IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1890#post_1068152"]   You know, with all the good suggestions spread over these hundred pages or so we potentially have enough material for a " What Dan should have planned plan ". I nominate @nevets88 to start that thread. :beer: [/QUOTE] Or we could call it Dan Plan 2.0 and nominate someone to do it, if anyone was willing.

I could write a book... wait! Someone already did. You know what I'd put in this thread? A big honking footnote that references LSW.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I have to admit. . .

http://thedanplan.com/switzerlandsweden-trip-part-one/

http://thedanplan.com/sweden-and-switzerland-part-2/

. . .he does have fun!

"Spielt er 2018 gegen Tiger Woods".

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

From the latest blog post. Can't find a sponsor other than equipment. And he's a little frustrated.

I thought the goal was to prove a hypothesis.

The ultimate goal with all of that is to eat and create better content that helps share the story and inspire.  Raising money is part of the process and from what I have seen thus far is one of the most time consuming parts of the project.

Perhaps it’s time to start looking outside of the golfing world.  Not sure, but I’ll give it a couple more months of trying to find a partner within golf and then venture on, it’s the healthy thing to do for my own sanity.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

From the latest blog post. Can't find a sponsor other than equipment. And he's a little frustrated.

LOL He can't find sponsors and can't figure out why? It's because he's not worth marketing. He's a novelty. The William Hung of golf. He apparently has an overinflated opinion of himself on more than just his golf skills. I'd forget he even existed at all if it wasn't for this thread.

• Upvote 1

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevets88

LOL

He can't find sponsors and can't figure out why? It's because he's not worth marketing. He's a novelty. The William Hung of golf. He apparently has an overinflated opinion of himself on more than just his golf skills.

I'd forget he even existed at all if it wasn't for this thread.

Wait, did I say I was gonna stay away from this thread? FFFF******#####&&&&& !!!!!! :doh:

Steve

LOL He can't find sponsors and can't figure out why? It's because he's not worth marketing. He's a novelty. The William Hung of golf. He apparently has an overinflated opinion of himself on more than just his golf skills. I'd forget he even existed at all if it wasn't for this thread.

Like most marketing people. . . [quote name="nevets88" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1908#post_1072155"] Wait, did I say I was gonna stay away from this thread? FFFF******#####&&&&& !!!!!! :doh: [/quote] Gotcha. . .:-D

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

William Hung of golf, @billchao , Ouch! I'm gonna have to file that for later.

You want inspiration, there are whole industries and that omniscient being people worship.  You want golf inspiration, subscribe to YT, FB, Twitter feeds of good pros who provide before and after videos.  And they won't ask you to donate. Way less time spent reading wall of texts.

Steve

Anyone else bored of people doing things just so they can inspire others to do other things? Maybe "bored" is wrong word. "Skeptical?" "Numb?" "Uninspired?"

I caught part of that tight-rope walk on the Chicago skyscrapers. Nuts! Nik Wallenda was asked why he does it.... basically to be an inspiration to others.

I think one of the contestants on Big Break last week was asked why she continues her struggle with golf, despite it not going well.. you guessed it: to inspire other little girls to chase their dreams, no matter how crazy.

Dan's blog is filled with this kind of talk. Inspire others that they can do what they want. There's no limit. Just do it.

Maybe I've just gotten way too cynical, but that's not how I've raised my kids. Work hard, stay focused, set goals, have integrity, but be grounded and realistic. Hmmm, not exactly a bumper sticker.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Anyone else bored of people doing things just so they can inspire others to do other things? Maybe "bored" is wrong word. "Skeptical?" "Numb?" "Uninspired?"

I caught part of that tight-rope walk on the Chicago skyscrapers. Nuts! Nik Wallenda was asked why he does it.... basically to be an inspiration to others.

I think one of the contestants on Big Break last week was asked why she continues her struggle with golf, despite it not going well.. you guessed it: to inspire other little girls to chase their dreams, no matter how crazy.

Dan's blog is filled with this kind of talk. Inspire others that they can do what they want. There's no limit. Just do it.

Maybe I've just gotten way too cynical, but that's not how I've raised my kids. Work hard, stay focused, set goals, have integrity, but be grounded and realistic. Hmmm, not exactly a bumper sticker.

@RandallT you have a knack for expressing my thoughts better than anything I can put to paper. Maybe we're also overwhelmed as well, with instant, ubiquitous and easy communication.

Steve

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallT

@RandallT you have a knack for expressing my thoughts better than anything I can put to paper. Maybe we're also overwhelmed as well, with instant, ubiquitous and easy communication.

Overwhelmed, yes, but yet we can hardly avert our eyes from the the maddening things that drive us nuts. Don't leave the thread! :beer:

I oddly like Dan still, but cannot avoid watching this project sink further and further into despair. It'll be interesting to see how he salvages much out of this whole thing. Your catch about his quote being "befuddled" that few sponsors were catching on to his grand project was definitely worth a good chuckle this morning. Thanks for the comic relief.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by RandallT

Overwhelmed, yes, but yet we can hardly avert our eyes from the the maddening things that drive us nuts. Don't leave the thread!

I oddly like Dan still, but cannot avoid watching this project sink further and further into despair. It'll be interesting to see how he salvages much out of this whole thing. Your catch about his quote being "befuddled" that few sponsors were catching on to his grand project was definitely worth a good chuckle this morning. Thanks for the comic relief.

I'm wondering like you, his exit strategy. I see no choice but to pivot into marketing - he's good at that. And I'd even guess completely out of golf. Or with all the traveling he's doing - travel golf? If he goes anywhere near instruction though, shudder, I don't want to think about that.

Steve

No company wants to be involved in a farce or a failure even if it gets their name mentioned in some press.  The golf industry knows Dan has no chance in accomplishing his goal, if he did they'd "buy in" for the opportunity to own the marketing rights when he makes it.  The fact Dan can't get more than a set of clubs and some balls from golf companies shows how little they think of him.  I'd bet the cost to fund Dan for an entire year would be less than one days commercials during a PGA Tour event on CBS or NBC.

Instead of being "befuddled" Dan needs to accept the reality he's not getting a full sponsorship because they aren't interested in the concept, they just aren't interested in him.

His best chance of getting any kind of money is pitching the BackNine network on featuring him as part of a reality show that tracks his remaining 5000 hours.

Joe Paradiso

I occasionally come back and read this thread simply because I'm fascinated that some people think anybody can reach the top levels simply because they put in 10,000 hours.

I would figure that anybody and everybody would have enough life experiences (either in or outside of athletics) to throw that completely out the window at first glance.

Using only what I have personally seen and experienced there are too many examples to even begin to count up where people put in many more hours and certainly much more effort to become an elite athlete and in the end they simply didn't have the talent.

The golf industry knows Dan has no chance in accomplishing his goal, if he did they'd "buy in" for the opportunity to own the marketing rights when he makes it.

Good point. They'd want to buy in early, hoping to catch a good price and cash in when the player becomes successful. Like Nike did, with Michelle Wie.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

(You missed the question mark).

Die antwort ist nein.

Hoopla, und genau.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Quote:

No company wants to be involved in a farce or a failure even if it gets their name mentioned in some press.  The golf industry knows Dan has no chance in accomplishing his goal, if he did they'd "buy in" for the opportunity to own the marketing rights when he makes it.  The fact Dan can't get more than a set of clubs and some balls from golf companies shows how little they think of him.  I'd bet the cost to fund Dan for an entire year would be less than one days commercials during a PGA Tour event on CBS or NBC.

Instead of being "befuddled" Dan needs to accept the reality he's not getting a full sponsorship because they aren't interested in the concept, they just aren't interested in him.

His best chance of getting any kind of money is pitching the BackNine network on featuring him as part of a reality show that tracks his remaining 5000 hours.

Could be that he's just not pulling in enough eyeballs? Certainly there are enough examples of not so great quality content out there with massive viewership. He only has ~400 subscribers on his YT channel. TST's YT channel has more subscribers. Just looping through his YT videos, they average ~1.5K views? Now if he had 25K subscribers and an average of 50K views on each video, that's a different story. On Twitter, ~6K followers. A niche internet podcaster has 10 times the followers. The fact that the golf audience, though a desirable one to advertisers, is a small demographic doesn't help. I don't think he gets enough coverage on print/tv media to garner enough interest. Most stories are one shot deals, there's no repeatability compared to say like a tech personality who reviews new products.

I don't know enough about marketing to judge. If someone in marketing can give an idea whether his metrics warrant more sponsors, please chime in.

Steve

Could be that he's just not pulling in enough eyeballs? Certainly there are enough examples of not so great quality content out there with massive viewership. He only has ~400 subscribers on his YT channel. TST's YT channel has more subscribers. Just looping through his YT videos, they average ~1.5K views? Now if he had 25K subscribers and an average of 50K views on each video, that's a different story. On Twitter, ~6K followers. A niche internet podcaster has 10 times the followers. The fact that the golf audience, though a desirable one to advertisers, is a small demographic doesn't help. I don't think he gets enough coverage on print/tv media to garner enough interest. Most stories are one shot deals, there's no repeatability compared to say like a tech personality who reviews new products.

I don't know enough about marketing to judge. If someone in marketing can give an idea whether his metrics warrant more sponsors, please chime in.

It's Dan's job to get the followers and he hasn't made an effort.  I'm sure he knows about this site (all he'd have to do is Google his name) but he hasn't come on here to participate in the discussions.  He seems to only post information on social media to promote a business that recently gave him something free otherwise he uses his blog to communicate which he likely can't translate into actual followers.

He's not a marketing guy and nothing he's done would be considered close to viral.  If you want people to follow you on YT, Twitter, etc you have to work at putting the content out there to attract people, his blog isn't cutting it.

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 2558 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!