IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I searched up some keywords on google and one site that resulted in that search was 'The Dan Plan.' His ticker is at ~4,000. However his blog is gone, there isn't any new content on his site. Anyone know what became of that guy. His last index is in 2015, in May I believe, and it had him up to 5.5 which was two points above his last month. Did he finally just get fed up with it?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

:doh:

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

On 6/24/2016 at 4:50 PM, nevets88 said:

:doh:

That's pretty funny. It makes me wonder if she has looked at any of the dates attached to his posts?

4 hours ago, Pretzel said:

That's pretty funny. It makes me wonder if she has looked at any of the dates attached to his posts?

The Dan Plan liked the tweet too. That sort of reductivism and oversimplification does no one any favors. Oh, just practice more, you'll be better. Silly.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Not done. I just listened to a couple of minutes at the end where he states his future plans and it sounded like he plans to keep on going.

http://www.experttabletennis.com/dan-mclaughlin-how-to-master-any-skill/

Steve

• 2 months later...

Mark Broadie states his opinion:

Steve

9 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Mark Broadie states his opinion:

His opinion is you cannot be a golfer that plays on the PGA Tour with 10,000 hours of deliberate practice but you can achieve your potential. Whatever that potential may be. Hmm... Sounds to me like a non-answer. 

I guess though, there probably is no right answer. What Dan did though has nothing to do with the 10k theory. Yes, he attached his name to it, but it was not a representative experiment.

Michael

• 5 months later...

For those looking for something resembling closure with the Dan Plan, Golfwrx posted this article a couple days ago where Dan says his goodbyes.

Since his goodbye is fairly weak, perhaps it's up to me to offer a good ending to this story. I can't decide whether I want to go with the Dan Plan Dirty Harry ending, which contains a valuable lesson:

...or the Dan Plan Goodfellas Ending, which is... well... just cooler :-D:

• Upvote 4

Constantine

In the end, another guy who never figured out the swing. Golf is a cruel mistress, literally, a back breaker, and the quite the temptress, always dangling hope. The senior tour is even harder to make due to such tight requirements and not nearly the draw as the regular tour. Will be harder to get eyeballs and press coverage. 

Steve

I think he wanted to avoid looking like his plan had failed, even though by just about any objective measurement it had. He was nearly 3/4 of the way through his practice time and was still unable to compete near the top of the pack even at the local amateur level (qualifier for state amateur tournaments). 

That said, I would've preferred he wrote out an ending conclusion to it. Step up and admit that the plan wasn't anywhere close to on track, and that he was left hurt and unable to complete it. That's a lot more graceful than the limbo that it ended up being left in.

Interestingly enough, I looked up the name Dan McLaughlin in Oregon and found only one golfer with a handicap of 8.0 who plays at Grants Pass Golf Club. This person has a low H.I. of 7.4, so it isn't Dan from the Dan Plan. Looks like Dan definitely is throwing in the towel if he hasn't even registered his GHIN number for the year.

It was a joke from the beginning. Is there anyone surprised it didn't work out like he planned? Golf is tough that if you are practicing wrong you can actually get worse. It isn't about time.

Edited by MuniGrit

Trollin' is the life

On 3/19/2017 at 0:47 AM, JetFan1983 said:

For those looking for something resembling closure with the Dan Plan, Golfwrx posted this article a couple days ago where Dan says his goodbyes.

A blast from the past. Haven't thought about this in a while! People seem to be waking up now and wondering what the heck ever happened to this project. Couple other recent links I just found too, in case folks interested:

http://myavidgolfer.com/blog/uncategorised/r-p-dan-plan-spending-10000-hours-turn-pro-golfer/

They used @mchepp's article there as a source.

https://waxgolf.com/2017/03/17/the-dan-plan-the-fatal-flaw/

Their angle is clearly to push/market a "mechanically correct swing," and they say his back started to hurt because of the lack of hip turn.

But how interesting the Dan says he lost sight of his desire to inspire people, and that the project became too much about golf itself! I would've argued the opposite. How can you inspire people if you don't reach your golf goal.

The guy who wrote the wrx article also says Dan never set a goal of reaching the PGA. Not true. It's still on Dan's web site: http://thedanplan.com/about/

THE DETAILS

Logging in 30-plus hours a week he will hit the 10,000 hour milestone by December 2016. During this time, Dan plans to develop his skills through deliberate practice, eventually winning amateur events and obtaining his PGA Tour card through a successful appearance in the PGA Tour’s Qualifying School, or “Q-School”.

It is in the "Why?" section at the site where Dan talks about inspiring others. To me, the "why" is the justification for the goal, but not the goal. Maybe splitting hairs. But the whole project caught on because of the PGA goal- otherwise, there would be zero interest in just a guy learning how to get better.

Anyway, I just can't recall many times where he actually demonstrated deliberate practice. Not in his longer blog entries, not in his daily narratives. I just thumbed through a bunch, and I don't see much focus on specific things. Not any reference to video, slow motion, etc. Maybe I'm wrong and his time early with an instructor was like that. Or maybe he just didn't share much about his disciplined processes. 

But to hear Dan talk now about the importance of deliberate practice in these post-mortem interviews feels off (from someone who followed fairly closely to the project as it was going on).  My impression was that he played a lot, and hoped he was "finding it." He bounced around a lot, and had epiphanies every once in a while that he tried to con himself were great progress. 

I've learned about 10x more stuff about deliberate practice here on TST than I even sniffed over at Dan's site. Now, it's all too easy to write stuff like: "just check out Dan's incredibly detailed site for a great example of what you can achieve with deliberate practice." 

Phooey- there's not much there on that. In fact, you'll do far, far better at a site like this, and you'll get a chance to interact with others who are trying to do deliberate practice: swing threads, daily practice threads, stuff on practice techniques, conscious/unconscious stages of competence, etc.  I think Dan should've been here the whole time, and he'd have developed more than he did. We'd have kept him on track at least.

• Upvote 5

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

26 minutes ago, RandallT said:

The guy who wrote the wrx article also says Dan never set a goal of reaching the PGA. Not true.

Didn't he modify that goal and make it "play in a PGA event" (which opened the door for Monday qualifier, sponsor exemption, etc) instead of actually getting a Tour card?  I know his About page didn't change but I thought some of his posts softened the goal a bit.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

There was so much negativity I don't blame him for just walking away. That and he could have just figured all the negative stuff was already said many times about him failing anyway.

So, what's the point? Fuss up to a bunch of golf nerds just so we can stand there with our arms folded like we knew this was the outcome all along?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Even the way he "quits" demonstrates his wishy-washiness. Well, I'm done, but there's the Senior Tour.

People,

DON'T WASTE YOUR ENERGY ON THIS GUY, HE HAS SUCKED ENOUGH OF YOUR VALUABLE TIME.

• Upvote 2

Steve

15 minutes ago, nevets88 said:

Even the way he "quits" demonstrates his wishy-washiness. Well, I'm done, but there's the Senior Tour.

People,

DON'T WASTE YOUR ENERGY ON THIS GUY, HE HAS SUCKED ENOUGH OF YOUR VALUABLE TIME.

Then why did you post here again?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 2376 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!