IGNORED

AimPoint Green Reading

Guy on the online broadcast of the Player's Championship talking about putting.

"Putting is 90% pace"

"Some of these guys with Aimpoint get so stuck on the line they forget about the pace"

Putting is pretty much 50% line, 50% pace in my opinion. The faster the putt the less amount of the hole you have for the ball to go in. Also, if you read to little break you might be more likely to hit it to hard. With to much break you might end up hitting it to soft. The two are intertwined.

On the 2nd quote. I find that Aimpoint frees you up to just worry about the pace because in your mind you know that there is science and truth behind the green reading. It is a very accurate technique.

To the announcer, try out Aimpoint and see how it works for you, thanks! :-D

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Turns out that line of thinking is incorrect. The slope matters the whole time.

Imagine a 50 foot putt. 3%/90 degrees left the first 25 feet and same but right second half. What's the aim? Dead straight.

Anyway…

Is that a simplification to show that they both matter, or are the actually both equally important?

"Putting is 90% pace"

"Some of these guys with Aimpoint get so stuck on the line they forget about the pace"

Putting is pretty much 50% line, 50% pace in my opinion. The faster the putt the less amount of the hole you have for the ball to go in. Also, if you read to little break you might be more likely to hit it to hard. With to much break you might end up hitting it to soft. The two are intertwined.

On the 2nd quote. I find that Aimpoint frees you up to just worry about the pace because in your mind you know that there is science and truth behind the green reading. It is a very accurate technique.

To the announcer, try out Aimpoint and see how it works for you, thanks!

With respect to the speed vs line...I tend to think speed is more important, but certainly not 90/10.  On a reasonably good read and putt, its probably 50/50, but its a lot easier to knock it 5 feet past than it is to knock it 5 feet to the right, isn't it?

I completely agree regarding the second part though.  The confidence I have in the read lets me forget about the line after I set up.  I focus completely on center contact and speed.

Dan

:tmade: R11s 10.5*, Adila RIP Phenom 60g Stiff
:ping: G20 3W
:callaway: Diablo 3H
:ping:
i20 4-U, KBS Tour Stiff
:vokey: Vokey SM4 54.14 
:vokey: Vokey :) 58.11

:scotty_cameron: Newport 2
:sunmountain: Four 5

"Putting is 90% pace"

To the announcer, try out Aimpoint and see how it works for you, thanks!

With respect to the speed vs line...I tend to think speed is more important, but certainly not 90/10.  On a reasonably good read and putt, its probably 50/50, but its a lot easier to knock it 5 feet past than it is to knock it 5 feet to the right, isn't it?

I completely agree regarding the second part though.  The confidence I have in the read lets me forget about the line after I set up.  I focus completely on center contact and speed.

It's probably not 90/10, but it's DEFINITELY not 50/50.  He's generalizing, right?  So, he's talking about all putts combined?  We can kind of quantify this, then, can't we?  A good putter has, what, 28 or so putts per round?  On average, how many of those are 2' or shorter tap ins?  8, maybe?  So those just don't even matter because they are complete gimmes.  That leaves 20.  Everything 8' or so and in I would agree are 50/50, and everything beyond, say, 20, I would be OK with calling 90/10.  The ones between 8 and 20, you're not likely to make, but you can/will make some, so line is important, but still not as important as speed.  Like @dsc123 said - how many 3 putts are caused because you miss the first one sideways vs. missing short or long?  5%.  10% at most?

So maybe the 8-20 putts are 67/33 speed to line.  If you break it down really simply and assume an equal number of each group of putts, then that means we can just add the numbers, and it leaves us with 207/93 or 69% speed to 31% LINE.

Obviously, these numbers are pulled from my butt :-P , and I'm having a little fun with it, but I don't think I'm too far off here. :beer:

• Administrator

I think a six-footer is more dependent on line than speed, particularly if there's little break to it.

Outside of 20 feet, distance matters significantly more than being super precise with the line.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I was taught that every read is based on the assumption that the ball would end up 1 foot beyond the hole.........doesn't that make speed the fundamental base of the system....is this wrong?

eric, of course, has it right on short putts .....but if you get a 3/4/5 at 6 feet, then speed is more of an issue

"Getting paired with you is the equivalent to a two-stroke penalty to your playing competitors"  -- Sean O'Hair to Rory Sabbatini (Zurich Classic, 2011)

I was taught that every read is based on the assumption that the ball would end up 1 foot beyond the hole.........doesn't that make speed the fundamental base of the system....is this wrong?

eric, of course, has it right on short putts .....but if you get a 3/4/5 at 6 feet, then speed is more of an issue

Speed is fundamental in all systems not just AimPoint.  How can it not be?  AimPoint is based on about 8 inches past the hole IIRC.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• Administrator

Speed is fundamental in all systems not just AimPoint.  How can it not be?  AimPoint is based on about 8 inches past the hole IIRC.

We tell people a foot. It used to be 6" to 12" but that's on stimp 8 greens.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Annnouncers ... talking about AimPoint.

Wonder if they've taken a class...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

[URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/45791/aimpoint-green-reading/450#post_1114811]http://thesandtrap.com/t/45791/aimpoint-green-reading/450#post_1114811[/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/45791/aimpoint-green-reading/450#post_1117422]http://thesandtrap.com/t/45791/aimpoint-green-reading/450#post_1117422[/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/45791/aimpoint-green-reading/468#post_1120546]http://thesandtrap.com/t/45791/aimpoint-green-reading/468#post_1120546[/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/45791/aimpoint-green-reading/486#post_1121300]http://thesandtrap.com/t/45791/aimpoint-green-reading/486#post_1121300[/URL] [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/t/45791/aimpoint-green-reading/468#post_1120922]http://thesandtrap.com/t/45791/aimpoint-green-reading/468#post_1120922[/URL]

Lol. Thanks @mvmac I have been out of the loop lately!

- Jered

I used Aimpoint Exp 1 for today's round.   At the end of the day, I did 32 putts total with one 3 putt.   If Aimpoint was effective, it didn't show up in the stat as my usual total putt is around 32 (32 this month, 31 last month, 33 the month before that).  Simple majority of my putts missed left of my target line, something my new Edel putter will help fix.   I am looking forward to more rounds with Aimpoint and new Edel putter which arrives next week.   I am hoping my total putt stat to go below 30/round with Aimpoint & Edel putter combo.

For me (YMMV), I agree with pace being 90% of importance.   When I three putt (once or twice per round), it is always because I misjudged the pace.   With or without Aimpoint, I think my putts don't go too far to left or right.  Most of the times, I am in tap in range after the 1st putt.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I used Aimpoint Exp 1 for today's round.   At the end of the day, I did 32 putts total with one 3 putt.   If Aimpoint was effective, it didn't show up in the stat as my usual total putt is around 32 (32 this month, 31 last month, 33 the month before that).  Simple majority of my putts missed left of my target line, something my new Edel putter will help fix.   I am looking forward to more rounds with Aimpoint and new Edel putter which arrives next week.   I am hoping my total putt stat to go below 30/round with Aimpoint & Edel putter combo.

For me (YMMV), I agree with pace being 90% of importance.   When I three putt (once or twice per round), it is always because I misjudged the pace.   With or without Aimpoint, I think my putts don't go too far to left or right.  Most of the times, I am in tap in range after the 1st putt.

So... were your issues speed or Express?

And it's the first time ...

And it will be the first time when you introduce the new putter.

Give yourself 2-3 weeks to adjust after the new putter arrives.

At the same time, your approaches and chips/pitches will determine if you have makable putts. But you knew that...

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

So... were your issues speed or Express?

Neither.   I had my usual putting round, no better or worse.   I can't really say if Aimpoint helped or not.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Quote:

Originally Posted by boogielicious

We tell people a foot. It used to be 6" to 12" but that's on stimp 8 greens.

Thanks for the update.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I had a funny occurrence Friday.  I was using mid-point the whole round.  My buddy knew it, but the two guys we played with did not.  They never noticed. Then late in the round, after doing my midpoint read, I did an Express read.  When I held up my fingers, one guy noticed and made a fun comment.  So I guess another advantage of the Midpoint Method is they don't know you are using it! :beer:

BTW, I made a 40 foot putt for par on a 3%, 15 deg down green that was running about a 10.

Scott

My Swing Thread

Just booked onto an Aimpoint clinic in a fortnight's time. Much like with my pitching, which has come on leaps and bounds since one lesson recently, I'm mostly looking forward to having a system that I can put my faith in than anything else. Don't mind if it's occasionally off, but at the moment I feel I'm stabbing in the dark with the putter!

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

Interesting tweet from Aimpoint Instructor.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Interesting tweet from Aimpoint Instructor.

a. Using your feet?

b. Pedal on the green?

c. Both?

After watching part of the Players, and seeing these guys plumb bob (Rickie) and only using their eyes, talking about the grain, etc. it seems as if they could go lower if they knew how to use their feet (AimPoint).

Does it perturb anyone else when announcers talk about mountains, ocean and rivers, and their magnetic effect on putts?

a. Using your feet?

b. Pedal on the green?

c. Both?

After watching part of the Players, and seeing these guys plumb bob (Rickie) and only using their eyes, talking about the grain, etc. it seems as if they could go lower if they knew how to use their feet (AimPoint).

Does it perturb anyone else when announcers talk about mountains, ocean and rivers, and their magnetic effect on putts?

Ricky got lucky there on 18 to actually see nearly the exact same putt as his. No one was giving that pin location enough break from left to right at the end.

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping: