IGNORED

Headcovers (Covers) For Irons

ChgMan
Note: This thread is 2741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

David in Fl, thanks for the welcome and sorry I'm on my phone right now and didn't see the search.

Jamo, thanks for merging my post into thus thread.

I think I'm going to follow my own thing and get covers for my irons and decide whether they're a hassle or not. I'm planning on updating my current old driver and fairway woods and will use head covers for them as well.. Just need to find something that matches my personality.

I use head covers for irons. Because my 2 year old AP2s still look brand new!

I have the Face Saver PLUS, they are very easy to remove and pop back on. Two iron covers are connected with a rubber type string, so when take them off, it dangles there for you until your ready to put them on again. It takes about 2 extra seconds after placing the club in the bag.

Here: http://www.amazon.com/Face-Saver-Black-Cover-10-piece/dp/B000R37Q02

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha 10.5* 

3WD:  Callaway Big Bertha 15* / X2 Hot H4 Hybrid
Irons:  Callaway Apex 4-PW Project X 5.5 shafts

Wedges: Callaway MackDaddy 2  52/58
Putter: Odyessey Metal X Milled 1

• 1 year later...

I hear folks talking on the Golf channel about placing head covers on irons.  Their comments seem to be derisive towards those that would use head covers for irons.

What gives? Am I misinterpreting what they are saying or is there some new fad to leave irons exposed?

I am getting back into golf after a 25 year absence and there have been a number of changes to the game, mostly involving equipment.  I have a new set of irons and I do want to protect them from damage.  Your thoughts please.

They don't do much for modern irons. What chatter there is from being loose in the bag nothing compared to how abrasive the ground is, bunkers and poor ground conditions etc. Years ago it was easier to put dings in irons made of softer materials but now golf clubs are pretty tough. I've been using the same irons for 3 years and I play roughly a hundred rounds a season and they still look pretty fresh.

But do what you like. I don't look at someone's gear and think ooh he's a iron cover user. I won't be looking at your equipment period.

Dave :-)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I use iron covers when my clubs are traveling.

Otherwise, these clubs are hitting the ground and blasted with sand, dirt, pebble, small stones - they get abused and dinged with regular use.

Iron covers will only protect from some cosmetic damage with normal care.

I do not trust airlines with normal care so I use covers on trips.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I hear folks talking on the Golf channel about placing head covers on irons.  Their comments seem to be derisive towards those that would use head covers for irons.

What gives? Am I misinterpreting what they are saying or is there some new fad to leave irons exposed?

I am getting back into golf after a 25 year absence and there have been a number of changes to the game, mostly involving equipment.  I have a new set of irons and I do want to protect them from damage.  Your thoughts please.

The little dings they get from bag clatter is not damage, it's wear and tear. Don't waste your time with those things since it's just one more thing to remember to do when taking out and putting back a club, your mind needs to be more focused on playing golf than worrying about little dings on your irons.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

The only thing I can think of, besides the uncool factor, is that they could trap moisture inside. Could speed up the rusting.

Yep .

Forgot about that, and I forget nothing. Unless you clean and dry, the rust man cometh, and he is not forgiving.

Even if you do not wet the club, the soil has moisture - disastrous I tell you. I like rust, love it, on my wedges. But otherwise, rust knows to leave me alone. Cover up your clubs and you get to rust that finish faster. A disaster I say, just like the Grand Slam of Golf.... You're fired! cancelled!

...Trumped.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I have a head cover for my driver and putter. So why would I not have head covers for my Irons that I paid more than I should have for. You can't have certain clubs being jealous of other clubs.

Because the headcovers, as others pointed out, don't do all that much. The shiny putter and driver have finishes that will scratch easier or softer materials that dent easily. They also aren't being constantly pounded into the dirt at high velocities.

Noticeable bag chatter is not something that will occur on most modern clubs, with the exception of Mizuno, Miura, or maybe some other "soft" irons that have a really bright chrome finish on them. That's all that iron headcovers could possible prevent, they can't do anything about the normal wear and tear.

Let's break it down here:

Pros:

- On certain irons prevents VERY minor cosmetic bag chatter (but not on all irons)

Cons:

- Can lead to rusting of irons if not careful

- Added expense (you have to buy the headcovers, do you not?)

- Easy to lose (they slip off so darn easy!)

- Makes you look like you bought your clubs yesterday and have never played golf before in your life

I bought some 588 hybrid irons with my GolfNow rewards last year. They came with head covers, nice ones not unlike what you'd see on fairways. First day I used the 4 iron I punched out under a tree and it put a ding in the sole about the size of a green pea from a rock I didn't see. Clubs are going to get beat up. I have custom wedges, raw finish, stamped, paint filled initials and all that jazz. From being used in bunkers they looks like I've been dragging them behind my car. The more rusty they get the cooler they look. Too bad they are about done after 200 rounds or so.

I only find a need to use them when traveling. OP - who cares what snide remarks they make on TV, or what any others may make about iron covers. If you want to use them, use them

I forgot....there is a bylaw that stipulates that if you use the iron head covers you must wear black dress socks with golf sandals. ;-)
  • Upvote 2

Colin P.

I only find a need to use them when traveling.

OP - who cares what snide remarks they make on TV, or what any others may make about iron covers. If you want to use them, use them

Yeah I certainly wouldn't give a shit what someone said on Golf Channel, especially if it was Morning Drive. I watched about 5 minutes of it today and actually felt myself getting irritated. I'd be surprised if some of those folks could even break 80 now, and they have A LOT of experience.

I use iron covers when my clubs are traveling.

A former small-college golfer told me the same thing. He would put on the iron covers before he handed them over to the equipment van or the airlines, and then remove them before he played.

After the tournament he would clean his irons, and put the covers back on before the trip home.

During a round, the only thing iron covers would do is contribute to slow play.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

A former small-college golfer told me the same thing. He would put on the iron covers before he handed them over to the equipment van or the airlines, and then remove them before he played.

After the tournament he would clean his irons, and put the covers back on before the trip home.

During a round, the only thing iron covers would do is contribute to slow play.

How do iron covers contribute to slow play? It takes me less than one second to take it off the club and maybe 2 seconds to put it back on.

Thanks for all the input.  Rust is a big concern for me as I golf in the Pacific Northwest, otherwise known as the rain forest.  My previous irons were stainless steel and I didn't have any problem with rust.  Based on what I'm hearing here I won't pay too much attention to the fashion police on the Golf Channel.

Iron head covers are GAY.

And that is all I have to say about that!

Haha

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Iron head covers are GAY.

Well great now I want to start using them...

Driver: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  15* 
S-Flex
Hybrids: Nike Vapor Speed 3-5 Steel Stiff
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 6-Pw Steel Stiff
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Satin Black; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Works 2-Ball
Grips: Good Grip Tour Wrap Medium 
Ball: ProV1

Note: This thread is 2741 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!