IGNORED

The Dan Plan - 10,000 Hours to Become a Pro Golfer (Dan McLaughlin)

Jonnydanger81
Note: This thread is 2456 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I wish I could find a monitor near me so as to get an idea of what my carry and spin rate is.

That said, it'd be great if you could do it this week but don't let it be a distraction from your tournament preparation.

Golfsmith, GolfGalaxy and more have them. Jus task to jump on and bring your driver up there.

Golfsmith, GolfGalaxy and more have them. Jus task to jump on and bring your driver up there.

I actually did that yesterday and got these suspect results.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/75642/interpreting-driver-fitting-numbers

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I wish I could find a monitor near me so as to get an idea of what my carry and spin rate is.

That said, it'd be great if you could do it this week but don't let it be a distraction from your tournament preparation.

There is really no need for that. Find an open hole on a course and hit a dozen balls. Measure with google earth using known reference points with your laser.

I actually don't look at my swing.. so not sure what it could look like lol. It is probably funky considering I have never taken a lesson.

I'm sure it's pretty good.

I actually did that yesterday and got these suspect results.

http://thesandtrap.com/t/75642/interpreting-driver-fitting-numbers

I saw your videos, you have a lot of power with what appears to be a one plane swing. One thing I noted is that you go past parallel.

The numbers look really wild, but I think the average of 249 does not look that out of line with your 227 average measured with the rangefinder. Your spread on the course looks just as wild as on the golf swing monitor. The spread on the simulator is 52 yards and the spread on your course readings is 48 yards.

Since the simulator readings are 9.6% longer than your course distances, maybe your ball makes a difference or you might be more comfortable in the simulator. The simulator conditions are also more consistent and you can get "dialed in" better.

My guess is that your peak drives are actually 274, but because you hit inconsistently the average ends up so much lower. Seems like you should be able to average 250 yard drives if you swing a little more consistently.

Can you spray the face of your club with Dr. Scholls and post the pictures after taking 10 shots on the course and 10 shots in the simulator?

That might help you even if you don't post.

Off topic, so I posted in your "My Swing" thread.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

In Portland City Championship

***I did have a breakthrough with my putting and chipping and kept that going, which is huge in the long run.  4,761 remain. Random Stat: shot a 48-40 for a dismal 88.***

And he is getting flown to Australia?!

In Portland City Championship

***I did have a breakthrough with my putting and chipping and kept that going, which is huge in the long run.  4,761 remain. Random Stat: shot a 48-40 for a dismal 88.***

And he is getting flown to Australia?!

http://thedanplan.com/countdown/

Looks like he shot an 88-82 for 170 gross. If the Eastmoreland Course web site (http://www.eastmorelandgolfcourse.com/) is updated correctly, the winner shot 143, and Dan needed a 151 to place a T10.

The prior days' entries in the countdown narrative mentioned that Dan was as ready as he could be for the tournament. He scoped out the course, mapped the greens somewhat, and was riding high after the motivational seminar in Denver. I'd imagine it's got to be frustrating for him to shoot 88 his first tournament after the seminar, but Dan is nothing if not persistent.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Ouch, that always hurts to score high in a tournament. Especially after feeling very good about your chances. Blowup holes in a tournament will kill your confidence and cause you to rush a bit, so you have to make sure that the worst you do on any hole is a bogey or better.

Lets see, four of the par 4's were less than 350 and not a single par 5 over 500 in fact closer to 450, call me a hater but that is embarrassing for anyone to shoot that score with a sub 5 index or supposedly sub 5 index. The course only rated 71.0 at 124 slope and this is from the tips, if they played the forward tees then this has to be the biggest set back to date,

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

I nominate Dan for MacArthur fellow. There, funding solved.

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Blowup holes in a tournament will kill your confidence and cause you to rush a bit, so you have to make sure that the worst you do on any hole is a bogey or better.

That's a good tip for tournament play!! Easy!

The pros should be aware of this important (and surprisingly simple) piece of advice on hard courses.

I'm going to try it! B-)

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

The pros should be aware of this important (and surprisingly simple) piece of advice on hard courses.

I'm going to try it!

Easier said then done, as I can attest to (and anyone else who's played golf). That said, it is still good advice when you get in trouble just because it helps you remember not to be stupid and try to make a hero shot if you have a .01% probability of pulling it off.

Anyone see these articles recently? They showed up this week in my various news feeds:

Business Insider: New Study Destroys Malcolm Gladwell's 10,000 Hour Rule
http://www.businessinsider.com/new-study-destroys-malcolm-gladwells-10000-rule-2014-7?utm_source=hootsuite

Quote:

In a meta-analysis of 88 studies on deliberate practice, the researchers found that practice accounted for just a 12% difference in performance in various domains.

What's really surprising is how much it depends on the domain:

• In games, practice made for a 26% difference

• In music, it was a 21% difference

• In sports, an 18% difference

• In education, a 4% difference

• In professions, just a 1% difference

The best explanation of the domain dependency is probably found in Frans Johansson 's book " The Click Moment ."

Read more: http://www.businessinsider.com/new-study-destroys-malcolm-gladwells-10000-rule-2014-7#ixzz36tER60Hj

LifeHacker: Study Shows that 10,000 Hours Isn't the Magic Number

http://lifehacker.com/study-shows-that-10-000-hours-of-practice-isnt-the-magi-1601141560

Quote:

So, as is most often the case with these types of things, the 10,000 hour rule isn't really a rule. It's nice to think that we can all learn to do anything if we practice enough, but as The New York Times points out , it's nice to know that it's okay to quit too:

But letting go of the idea that enough practice turns anyone into a star can have its upsides, too. It may free us from self-blame if we're just not getting the hang of something. And if we've tried and tried and still don't succeed, it may give us permission to quit and try something else. Which, when I graduated from high school as a still-pretty-bad French horn player, is exactly what I did.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I'm going to try it!

Heck.....I'm gonna go one better.  I'm gonna make sure the worst I do on any given hole is par or better! ;-)

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Lets see, four of the par 4's were less than 350 and not a single par 5 over 500 in fact closer to 450, call me a hater but that is embarrassing for anyone to shoot that score with a sub 5 index or supposedly sub 5 index. The course only rated 71.0 at 124 slope and this is from the tips, if they played the forward tees then this has to be the biggest set back to date,

My guess is the average tour pro would shoot 65 there.

He is really only 1 shot a hole away from being a pro.

My guess is the average tour pro would shoot 65 there.

He is really only 1 shot a hole away from being a pro.

I had to read this a couple times. lol :-D

A pro might shoot even less than 65, if she's played there before.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

[U][/U][quote name="flopster" url="/t/45853/the-dan-plan-10-000-hours-to-become-a-pro-golfer/1458#post_1016633"]Lets see, four of the par 4's were less than 350 and not a single par 5 over 500 in fact closer to 450, call me a hater but that is embarrassing for anyone to shoot that score with a sub 5 index or supposedly sub 5 index. The course only rated 71.0 at 124 slope and this is from the tips, if they played the forward tees then this has to be the biggest set back to date, [/quote] Wow....I hadn't looked at the course before. He shot a freaking 88 there ?! :-O I'd leave the country too! :scared:

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

Wow....I hadn't looked at the course before. He shot a freaking 88 there?!

I'd leave the country too!

He claimed a breakthrough on putting and chipping? I guess a 94 would have been a possibility if he didn't make up and downs from generous flat areas around the greens, the photos show a flat course, google map shows a course with no bunkers in front of any greens and some without any or only 1 flat one, he obviously has no control on his full swing and was probably punching out from behind trees all day, I think the guy is stalled right now by his lack of athletic ability, he has had numerous club fittings, workouts with a personal trainer, professional golf instruction and consultation throughout, and this is what he has to show for it all? My buddy who plays 5 times a year could shoot an 88 there.

Rich C.

Driver Titleist 915 D3  9.5*
3 Wood TM RBZ stage 2 tour  14.5*
2 Hybrid Cobra baffler 17*
4Hybrid Adams 23*
Irons Adams CB2's 5-GW
Wedges 54* and 58* Titleist vokey
Putter Scotty Cameron square back 2014
Ball Srixon Zstar optic yellow
bushnell V2 slope edition

Ouch, that always hurts to score high in a tournament. Especially after feeling very good about your chances. Blowup holes in a tournament will kill your confidence and cause you to rush a bit, so you have to make sure that the worst you do on any hole is a bogey or better.

No offense intended, because you are a much better golf than I am, but I think this is terrible advice for tournament play. Playing  for "bogey or better" (or any score for that matter) is a surefire way to put up a lot of bogeys, and it won't ever eliminate the blowups. I will grant you that on a tough hole with lots of trouble, I don't mind making a more conservative approach and being happy with a bogey result. But I don't ever think taking the mindset of "don't make worse than bogey" to a course will lead to favorable results.

Note: This thread is 2456 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!