IGNORED

Could Luke Donald Really Be the World's Number One Player?

Chilli Dipper
Note: This thread is 4702 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I think he can.

He's been my favorite golfer for about 6-7 years now since I was a freshman in highschool. I was dying today when he went into the bunker. I'm bummed that he didn't win, but it's obvious that he's a great player and in my mind, he will one day soon be #1.

And as it turns out, sponsor marketing actually works, he was the reason I bought Mizuno irons back in the day, and that purchase solidified my love of Mizuno now.

Tough way for Donald to lose today.  I thought it was a great attempt, especially after his bunker shot went bad.  At that point, I actually was rooting for him to win, but it wasn't his day.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I guess we found out the answer to my question today: Luke Donald could very well be the best player in the world at some point, but not right now.

It's too bad the US Open and PGA Championship are both being played on bombers' tracks this year; I doubt Luke will have a serious chance to win either of those. If he can turn this current streak of good form into something with legs, though, I'd like his chances to win a major in the next couple of years; Olympic, Merion, and Oak Hill all seem to be right up his alley.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by deasy55

If the World Rankings were done your way the current top 5 would be:

1. Schwartzel

2. Donald

3. Kaymer

4. Watney

5. Wilson

And Donald would go #1 with a win. He will be #1 with a win using the current system and using your 'start again every year' system.

If thats the case, then I would be fine with that. I know Schwartzel is a relative "nobody" but I watched the Masters and that guy played some phenominal golf and played lights out on Sunday! Sure, why not put him at the top for a year or so? I think he earned it…

In my Ogio bag.

Titleist 910D2 driver, Adams irons & hybrid, Callaway wedges & a Nike Method putter.

And a yellow ball.

The great irony of life: "If nobody gets out alive, what's holding you back!?"

Originally Posted by SVTGolfer

If thats the case, then I would be fine with that. I know Schwartzel is a relative "nobody" but I watched the Masters and that guy played some phenominal golf and played lights out on Sunday! Sure, why not put him at the top for a year or so? I think he earned it…

I'd rather see someone playing well consistently over a long time be at the top than someone winning one major tournament.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

It's too bad the US Open and PGA Championship are both being played on bombers' tracks this year; I doubt Luke will have a serious chance to win either of those. If he can turn this current streak of good form into something with legs, though, I'd like his chances to win a major in the next couple of years; Olympic, Merion, and Oak Hill all seem to be right up his alley.

Yes the famous Merion Golf Club. Not sure if some of you know but it was originally created by members of the original Merion Cricket Club, so they obviously have good taste in sports :-P

• Upvote 1

Driver: Taylormade R11 set to 8*
3 Wood: R9 15* Motore Stiff
Hybrid: 19° 909 H Voodoo
Irons: 4-PW AP2 Project X 5.5
52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

Putter: Odyssey XG #7

Ball: Titleist Pro V1x

• Upvote 1

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

HA! Coming from someone who lives in a country where baseball is so popular, which is one of the most one dimensional sports ever invented.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/2009/jul/16/dullest-sport-cricket-golf

http://thebrightsideofsport.blogspot.com/2010/12/breaking-news-cricket-is-most-boring.html

52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

• Administrator

Originally Posted by michaeljames92

HA! Coming from someone who lives in a country where baseball is so popular, which is one of the most one dimensional sports ever invented.

Baseball is popular in Canada?

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Yeah didn't realise he was from Canada. But I think you get my point. I've been known to watch test matches for 5 days, I love it hey.

Originally Posted by iacas

Baseball is popular in Canada?

52*, 60* Vokey SM Chrome

• Administrator

Yeah didn't realise he was from Canada. But I think you get my point. I've been known to watch test matches for 5 days, I love it hey.

Yeah, sarcasm doesn't always work in text. ;-)

Baseball is either boring or intricate. It's more of a mind game with the pitcher-batter duel at the very center.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I love baseball, but I assume it's an acquired taste like nearly all sports are.

To the topic- I think Luke will get there eventually. It seemed like he used to always be ranked much higher than his accomplishments would suggest, but the past few years he's really cemented his spot near the top of the rankings, and deservedly so.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Well, in Canada baseball is more popular in than cricket anyway (about 30 million times more popular).

Cricket, golf, lawn bowling, regular bowling, soccer at less than elite levels, and of course baseball, are very boring to casual observers. So is 99% of track and field and people are moving non-stop throughout most of those events.

I just thought it was funny when looking up "golf and cricket", almost every link is for "the worlds most boring sports". The real winner for world's most boring sport? Canada excels at it. Curling!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

Originally Posted by sean_miller

The real winner for world's most boring sport? Canada excels at it. Curling!!

Some people have no taste.
And anyway, Canada's record in curling is second to Scotland, I believe.

• 1 month later...

Originally Posted by bplewis24

What year was it?

I'm not sure what you mean? I'm asking does anybody know.....I wasn't giving a trivia question.

Sorry for the confusion

Note: This thread is 4702 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!