IGNORED

Mats vs. Grass at Practice Range

drocpdp
Note: This thread is 3266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

1. 1. Do you hit off the grass or mats when you go to the range?

• Always off the GRASS - I want realistic conditions
    • Always off the GRASS - This is all my range offers
    • Always off the MATS - It's cheaper
    • Always off the MATS - I like the feel of the mat
    • Always off the MATS - I don't want to clean my clubs when i'm done
    • Always off the MATS - This is all my range offers
    • I switch it up but mostly off the GRASS
    • I switch it up and it's 50/50
    • I switch it up but mostly off the MATS
    • It doesn't mater to me at all. I have no preference

The range I go to has mats for irons, and a smaller grass range for woods and hybrids. I split my time equally between the two, unless is is raining, then I'm stuck on the mats. If I could it would be grass all day, though. Mats are bad for forged clubs and an unrealistic feel for a real golf shot.

I don't mind mats. The range at my course is double ended -- (good) mats one end with proper target greens and lasered yardages from each station and then grass down the other side but nothing much to aim at. If I'm working on contact or trajectory etc. I'll go down the grass side. If I'm doing target practice or just working on a particular swing component/feeling, the mats are fine. In fact they let you cheat a bit, which I find is actually a confidence builder and doesn't seem to translate to bad habits out on the course.

• Upvote 1

Stretch.

"In the process of trial and error, our failed attempts are meant to destroy arrogance and provoke humility." -- Master Jin Kwon

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Prefer grass for obvious reasons, but it's not an absolute necessity.  Mats vary in quality, most aren't great but there are decent ones.  When I'm back in my hometown (San Diego) I like going to Stadium Golf and have no problem hitting off the mats there.  Here in Tucson it's grass 90-95% of the time.  I can hit off both though-don't agree with those who say they "can't" hit off mats or that it's entirely different than grass.  If you work on hitting the ball first it's not as if a different swing is required for mats v. grass.

Hitting off mats may not be as good as hitting off a good grass surface, but it's better than hitting off hard dirt and much better than not having access to anything at all. Raises hand.

Originally Posted by max power

Prefer grass for obvious reasons, but it's not an absolute necessity.  Mats vary in quality, most aren't great but there are decent ones.  When I'm back in my hometown (San Diego) I like going to Stadium Golf and have no problem hitting off the mats there.  Here in Tucson it's grass 90-95% of the time.  I can hit off both though-don't agree with those who say they "can't" hit off mats or that it's entirely different than grass.  If you work on hitting the ball first it's not as if a different swing is required for mats v. grass.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

Hitting off mats may not be as good as hitting off a good grass surface, but it's better than hitting off hard dirt and much better than not having access to anything at all. Raises hand.

Sean, do you go to any particular range in Calgary? I like the one on Glenmore in summer ( it has grass )....but now in winter I go to the indoor one off Macleod Trail

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

During the Northeast golf season, when my club is open, all range practice is done off natural grass.  This is my preference given that it mimics actually play (divots,...).

Winter season, for obvious reasons, it's off mats (and, hopefully, either indoors or at a heated range).

Originally Posted by Kieran123

Sean, do you go to any particular range in Calgary? I like the one on Glenmore in summer ( it has grass )....but now in winter I go to the indoor one off Macleod Trail

If you have a recommendation, I'm all ears!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I only go to the range when I'm desperate, and I only go when the grass area is open.  I won't hit from mats, ever.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I'd prefer to hit off grass, but all my range has is mats. There's a course not too far (20-30min depending on traffic) with a grass range but it's more expensive so I don't normally go there.

I always hit off grass and don't use practice ranges that have mats.  But upon occasion I play courses that have mats.  If they are the mats with a quarter inch of rubber between the club and concrete, I just won't warm up.  These are just to hard on the equipment.  But there are mats that are more like artificial grass (as opposed to carpet over concrete) and while not my first choice I'll use them to warm up.  But I won't practice there.

Butch

i picked that i like to switch it up but mostly grass...only b/c in the winter there's no grass so, mats are the best choice since concrete is rough on the irons and doesn't hold tees well. when it's green tho, it's grass only.

In my Titleist 2014 9.5" Staff bag:

Cobra Bio+ 9* Matrix White Tie X  - Taylormade SLDR 15* ATTAS 80X - Titleist 910H 19* ATTAS 100X - Taylormade '13 TP MC 4-PW PX 6.5 - Vokey TVD M 50* DG TI X100 - Vokey SM4 55 / Vokey SM5 60* DG TI S400 - Piretti Potenza II 365g

So many of you guys are so spoiled. On long island, there is no public range that even has the option of grass; only way out east which would be about a two hour drive from where I live. Some places are better than others, but I make due no matter what.

l Bag l TaylorMade Stand Bag

l Driver l TaylorMade '07 Burner 9.5* l 3-Wood l Titleist 910F 15* (D1 shaft setting)

l Hybrids l TaylorMade '07 Burner 19* : TaylorMade '10 Rescue 22*

l Irons l TaylorMade r7 5-PW l Wedges l Titleist Bob Vokey 52* 56* 60*

l Putter l Scotty Cameron California Del Mar 34" l Balls l TaylorMade Penta TP

How about neither? I tend to do allot of practice out on the course, I am a member of a course so it the same price if I play all the time or none of the time, so I tend to grab all my found ball and practice out on the course. I know when it empty so you can get out and hit all sorts of shots, in 2 hours I can play 9 and hit around 100 shots I figure (not incl putts) It great to hit off grass, still walk a bit and work on different lies and mix up shots.

When I do range time it 90% of matts, not what I would like but the grass tee is only open for tournaments and I can't justify paying more money to practice somewhere other then the club I am already paying for.

Driver R7 Superquad NV 55 shaft or Bridgestone J33 460 NV 75 shaft
3 and 5 Wood X
Hybrid original Fli Hi 21* or FT 22*
Irons AP2
Wedges Vokey 52* - 8 , 56* 14, 60*-7Putter California CoranodoBall TP RedGPS NeoRange Finder- Bushnell Tour V2 When Chuck Norris puts spin on the ball, the ball does not...

Originally Posted by 2bGood

How about neither? I tend to do allot of practice out on the course, I am a member of a course so it the same price if I play all the time or none of the time, so I tend to grab all my found ball and practice out on the course. I know when it empty so you can get out and hit all sorts of shots, in 2 hours I can play 9 and hit around 100 shots I figure (not incl putts) It great to hit off grass, still walk a bit and work on different lies and mix up shots.

Most good courses have a rule against "practice" on the course. If everyone did that, there wouldn't be any grass left.

So many of you guys are so spoiled. On long island, there is no public range that even has the option of grass; only way out east which would be about a two hour drive from where I live. Some places are better than others, but I make due no matter what.

Hamlet Windwatch is off exit 55 or around there. It's 45-60 minutes from the Queens/LI border. Pine Ridge is about 20 minutes further ouT. Both have decent grass ranges, Windwatch is much more corporate.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Originally Posted by Texian

Most good courses have a rule against "practice" on the course. If everyone did that, there wouldn't be any grass left.

This winter I've been playing solo practice rounds. Hit a drive then walk into the fairway and hit a long iron, mid-iron, and short iron (one of which is the ball I hit off the tee), a pitch, and a longish chip, into the green. Putt out the five balls, and off to the next hole. This wears on the course less than a foursome passing through.

I get there when the course opens. No one else wants to play when it's that cold, so I'm never rushed.

Note: This thread is 3266 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!