IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

I disagree with the $500/month wasted.

At least where I live full memberships to nice public courses cost around $3,000 per year for unlimited range balls and golf. This means an average of only $250 a month, which would leave Dan with $250 a month for lessons at least, and the membership I believe includes access to all three city courses with their different layouts. Dan is throwing money into the wind if he thinks that joining a higher priced private club will make him golf better, but I suppose to each his own...

Put into perspective, I suppose you're right.

$6000/year for a private club is not that bad, though. There is a nearby private club with a $64,000 initiation fee (and you need a personal reference from someone famous), then $22,000 yearly maintenance fees plus a minimum food purchase. Ironically, this is the less expensive private club. At the more expensive one near me, the golfers pay the caddies $180 per loop plus all the other listed fees which could be double or triple the one I mentioned above (It's so expensive that I have no idea?).

So, $6000 seems reasonable for a private club, but you are correct that $3000 probably makes a lot more sense for someone in his position.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Put into perspective, I suppose you're right.

$6000/year for a private club is not that bad, though. There is a nearby private club with a $64,000 initiation fee (and you need a personal reference from someone famous), then $22,000 yearly maintenance fees plus a minimum food purchase. Ironically, this is the less expensive private club. At the more expensive one near me, the golfers pay the caddies $180 per loop plus all the other listed fees which could be double or triple the one I mentioned above (It's so expensive that I have no idea?).

So, $6000 seems reasonable for a private club, but you are correct that $3000 probably makes a lot more sense for someone in his position.

That's what I meant in an earlier post, he could probably get a full membership at a nice public facility with unlimited golf and range balls with $250 left over for instruction.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

So true.

I disagree with the $500/month wasted. You're right that his golf is not all that great, but he is attending many charitable events and such. His golf PR engine is running full bore. Just too bad his game is not better. . .

I think one has something to do with the other.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Very interesting.  I remember reading about this guy a few years ago and seems he was already a 5 or better back then, not much improvement?  I agree with flopster, I'd save my money and go fly and meet a real instructor 4 times a year at least, and continue with video lessons each week after that.

In my bag

Driver:      SLDR 10.5*

Hybrids:   Taylormade RBZ Stage 2

Irons:       NikeVR PRO 4-PW

Wedges:   Nike VR Pro 50* 54* 58*

Putter:      2014 Newport 2

Ball:          E6

• Administrator
Very interesting.  I remember reading about this guy a few years ago and seems he was already a 5 or better back then, not much improvement?

You remember incorrectly. :-) There are images in this thread that show his handicap and scoring trends.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

You remember incorrectly.

There are images in this thread that show his handicap and scoring trends.

Ya just saw it.   Pretty close to a 5 in 2013.

What do you think Erik?  Do you think if this guy came to see you every few months for 2 years he'd drop more than a few strokes? From what you know about him.

In my bag

• Administrator

Ya just saw it.   Pretty close to a 5 in 2013.

Yeah, you're right: it's really flattened out. He was about a 6 late in 2013. Guess I was the one with the cruddy memory! Sorry. (Though it was late 2013, and it's still early 2015 :D).

What do you think Erik?  Do you think if this guy came to see you every few months for 2 years he'd drop more than a few strokes? From what you know about him.

I think his ceiling is scratch, and I made the offer I made to him that I made because I think I could get him awfully close to that after the two months I offered to spend with him sunk in a bit (i.e. he'd learn a lot in the two months, and then a bit later it'd actually be "learned" and he could do it subconsciously).

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah, you're right: it's really flattened out. He was about a 6 late in 2013. Guess I was the one with the cruddy memory! Sorry. (Though it was late 2013, and it's still early 2015 :D).

I think his ceiling is scratch, and I made the offer I made to him that I made because I think I could get him awfully close to that after the two months I offered to spend with him sunk in a bit (i.e. he'd learn a lot in the two months, and then a bit later it'd actually be "learned" and he could do it subconsciously).

What do you think prevents his ceiling from being better than scratch?

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Very interesting.  I wonder if the guy is just going around as a publicity stunt at this point. To be stuck as a 6 for this long when all you think about is golf, would be disappointing.

In my bag

• Administrator

What do you think prevents his ceiling from being better than scratch?

I don't think he has the talent.

Now, that's based on… what very little I've seen of him. I was looking forward to, if he took the offer, getting a better idea of what base talent level he has.

At least where I live full memberships to nice public courses cost around $3,000 per year for unlimited range balls and golf. This means an average of only $250 a month, which would leave Dan with $250 a month for lessons at least, and the membership I believe includes access to all three city courses with their different layouts. Dan is throwing money into the wind if he thinks that joining a higher priced private club will make him golf better, but I suppose to each his own...

Is this in Denver?

If your swinging the club properly chances are you will not get injured, Dan does not swing the club very well along proper techniques and therefore leaves himself vulnerable to injury, not having a very high level of talent/athletic coordination  will only slow you down from reaching a more sound technique the last videos I saw of him he's still picking the club up and his footwork is horrendous, someone said he's spending $500 a month on membership at some private club? What a complete waste, he obviously has not learned very much over the time he has spent.

This is not true really. Even the smoothest most athletic golf swing puts tremendous strain on certain joints and muscles. There are thousands of outstanding golfers who have picked up serious injuries while having great, smooth swings.

Recently, I injured my right shoulder picking up a glass of water on my night stand. I just picked it up wrong. Bad me. Rotator cuff injury. It sucks. Also another time I tore the lateral meniscus in my right knee while vacuuming my living room. Injuries can happen not having anything to do with the sport you're engaged in.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Recently, I injured my right shoulder picking up a glass of water on my night stand. I just picked it up wrong. Bad me. Rotator cuff injury. It sucks. Also another time I tore the lateral meniscus in my right knee while vacuuming my living room. Injuries can happen not having anything to do with the sport you're engaged in.

I remember spraining my back a couple decades ago adjusting the position of some water bottles in my garage. 2 weeks earlier I took a 75 foot fall (150 total feet below the gear that zippered out) on Washington Column (Forgot the 5.10 A2 name of the climb?) in Yosemite without any issues. Funny how that happens. . .

Just told everyone I took a fall in Yosemite. :whistle:

Back on topic. Dan might get to a 2-3 handicap again? I agree that he does not appear to have the talent to get much better than that. The vast majority of the scratch players I know are much larger, not necessarily in height but in musculature. They look a lot stronger than Dan.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Back on topic. Dan might get to a 2-3 handicap again? I agree that he does not appear to have the talent to get much better than that. The vast majority of the scratch players I know are much larger, not necessarily in height but in musculature. They look a lot stronger than Dan.

You've said this many times before. We got the point! :-D

Rickie Fowler, Charles Howell III, Luke Donald.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrvFrShow

I remember spraining my back a couple decades ago adjusting the position of some water bottles in my garage. 2 weeks earlier I took a 75 foot fall (150 total feet below the gear that zippered out) on Washington Column (Forgot the 5.10 A2 name of the climb?) in Yosemite without any issues. Funny how that happens. . .

Just told everyone I took a fall in Yosemite.

You've said this many times before. We got the point!

Rickie Fowler, Charles Howell III, Luke Donald.

The exceptions, but not the rule. You also forgot Rory . :-)

EDIT: Wait. . ., how is Charles Howell III in that list?

EDIT EDIT: These are not small players the only exception might be Ricky, who I predict will be over 200 pounds by the time he's 40 years old. . .

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

This is not true really. Even the smoothest most athletic golf swing puts tremendous strain on certain joints and muscles. There are thousands of outstanding golfers who have picked up serious injuries while having great, smooth swings.

I'll agree that there are some with proficient swings that still get hurt, do something long enough it's bound to find something to hurt and that's probably the case, obviously a lot of players with good fundamentals have put in the time to get there, a more recreational player swinging the club closer to right versus wrong IMO will definitely hurt himself less frequent.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Note: This thread is 2413 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!