. Ernie might wanna concentrate on his game a little more instead of making comments to the media. Oh wait, I'm sorry, I'm forgetting, winning is not what's important, is it??

It's obvious what Tiger is doing to his ex-sponsor and why. A real class act .......... not.

Are you guys aware there's something going on in Arizona at the moment? Check out the golf news on the internet and everywhere else - it's (almost) all about the TW show. Just what he and his handlers must have expected.

It's obvious what Tiger is doing to his ex-sponsor and why. A real class act .......... not.

And what exactly is it he's doing to his ex-sponsor? The press conference takes place before play begins.

Ya know what? Even if the timing was 100% intentional, I wouldnt care. Hell, I'd applaud him for doing it. I'd do the same. If I had a chance to basically give the middle finger to someone who abandoned me when things weren't going perfect, I'd do it in a heartbeat. Class was thrown out the window a long time ago, when tablods like TMZ got involved. It was also really extra super classy of Els to even make a comment period. Guess he wont be available for comments for the rest of the weekend though...

"As we understand it, Tiger's therapy called for a week's break at this time during which he has spent a few days with his children and then will make his statement before returning," Finchem said in a letter Thursday. "Accordingly, there was very little flexibility in the date for the announcement."

The tournament doesn't start before hours after his little session. And if he were to time it to kick Accenture in the side, why the hell not, when they dropped him like a hot potato? If anything, this brings a whole lot of attention to golf, probably making the ratings for Accenture go even higher. They won't be talking about Tiger all the time on the WGC TV schedule.

Definately not a retirement statement - given that there are now photos of him in full Nike attire, practising on his private golf-range in Isleworth yesterday.

Probably some kind of apology/explanation about personal issues.
Hopefully an ETA of his return to golf.

It's obvious what Tiger is doing to his ex-sponsor and why. .

The timing of this was cleared with Accenture before it was announced and they were very supportive of it. The first tee time today is 12:00 ET. This is obviously just part of his rehab steps. He makes his apology and goes back to rehab. I don't expect any announcement on a return today.

How can you people say hes trying to stick it to Accenture? His agent had it passed by Accenture to make sure its ok to do then. If anything him announcing this today is better for this event. NO ONE would be talking about this event in the national headlines because all the big names got eliminated.

Just a faulty argument that shows no understanding of randomness. Look, there are thirteen weeks in the PGA Tour season before the Masters. So, assuming that Tiger was always going to speak at some point this year before Augusta, there's a 1/13 chance it would happen during the week of this tournament -- odds that are not high enough to infer that Tiger is intentionally trying to slight Accenture by holding the conference this week. It may well be true, it's a understandable hypothesis, but it's in no way "obvious." Correlation does not imply causation, folks.

The timing of this was cleared with Accenture before it was announced and they were very supportive of it.

Chas - never one to let facts get in the way of a pissy rant.

See. This is what happens when people spout off without having all the facts. Just look at Ernie and all those who think Tiger is sticking it to Accenture.

See. This is what happens when people spout off without having all the facts. Just look at Ernie and all those who think Tiger is sticking it to Accenture.

I'll retract my earlier statement becasue I did not know Accenture had approved it.

Note: This thread is 3357 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!