IGNORED

Comments? Discussion? Qualifying for a Nationwide tournament by 2011.

tsdnorton
Note: This thread is 5011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So let me start this off with, I never played golf while younger. My dad tried to get me to go out and play when I was younger and I played a few times just kinda hacking at it, never really trying.

I am a completely self taught 4.2index right now (playing for 5 years) and have......No chance at any tour. As it pertains to pressure, I played for the JR Blue jays here in Toronto and played NCAA Div1 baseball before getting drafted and playing minor league ball for 2 years. I know ALL about pressure and can handle it quite easily. Even with that advantage, I still have no chance at competing on any professional golf tour which is a VERY realistic and honest statement.

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This thread is just turning into a bashing session.

Don't be surprised. Although golf is supposed to be a gentleman's game, there are still a lot of classless people in and around it. You asked your question and I think you got some valuable feedback, even from the people who were intentional jerks. At least you're not delusional like some of the guys who think they are inconsistently great ball strikers. Take your newfound sense of awareness and reset some goals that you think are realistic yet still keep you on track for following any dreams or aspirations you have.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

This thread is just turning into a bashing session. I honestly was just seeking friendly advice and thoughts/comments :) I'm in no way attacking anyone, or even bashing them for bashing me. All I was simply doing was asking a question. As to most of the results, it seems like it's not too possible. I didn't know, eveyone around here that I play with don't have time or dedication to put into making something out of their game consistantly. So I figured I'd ask a group of peers that maybe DO have that time, and see their advice.

Well said OP! Anyway...my only point is that people all look at the 'odds' and say that it's '1 in a million' that make it or whatever. When you are looking at yourself, you can't look at the odds, if that was the case then noone would even try. My one main advice is don't quit when it gets 'a little cold' up in Central Cal. I live in the Pacific NW, it rains here about 80% of the time, I still go and practice on those dreary Jan/Feb mornings layered up. Why...not because I think I can make it onto the Nationwide tour, it's because I love this game. That's why you do it.

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

I'm just dumbfounded by the amount of people who say "its not possible." and mean it so frankly.

What is possible in life? What do you think people said to the Wright brothers when they told someone they were gonna build a machine that flies? What do you think people said about computers before one existed?

My point is that trying to say that anything is impossible is just foolish. How many pro golfers probably heard "you can't make it" "its too hard for YOU to make it there"...but here some people are telling a guy they've never met that he just can't do something...welll, simply because they said so.

Silly, have some optimism in your life. The only "negative" post that was in any way reasonable was Iacas and his philosophy with dreams.

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

i'm just dumbfounded by the amount of people who say "its not possible." and mean it so frankly.

exactly!!!!!

In my :nike:  bag on my :clicgear: cart ...

Driver: :ping: G10 9*    3-Wood: :cleveland: Launcher
Hybrid: :adams: 20* Hybrid      Irons: :ping: i5 4-GW - silver dot, +1/2"
Wedges: :cleveland: 56* (bent to 54*) and 60* CG10     Putter: :ping: Craz-e (original blue)

All this reminds me of dumb and dumber.

Lloyd: I want to ask you a question... straight out, flat out... and I want you to give me an honest answer. What do you think the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?
Mary: Well Lloyd... that's difficult to say... you really don't...
Lloyd: Hit me! Just give it to me straight! I came a long way just to see you Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?
Mary: Not good.
Lloyd: [Gulps] You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?
Mary: I'd say more like... one out of a million.
Lloyd: So you're telling me there's a chance. Yeah!

The funny thing about that exchange is that Lloyd is not put off by the odds causing everyone to us to laugh at him. Here we are talking about a feat that must be less likely than winning the lotto, strike that, OP is more likely to visit the moon in the next 5 years than to make it into a Nationwide Tour event. Now I'm not suggesting to laugh at OP but I am going to laugh at the many Lloyds in this topic who get excited about a negligible chance.

And it's not just a guessing game. OP gave us several facts to base these remarks off. But I'd just like to lay down one challenge because i've seen these types of topics before. I'm not asking this to call OP a liar, he was only asking a question but just out of interest I long for someone who brings up topics about unlikely ambitions to actually put their money where their mouth is. I'd love to see if he can get to scratch within a year.

I'm just dumbfounded by the amount of people who say "its not possible." and mean it so frankly.

I am dumbfounded by the fact that so many people think it IS possible.

The people who have achieved things don't do it from a position where the evidence shows them having no chance. Have you ever noticed how the people who start these ridiculous threads NEVER say "I shot 66 two times in a row at club x in competition x. Here is a link to the tournament results. I have been playing for x years." They ALWAYS post a DIY handicap which in all likelihood indicates they've never broken 80. Yet still, they wonder if people they've never met, who've never seen them play, think they have a chance to mix it with the pros. They NEVER say they won their B Grade club championship after 2 years playing. They never link to a website which shows their scores in real competition and they and they never post their swing. And then all of these morons get up here and say "Hey. You can do it man, if you believe you can. It just depends how much you want it, man. Congrats on your 'cap man. etc. etc. The biggest lie ever told to people is "You can do anything you wnat if you are prepared to work for it and REALLY, REALLY want it." None of these players have ever seen a professional strike the ball, because it is self evident that if they had they wouldn't make the stupid posts in the first place. And....every time one of these posts crops up, there is a bunch of sensible posts with links to mini tour scores whre guys you have never heard of shoot 61 and make $500 and someone shoots 68 and makes $9.50. The OP never mentions these posts. The cart is ALWAYS put before the course. Always the ambition to play as a pro. NEVER to enter a local tournament. Straight to the top. The evidence that they have game is that they hit an 8 iron onto the green a few times a week. I won't even start on the guys who play off "about 12", but have never played a competition in their life, but think that they're going to play on the Champions' Tour in ten years' time. Have a look at Ben Tateel's posts and see how easy he's finding it.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I dont think people are saying it is necessarly possible, they are saying give it a whirl what have you got to lose....

I think I understand what it takes to play on tour as much as anyone, My college roomate is a current PGA tour member, as well as several of our college team mates. I know what kind of game those guys had, and what they have now!

Let me say, my game is not ready for even a mini-tour. But crazy things happened, I was lucky enough to play the pro-am for a nationwide tourney 2 years ago. I beat our pro by 5 shots, and that Pro is now on the PGA tour. SOOoo, crazy things happen.

Now this OP, has a ALOT of work to do. However, I will be first in line to tell him to go for it even if you dont make it in a year or 2, you played alot of rounds of golf and that is the point of all of this! Oh yea, and GO Dawgs!!!

I learned to play golf at a course run by former Masters and PGA Champion Jack Burke. One of the things he preaches is that anyone with the slightest amount of athletic ability can become a single-digit handicap if they have enough drive and determination to do it. To me, you getting down to a 7.8 with hard work and the help of teaching yourself through golf books and such is a perfect example.

When I think of the difference between a 7.8 handicap and someone that is qualifying for a Nationwide event, it's about the same difference between a 7.8 handicap and some that can't even make contact with the ball. Nationwide Tour players are 99.99% as good as PGA Tour players; the only difference is making 2 or 3 putts and hitting 2 or 3 "better" shots over a 72 hole tournament.

I guess to answer your question, you have absolutely no chance in hell of qualifying for a Nationwide event.

I am dumbfounded by the fact that so many people think it IS possible.

I'm not saying whether its feasable that this guy makes a Nationwide event or anything else like that...all I'm saying is that for anyone to sit and say "its impossible" really doesn't have a clue about life....How is it impossible? We're not talking about solving cancer here, we're talking about getting good at golf. If everyone just went on the basis that "its not possible" we'd be in the dark with rocks to this day. You denial of the fact that if someone wants to achieve a goal, it is possible with work just seems sad to me. What do you look forward to in life if you don't feel like putting in work can lead to achievement. If you believe that every pro golfer was just born that way and that the vast majority of them haven't put in work to get where they are(and btw, their work is no secret..any of us can do it if we put in the time and money), then why do you strive to get better at the game if you aren't already a pro? What are you shooting for?

My philosophy on golf "We're not doing rocket science, here."

I'm not saying whether its feasable that this guy makes a Nationwide event or anything else like that...all I'm saying is that for anyone to sit and say "its impossible" really doesn't have a clue about life....

I think the point is... we might solve and cure cancer and AIDS before this happens.

just kidding, whether thats harsh or not, the point is that "impossible" in a not-so-literal sense. The chances are so slim that you might as well just say impossible.

DST Tour 9.5 Diamana Whiteboard
909F3 15* 3 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
909F3 18* 5 FW stock Aldila Voodoo
'09 X-Forged 3-PW Project-X 6.0 Flighted
CG15 56* X-Tour 60* Abaco

Truthfully there are a lot of posters on this forum that have no chance of playing golf at any tour level and their egos and not being able to accomplish similar feats on the golf course have greatly influenced their answers. Its easy to tell the jealous posters, the ones who actually get mad when you tell a kid to follow his dreams. Anyhow you look at it, getting to a 7.8 in a couple of months is phenomenal. If the OP is legit and his handicap is that low after playing for such a short time he definitely is not lacking in talent. Whenever someone tells you that you can't accomplish a task because they couldn't, that should immediately raise some flags.

One of my friends I play with on occasion is about a +3 and he wins every tournament within 100 miles of where I live. We both started playing at the same age and I was better than him. He took golf more seriously and today he is the hands down best around. He started off looking like and average schmuck you see daily on the course but with dedication and hard work he has been very successful and even competed on mini tour play. Follow your dreams OP, you never know until you try.

What's with all the negativity?

Very well stated. Stay classy Taggsy.

I really think you should try and go for it. Like Taggsy said, dedicate all or most of your free time to do this if you really want to. You've gone a long ways in the little time that you've spent in the game. You only live once ;) ~RHPM

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha Diablo 9º
2 Hybrid: Callaway Big Bertha Heavenwood
Irons: Nike Slingshot OSS 6-3 iron
          Taylormade Tour Preferred PW-7 iron
Wedges: Cleveland CG14 50º, 54º
              Taylormade RAC 58º
Putter: Ping Darby 32" shaft

Very well stated. Stay classy Taggsy.

So........OK I've changed my mind.

Go for it man. If you really want to do it, you can do it. If everyone thought like the haters, we'd be living in caves. All you need to do is to really really work hard. Dedicate yourself to it man. You only live once. If you're a 7.8 after a year you'll be a +3 in a year. I mean, you did say next year, it's not as if you said this year. Anyone who says you can't do it is a jealous hater. Ricky Fowler became a pro after playing for 6 months. Greg Norman too. He only played for a year and he was a scratch. I think Tiger turned pro at 13 and he'd been playing for a month at most. (I hit a wedge better than him BTW, hit a fairway with one once on a par 3) What more proof do you need. If you can dream it, you can be it!! Man...I only wish I had the cash. I mean, that's all you need. I'd be joining you Heh.. I've just got to keep my game in shape until I'm 50 when I join the Champions' Tour. And NOTHING IS GOING TO STOP ME!!!!!!!!! How "classy" is my new attitude.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

At first I was thinking like most others "no way." Now I think it's definitely possible IF OP changes his goal from within the next 12 months to the next few years. It's just not going to happen that quickly.

So........OK I've changed my mind.

It's really nice. Especially the way you made each line a little bit longer than the last - when I hold your new attitude up to a mirror it looks like a rainbow. Or maybe a Christmas tree that's just missing the star. Wait, no it isn't. The picture of you in that bunker, little buddy - you're the star!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I may be one of the "inconsistent ball strikers" but if you put all your effort into this there is a possibility that you can do it. You just have to realize all of the other guys are using all of their resources to make it as well and there are only so many chairs to sit in... I think if you achieve consistency with very low scores you can do it. I see players shooting quite a bit over par but the course is set up considerably harder I imagine. +3 seems to be the number to "ride the nationwide train" but if you are just looking to qualify and play a Thursday and Friday round, it could be feasible with 0.0. A scratch handicap will be tough though and you may have to sleep with your clubs, maybe add a year or two, to your time frame. I don't know you or your freedom to practice so I can not say yay or nay. I find the topic somewhat of a waste because only you know you and how dedicated you will be.

It is nice to see some positive guys on the site though and not just people waiting to kick you in the nuts.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 5011 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!