IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm not going to add to the pile on here. He's not getting any instruction based on what info he's provided, He was severely handicapped by a false start, and hasn't really gotten really good, long term instruction, so slow progress is expected. If I were to "pile on", it's lack of details on figuring out his swing and that's pretty much been mentioned by me and others.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

At least for me this year my cobwebs were gone after three rounds. Strangely enough the things that I usually have most trouble with after a break, chipping and putting, have been the quickest to return and I'm putting better now than I was all last year.

This is pretty much what I noticed. These skills are the first ones to go when I'm tired too. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

He's regressing

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Here's the SW piece. You'll have to read backwards, from bottom to top. Only read a couple of paragraphs so far.

Source: http://paceco.imirus.com/Mpowered/book/vpco15/i4/p70

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Here's the SW piece. You'll have to read backwards, from bottom to top. Only read a couple of paragraphs so far.

Source: http://paceco.imirus.com/Mpowered/book/vpco15/i4/p70

Thanks for posting. Got to say there's not a great deal new in it, is there? Looking forward to reading TST interview that was mentioned a while back. Is that still on the cards? Not seen anything yet but might be looking in the wrong place........

Unlike some I have no problem with Dan at all. Don't mind the guy, like the way he stays positive, don't think he's being dishonest, and it doesn't bother me if he's not exactly going about his plan how I would (or am). The one thing I totally don't get is that every article you read talks about "inspiring" and being "inspirational".

The Dan Plan states it's " An experiment in potential and possibilities" and that "Dan hopes to prove to himself and others that it’s never too late to start a new pursuit in life". For me, the bottom line is that the only way for a plan like this to be "inspirational" is if he succeeds. An experiment that proves that your possibilities are limited, as is your potential, and that it is in fact sometimes too late to start a new pursuit in life is just not inspirational.

Bottom line is the only thing that would be inspirational would be to succeed. Anyone can try and come up short.

Pete Iveson

Latest score is a 82 for a 9.4 differential on an away course. If you calculated his GHIN today it would be 7.0.

The frustration I feel is that he has identified some of his own shortcomings -- for example lack of strength and too flat on the back swing -- but then does not report on what he is doing to address these things.  The implication is that he is doing nothing about them.  And they are both relatively easy to attack, even without coaching.  As to lack of strength, get on a very basic strength progression focusing on the big 5 lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, press, row/pull up).  And he can set up his phone to record his swing and see if he is swinging too flat and picking the club up too quickly.

He seems to have given up on the actual task and, instead, is playing out the string.  If he is working "deliberately" on things -- he is not reporting it.

I never for a moment believed he had a prayer at the tour.   Not even the Web.com tour.  But I was truly interested in how someone would do if he or she truly applied him or herself to this task.  I figured scratch or +1 might be possible.  But his approach in the last year does not even address the question of what would be possible with concerted effort.

Except for a blip in April of 2013, his handicap was last over 7 in the summer of 2012.

Thanks for posting. Got to say there's not a great deal new in it, is there? Looking forward to reading TST interview that was mentioned a while back. Is that still on the cards? Not seen anything yet but might be looking in the wrong place........

Putting the finishing touches on it now.

Michael

When I leave for home in the next few weeks I may try and meet him if I have the time, I did bring my clubs. I haven't played a single round for 2 months because of work. Probably get spanked. :-P

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

Putting the finishing touches on it now.

Great. Look forward to reading it :)

Latest score is a 82 for a 9.4 differential on an away course. If you calculated his GHIN today it would be 7.0.

The frustration I feel is that he has identified some of his own shortcomings -- for example lack of strength and too flat on the back swing -- but then does not report on what he is doing to address these things.  The implication is that he is doing nothing about them.  And they are both relatively easy to attack, even without coaching.  As to lack of strength, get on a very basic strength progression focusing on the big 5 lifts (bench, squat, deadlift, press, row/pull up).  And he can set up his phone to record his swing and see if he is swinging too flat and picking the club up too quickly.

He seems to have given up on the actual task and, instead, is playing out the string.  If he is working "deliberately" on things -- he is not reporting it.

I never for a moment believed he had a prayer at the tour.   Not even the Web.com tour.   I figured scratch or +1 might be possible.  But his approach in the last year does not even address the question of what would be possible with concerted effort. But I was truly interested in how someone would do if he or she truly applied him or herself to this task.

Except for a blip in April of 2013, his handicap was last over 7 in the summer of 2012.

Regarding the length off the tee thing, maybe he has but the potential just isn't there. I don't follow the mini tours out there but on the the PGA tour or any Pro tour here length off the tee is a perquisite. People can point to the very occasional short hitter that makes it at that level like Cory Pavin but unless you have an unbelievable game with both your long irons and around the green you can forget it if you can't get the ball out there. When I started, a decent drive carried about 240, that frankly wasn't close to good enough. A programme of core strength and stability along with a  low weight / high rep weight training programme has a big hit carrying between 280 and 290 yards in still air (real, not 'internet' yards :) ) I practically never need that sort of length on the courses I'm currently playing right now, I just 'dink' it down the fairway, but as I progress I will and so I'm working on it now. Maybe I'll post something up about it on my thread.

The point is you identify where your game is and where it needs to go, you look at every aspect of it. You then work out how to get from one to the other and do it. It's not always fun but if you ignore things like length off the tee you're going to struggle to progress.

Regarding the second bit in bold, I'll let you know in a few years :)

Pete Iveson

That article's just a bit sad and forlorn really. I hope he takes up Erik's offer otherwise it seems everything has just stalled. Also, I'm not sold on the book as a great possibility given that he has written everything on his blog for nothing...

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

That article's just a bit sad and forlorn really. I hope he takes up Erik's offer otherwise it seems everything has just stalled. Also, I'm not sold on the book as a great possibility given that he has written everything on his blog for nothing...

I still say you actually have to achieve the aim (or close to it) to make a book worth reading. A book about conquering Everest by a guy who didn't manage to climb the thing, or at least make it past half way up, is a tad pointless.

I still say he could turn things around and get considerably further than he is now. But he needs to go about what he's doing in a different way.

Pete Iveson

Quote:

Originally Posted by b101

I still say you actually have to achieve the aim (or close to it) to make a book worth reading. A book about conquering Everest by a guy who didn't manage to climb the thing, or at least make it past half way up, is a tad pointless.

I still say he could turn things around and get considerably further than he is now. But he needs to go about what he's doing in a different way.

It's complicated. Imho, I think if Dan Plan really figured out improved methods of practicing or even wrote out in a very readable style, current deliberate golf techniques and he didn't achieve his goal, but say got to scratch, there would be worth something to write about. As Epstein said in the above article, it's one sample point. Means nothing towards validating a theory and this inspirational theme - well, there's lots of inspiration from a wealth of other sources. My endgame for the Dan Plan when it started was something like he got to scratch after 3-4 years, learned a lot of useful and helpful stuff about learning golf and wrote about that.

Write sort of a specific deliberate practice techniques talent code for golf. And also in depth about the journey of learning, list all the schools of thought - Kelley, MORAD, SnT and help guide the beginner to not make the very mistakes many have made, presently make and will continue to make. I think that's a worthwhile read because it will save some of those who read it, time, money and grief. If you really think about his plan, is it all that inspirational? He achieved a lot given where he started, it's far far from a trivial task, but no one has the means to quit their job and devote all their time to their passion.

Take someone like Nick Chertock, who has a full time job and kids and is at about the same place as Dan Plan golf skills wise I think, but also organized the open forums, giving golfers more access to instructors and info.

Steve

I hope he takes up Erik's offer otherwise it seems everything has just stalled.

He needs to see it and understand it first. Does he even know?

I'm not familiar with Dan's whole story. If he's single and his only job is blogging and trying to get better at golf...why would he not take that deal?

Especially after reading Lowest Score Wins.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Quote:

I hope he takes up Erik's offer otherwise it seems everything has just stalled.

He needs to see it and understand it first. Does he even know?

I'm not familiar with Dan's whole story. If he's single and his only job is blogging and trying to get better at golf...why would he not take that deal?

Especially after reading Lowest Score Wins.

Before the offer, like 3-4 years ago, why didn't he try online lessons/Skype? The video tech was there. I did a quick search on his site and didn't find anything maybe someone else knows. It makes sense given limited funds, can't travel. Online lessons give you the opportunity to "audit" many instructors.

Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nosevi

Quote:

It's complicated. Imho, I think if Dan Plan really figured out improved methods of practicing or even wrote out in a very readable style, current deliberate golf techniques and he didn't achieve his goal, but say got to scratch, there would be worth something to write about. As Epstein said in the above article, it's one sample point. Means nothing towards validating a theory and this inspirational theme - well, there's lots of inspiration from a wealth of other sources. My endgame for the Dan Plan when it started was something like he got to scratch after 3-4 years, learned a lot of useful and helpful stuff about learning golf and wrote about that.

Write sort of a specific deliberate practice techniques talent code for golf. And also in depth about the journey of learning, list all the schools of thought - Kelley, MORAD, SnT and help guide the beginner to not make the very mistakes many have made, presently make and will continue to make. I think that's a worthwhile read because it will save some of those who read it, time, money and grief. If you really think about his plan, is it all that inspirational? He achieved a lot given where he started, it's far far from a trivial task, but no one has the means to quit their job and devote all their time to their passion.

Take someone like Nick Chertock, who has a full time job and kids and is at about the same place as Dan Plan golf skills wise I think, but also organized the open forums, giving golfers more access to instructors and info.

I agree it's more complicated than "if he fails to get on the PGA tour he's failed so it was pointless" hence my comment about making more than half way up that particular mountain. But for a book about how to go about getting really good at golf using certain techniques or a given theory to be worthwhile the guy writing it, or at the very least someone else, actually needs to get really good at golf having used those techniques. If he doesn't surely it's just a book that says "This is how to get really good. I did it. It didn't work." Why would anyone buy that with a view to improving their own game?

I personally think making it to mini tour level and having a blast while doing it would be a huge success by any measure. I can't see any reason why Dan couldn't do this, only that he isn't doing it or trending towards it at this precise moment in time. If he goes no further I'm not sure how the way in which he's gone about it could be sold as a 'blue-print' for becoming great at golf but if he turns it round (and like I keep saying he might do and I hope he does..... if only to see Shorty's reaction :) ) then I agree that it could be.

Pete Iveson

• Administrator

Before the offer, like 3-4 years ago, why didn't he try online lessons/Skype? The video tech was there. I did a quick search on his site and didn't find anything maybe someone else knows. It makes sense given limited funds, can't travel. Online lessons give you the opportunity to "audit" many instructors.

That's not realistic. He wouldn't know what he was looking for. He was new to golf. He hit one-foot putts for hours and hours and hours.

Now, sure, maybe. Then? No way.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

That's not realistic. He wouldn't know what he was looking for. He was new to golf. He hit one-foot putts for hours and hours and hours.

Now, sure, maybe. Then? No way.

I'm surprised he didn't find this forum within 6 months of starting. As someone that didn't and still doesn't have very much money to spend on instruction, this site came up almost immediately in all of the questions I wanted answered roughly 2 years ago. If I had the amount of play time he does and this forum alone, I'm positive I'd be single digit by now, and had he found you guys years ago...I'm positive he'd be scratch by now.

I hope he sees your offer.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

• Administrator

I'm surprised he didn't find this forum within 6 months of starting. As someone that didn't and still doesn't have very much money to spend on instruction, this site came up almost immediately in all of the questions I wanted answered roughly 2 years ago. If I had the amount of play time he does and this forum alone, I'm positive I'd be single digit by now, and had he found you guys years ago...I'm positive he'd be scratch by now.

I hope he sees your offer.

If he can't afford to fix the brakes on his car, I don't know how likely he is to want to move to Erie, PA and pay rent - even a few hundred dollars per month of rent - to take advantage of the free instruction.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2417 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!