IGNORED

Pipe Dream Show

Quinn07
Note: This thread is 2661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by jmanbooyaa

This show is terrible. This guy is just not a likeable guy. Clueless, and did anyone else hear him say he is not interested in changing careers? He has never had a career and is a complete clown who is getting hand out after hand out.

^^^^This. The guy is just not likable. BooHoo, you're dad left, so what! Your mom kissed your ass and gave you everything. What kills me is at the begining of the show when he says he's a "Fighter and a "Survivor" No you're not! As soon as things got bad, he gave up and the only time good things happen to him now is when other people step up and hand it to him.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I looked it up after the show and I couldn't find anything really. All I found was pipe dream show stuff on the internet.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

Yeah I googled him, can't find anything new.

Probably back at the shelter crying about something

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by HBKMensa

Hey he is not that bad - good show at least!

I don't even think the show was any good. happy I watched it all in a row and only wasted a couple hours rather than a couple months waiting each week for the show to air.

seemed like a good decision from the golf channel, but the results were bad.

golf is a lot like life. the more you enjoy it, the better off you are. a3_biggrin.gif

• 9 months later...

Here's an update on Mark Burk, from today's local paper:

Originally Posted by The Sacramento Bee:

A lesson somewhere

Mark Burk's stay in Northern California lasted less than a month. His stint at Home on the Range was shorter.

Burk, the homeless man with the pro golf aspirations documented last year on the Golf Channel reality series "Pipe Dream," has been booted from the Newcastle driving range by owner/operator Phil Green.

The departure came less than two weeks after Green provided Burk with a recreational vehicle in which to live and the chance to earn money giving lessons while pursuing another reality TV series – the Golf Channel didn't renew the series.

"He's the most ungracious homeless guy you could ever meet," Green said. "He feels entitled to having people take care of him. I tried to help him, but he didn't want to work. I told him, 'I have a 12-year-old daughter; I don't need a 54-year-old son.' "

Burk was planning to return to the Palm Springs area, where "Pipe Dream" was filmed, Green said. The Newcastle pro said he wishes Burk well, but the notion that Burk could be a touring golfer is unrealistic.

"He couldn't beat me in five rounds," Green said.

Bill

• Administrator

I think people had him pegged from the show pretty well. The "most ungracious homeless guy" comment seems perfectly correct.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Can't say I'm surprised. The show was both boring and painful.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I agree, not surprising.

In my opinion, it seems like the path Mark's life has taken over the years is somewhat deserved rather than just being "unlucky."

Deryck Griffith

Titleist 910 D3: 9.5deg GD Tour AD DI7x | Nike Dymo 3W: 15deg, UST S-flex | Mizuno MP CLK Hybrid: 20deg, Project X Tour Issue 6.5, HC1 Shaft | Mizuno MP-57 4-PW, DG X100 Shaft, 1deg upright | Cleveland CG15 Wedges: 52, 56, 60deg | Scotty Cameron California Del Mar | TaylorMade Penta, TP Black LDP, Nike 20XI-X

Far more interested in the fates of the Big Break contestants. Much more interesting show to watch as well. Too bad my wife throws up in her mouth everytime I watch golf or I'd probably watch Big Break weekly. A reality show for Golf Dorks, perfect, where do I sign up!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Deryck Griffith

I agree, not surprising.

In my opinion, it seems like the path Mark's life has taken over the years is somewhat deserved rather than just being "unlucky."

My sentiments exactly.

oh joy! looks like he is coming to my home course. Anything anyone want me to pass on to him?

from his website:

"Come see me play in the National Pro Tour "Ranking School" at Soboba Springs CC in San Jacento, CA on January 10th - 12th!"

Bag:ogio.gif SULTAN----titleist.gifDriver: 9.5* 909D Comp-----titleist.gif3W: 15* 909F3
titleist.gif5W: 18* 906F2----titleist.gifHybrid: 21* 909H----titleist.gifIrons: AP1's stiff
Wedges:vokey.gif 56*.14 & 60*.10----odyssey.gifPutter: White Hot XG 2-Ball Blade
golflogix.gif

Golf Channel was a bit unlucky with the show since Burk had the Hernia injury in the midst of it.  I think it could have turned out better if that did not happen.  I'd like to see more shows on developing golfers from GC.  The homeless ones are likely not the best prospects though.

What's in my bag:

Driver: Tour Burner 9.5
Fairway: Comp 15* Aldila NVS
Hybrids: 19* & 22*Irons: CG2 4-PWWedges: CG12 52*, 56*Putter: Studio Design Newport 1.5Ball: One BlackBag: GPS: SG3

Golf Channel severely underestimated public perception of this guy generated by his domestic and mental issues. Obviously someone didn't do their homework with this guy's past. It's too bad because they could have picked some regular joe who was in a position to make a run and documented his try at Monday qualifiers and mini-tour events. This would have given us our realistic look at someone who has yet to make it but is striving for his dreams.  The pipe in "Pipe Dreams" must have been a crack pipe.

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Big Tour 15.5*| Rad Tour 18.5*  | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Scotty Cameron Squareback No. 1 | Vice Pro Plus  

I started watching the show but after a few episodes it left me kinda cold. Especially after I saw this guy's swing & his competitive scores...which both sucked.

I mean, they say he's a "pro" trying to get his life together, but really he comes across more as some guy that used to play a little who lives on the streets. Shit, I know a dozen guys like that just here in Orlando.

Burk's story had everything television producers want in a reality show.  It was a rags to potential riches story about a homeless guy who's given a chance to make it rich on the Tour, you couldn't script the initial concept any better.  Unfortunately as TourSpoon pointed out, the producers didn't do all their homework.  Instead of a guy that was grateful for the opportunity he was rude and demanding.  They should have helped him with his hernia operation before they started filming as that derailed the initial focus of the show and forced the producers to make back stories the primaries.

The concept is interesting, I'd like to see them possibly take someone who didn't win the Big Break and are no longer pursuing golf as a career, like Albert from Trump National.  If there's another Mark Burk out there with a better disposition that would be interesting too.

Joe Paradiso

• 4 years later...

discovered "PIPE DREAM" the Golf Channel reality series via the Driver vs Driver thread

I'm personally fascinated with recovery stories (and golf). Maybe the show sucks but I did find that Golf Channel has them available here:

http://www.golfchannel.com/tv/pipe-dream

so I'll be watching and reviewing.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

Thanks @iacas for redirecting me to this more complete thread.

For anybody who cares (besides me?) some recent legal action.

http://caribbeanbusiness.com/homeless-golfer-burk-rejected-by-bayamon-to-teach-the-sport/

Also Mark Burk has a website. Not very good or up to date.

http://markburk.com/

I've read most of the posts in this thread. I guess the biggest surprise is what was Golf Channel thinking? I remember some guy they found begging several years back that was on the radio at one time doing voice-overs. He had a great voice and someone tried to bring him back. I don't think that worked either.

None the less I'm still interested in the Mark Burk story.

28 minutes ago, chilepepper said:

I think it's safe to say " all reality shows are scripted" 

I think it's not just a matter of putting together a script and following it. From what I've read they take lots of video and assemble it into a story line. In this case the base story was probably pre-existing.

Take something like Kardashians or Housewives on the other hand. I think hours of pure dribble become a completely manufactured story line.

Note: This thread is 2661 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!