IGNORED

Quickie Pitching Video - Golf Pitch Shot Technique

iacas
Note: This thread is 1371 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator

A few statements of truth:

1. The ball doesn't care about anything that occurs after impact (with you, the club, etc.).
  2. What comes after is an indication of what has occurred before.
  3. Some pros and good players have the "saggy" look like Mike. Some have a more "tree trunk" look of their legs standing tall.
  4. Many pros/better players will look a bit different with standard pitch versus one with low hands (for higher shots), or other types of shots.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Damn, another "flipper"...... ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

mvmac....thanks for that........as this topic goes on we are forced more and more into the mechanics of the wrists/hands/arms,something the average handicapper never considers.From what I see,as the wrists/hands approach impact,the extension of the right wrist/hand increases (to be clear,the angle between the back of the right hand and lower forearm has decreased relative to address position),or a more cocked position.If we agree and my terminology is correct,then we cannot have both the right hand and left hand extension  decreasing at the same time on the way to impact.This IMO means  left hand extension or cupping/flipping cannot be occurring.

IMHO, you are overthinking ... try getting to a chipping area and practicing these various techniques. Take some of what you think you should do and try it. Then try what iacas, mvmac, and others are instructing, demoing.

Learning new technique take time ... and practice.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

mvmac....thanks for that........as this topic goes on we are forced more and more into the mechanics of the wrists/hands/arms,something the average handicapper never considers.From what I see,as the wrists/hands approach impact,the extension of the right wrist/hand increases (to be clear,the angle between the back of the right hand and lower forearm has decreased relative to address position),or a more cocked position.If we agree and my terminology is correct,then we cannot have both the right hand and left hand extension  decreasing at the same time on the way to impact.This IMO means  left hand extension or cupping/flipping cannot be occurring.

It doesn't. Right wrist flexes as it goes into impact:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Wait what? Bobby Jones let his club pass the hands on a bunker shot :scared:

Bunkers shots are really just pitch shots out of sand anyways :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Check out the "softness" on these practice swings

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Quote:

Originally Posted by mvmac

Check out the "softness" on these practice swings

Looks great.  How does he get it to check like that?

Constantine

So to create more spin with this pitching technique do I have to have more speed into impact?  When I hit this shot it doesn't really check when it hits the green.  It kinda lands soft and rolls out.  Sergio's definitely checked on the 3rd or 4th bounce. Id love to know how to get the ball to check like that with the same technique I'm currently using (page 1 if your wondering).

• Administrator
So to create more spin with this pitching technique do I have to have more speed into impact?  When I hit this shot it doesn't really check when it hits the green.  It kinda lands soft and rolls out.  Sergio's definitely checked on the 3rd or 4th bounce. Id love to know how to get the ball to check like that with the same technique I'm currently using (page 1 if your wondering).

Generally speaking, you want to generate a spin loft of about 45°. It's more of a "stop the ball with trajectory" - a "high, soft" technique.

The lower (Sergio's shot) spinner is a different technique. Hinge the club up on the backswing, release it a bit into impact, then hold it off a bit from there and swing a little more left than a stock pitch.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Thank you very much sir. It looks like the set up was pretty similar for his shot to the one you teach.  Thats why I was wondering how different it was it doesn't look all that much different (in that video anyway).  Is that a shot you would teach or is the way your teaching it a better shot?  It looks to me like he's still using bounce.

Generally speaking, you want to generate a spin loft of about 45°. It's more of a "stop the ball with trajectory" - a "high, soft" technique. The lower (Sergio's shot) spinner is a different technique. Hinge the club up on the backswing, release it a bit into impact, then hold it off a bit from there and swing a little more left than a stock pitch.

What's your take on the one shot vs. the other? Is it a situational thing, or do you always prefer the high, soft shot?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

It looks to me like he's still using bounce.

Absolutely, get some tight lies in the desert and you can see he didn't take a divot, probably just thumped the ground and ball contact sounds like a "click".

What's your take on the one shot vs. the other? Is it a situational thing, or do you always prefer the high, soft shot?

Most amateurs are going to see more success with med-high soft shot IMO

The key is getting good at consistently hitting solid pitches, being able to hit them from a variety of lies, then you can experiment with other shots.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Most amateurs are going to see more success with med-high soft shot IMO The key is getting good at consistently hitting solid pitches, being able to hit them from a variety of lies, then you can experiment with other shots.

I agree with you 100%. I didnt learn the low spinner until I was comfortable with my contact. I'm one of those guys that likes to experiment with pitch shots from different lies. Of course, now I'm working on the basic pitch again because I'm changing the motion I'm used to. Do balls spin more off tight lies and fast greens? I think I read somewhere that part of the reason tour pros spin it so much is because of the conditions they play in, is that true?

Bill

My Swing Thread

I agree with you 100%. I didnt learn the low spinner until I was comfortable with my contact. I'm one of those guys that likes to experiment with pitch shots from different lies. Of course, now I'm working on the basic pitch again because I'm changing the motion I'm used to. Do balls spin more off tight lies and fast greens? I think I read somewhere that part of the reason tour pros spin it so much is because of the conditions they play in, is that true?

Bill, I love you to death man, but for now you'll drop some strokes if you keep your short game, pitches and chips, as consistent and simple as possible.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Bill, I love you to death man, but for now you'll drop some strokes if you keep your short game, pitches and chips, as consistent and simple as possible.

Agreed on this. In most cases a handful of shots, maybe less can be enough for majority of short game shots. I really never go high unless I need to carry something, if I am short sided, or if I need to drop the ball on a section of the green because pitching it would cause to much uncertainty with roll out. Besides that, I just try to hit the same pitch shot over and over, just vary the distance.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Do balls spin more off tight lies and fast greens? I think I read somewhere that part of the reason tour pros spin it so much is because of the conditions they play in, is that true?

The answer to this is yes, the conditions help.

Nate

:tmade:(11.5) :touredge:(2H) MIURA MB-101(3-PW) :mizuno:(52/56/60)

:odyssey: :snell: 

Note: This thread is 1371 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!