IGNORED

Bubba Watson - Why doesn't he win more often?

USGolfers
Note: This thread is 4725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Bubba Watson is self-taught golfer who apparently doesn't have a swing coach.

He will be playing well, and then fall apart for three or four holes. Maybe a swing coach could reinforce a pre-swing and swing routine which would carry him through during times of pressure. Also, as ChilliDip suggested, maybe if throttled back of the tee and avoided so many partial wedges he could pick up a couple of strokes a week.

Along with swing routine, he needs better decision making. On No. 9 Sunday in the Zurich, he muscles a PW into a crosswind, and ends up with the ball rolling into the pond to the left - double bogie and loses the lead - needed playoff to pull it out. In the Accenture Match Play back in February, several really questionable shot choices in the last two rounds, both of which he lost.

But, he's won a three PGA events so far. Even if Bubba shores up his shortcomings, it's going to be difficult for anyone to dominate week in and week out against all the PGA tour talent.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

On the patience side, there was an interesting stat I saw on the Golf Channel the other day. Bubba Watson only ranks 134th on tour in approaches from 50-125 yards, but 12th in approaches from 125-150 yards. He is the longest driver in the field, but those drives frequently leave him with partial wedge shots, and he simply isn't as good from that distance as he is when he can make a full swing. As great as his distance off the tee is, maybe he should hold it back more often.

That's a pretty telling stat. It seems like when guys like him and JB Holmes are playing well, they're dialed in with their half wedges. I remember the 2008 Ryder Cup, Holmes was sticking all of his half wedges close. That's a real make or break stat for the long drivers.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

That's a pretty telling stat. It seems like when guys like him and JB Holmes are playing well, they're dialed in with their half wedges. I remember the 2008 Ryder Cup, Holmes was sticking all of his half wedges close. That's a real make or break stat for the long drivers.

The problem is in leaving too many of those half wedges.  No player is totally consistent with those shots, and when you leave yourself too many of them, inconsistency is the result.  I think Bubba has too much power in a quirky swing, and if he ever becomes a consistent player, I'll be surprised.  At 33, he isn't just a kid coming up either.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Fourputt

The problem is in leaving too many of those half wedges.  No player is totally consistent with those shots, and when you leave yourself too many of them, inconsistency is the result.  I think Bubba has too much power in a quirky swing, and if he ever becomes a consistent player, I'll be surprised.  At 33, he isn't just a kid coming up either.

yea thats true, Bubba is good at killing the ball; with wedges you shouldnt be trying to kill the ball, its a finess thing. I dont think you should ever swing a wedge full power, thats why I think its funny when guys are always saying they rip the cover off of balls with their wedges, when I hear that Im guessing they dont have a very good wedge game.

Originally Posted by WUTiger

Bubba Watson is self-taught golfer who apparently doesn't have a swing coach.

He will be playing well, and then fall apart for three or four holes. Maybe a swing coach could reinforce a pre-swing and swing routine which would carry him through during times of pressure.

His pre-swing routine makes me nervous just watching it on tv.

Joe Paradiso

I had no idea he was that old.

In my Bag (work in progress):

Driver: TaylorMade 10.5* R11, Regular Shaft
3W: TaylorMade Burner 15*

3Hy: Nike SQ Sumo Hybrid
Irons: 2005 TaylorMade Rac OS, 4-AW

Wedge: Cleveland CG14 56*, old dingy 64* wedge that I have no business using

Putter: Odyssey White Hot Tour Putter or a Cleveland Classic Anser-Style

Kicks: Footjoy E-Comforts

Ball: Used Titleist DT Solos.

Honestly, with his wild swing I am surprised he comes as close to winning as often as he does.  I'll tell you one thing, he won't be able to keep that swing in the long term.  In a few years, his body is going to catch up with him and he will have a hard time re-tooling.

Driver: Burner 10.5 deg
5W: R7 18 deg
3H: Idea Tech
4-PW: MP-57
GW: Vokey 52 degSW: 56 degLW: 60 degPutter: Black Series 1 34"Ball: Pro V1

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtogolf

His pre-swing routine makes me nervous just watching it on tv.

Lol I always think he's going to hit the ball accidentally!  Makes me nervous

Driver: adams.gif Speedline 9032LS RIP Shaft (Stiff)

3 Wood: adams.gif Oviation 3Wood

Hybrids: taylormade.gif Rescue 18* 3H - 22* 4H

Irons: callaway.gif X-24 Hot Irons 5-PW

Wedges: cleveland.gif CG15 52, 56

Putter: odyssey.gif PT 82

Ball:  e6

Although he's played from childhood, retaining confidence in a self-taught swing as his body begins to age will be a challenge. Self-doubt rears it's ugly head and inner focus is disrupted.

Originally Posted by plugged

Honestly, with his wild swing I am surprised he comes as close to winning as often as he does.  I'll tell you one thing, he won't be able to keep that swing in the long term.  In a few years, his body is going to catch up with him and he will have a hard time re-tooling.

From what I've heard, Bubba has always resisted instruction. Re-tooling may not be a choice he's willing to make.

He has the same swing he has had since childhood.  Retooling a swing never works (Look at Woods).  The most successful coaches (specifically Harmon) takes the building blocks of the natural swing and makes it do what it needs to be successful.

By the way in the last year no one in the World's "Top Ten" has won more on the PGA

-Westwood - 0

-Kaymer - 1

-Donald - 2

-Mickelson - 1

-McDowell - 2

-McIlroy - 1

-Woods - 0

-Carey - 0

-Stricker - 1

-Watson - 3

He is a great guy, which things are really paying off for.  He has been insanely generous with his success and done the right thing!  Yes he is 33, but he is a late comer and is coming into his own!  I don't see why so many 5 - 20 handicaps think they know better tan he?

Originally Posted by USGolfers

I think Bubba has the potential to be the best! When he powers his shot he's huge, and when he's fluid he's equally long. He reads greens well. And his short game is great. Why doesn't he win more often?

I'll guess he's spending too much time worrying about Tiger Woods' swing and not enough about his own game.

Bubba Watson is like the Anti Tiger (Pre Car Crash That Is). Bubba can hit it longer then anyone, and when he hits it good hes very accurate but he has no consistency. Tiger was the master of consistency and that why he was so good for so long. No matter what the situation or how good/bad the last shot was he played his game. Bubba is the opposite when he hits it good its amazing but for whatever reason be it the lack of the ability to block out situation and surroundings and make your shot, or just a herky jerky swing that is hard to repeat. He just seems to have stretches where hes unbeatable and stretches where he looks amateur often in the same round. He also has never shown the ability to bear down and play well when he needs it. If he plays well on a given day it seems as though it is by chance not by his own doing. I love watching him because hes a constant show but he will never be consistent enough to be considered a top world talent. Though in my mind he is certainly one of the most entertaining talents in the world.

nickent.gif4DX Evolver Driver, ping.gif Rapture 3 Wood, taylormade.gif Burner 08 5 Wood, nickent.gif 3DX RC 3-4 & 5DX 5 Hybrid,
nickent.gif 6-PW 3DX Hybrid Irons, cleveland.gif High Bore 09 GW-SW, touredge.gif 60* Wedge, maxfli.gif Revolution Blade Insert Putter

Yes I'm Aware That's 16 Clubs!

I think if Bubba Could get his Putting And fairways In REG up He could Be a Power house Player because He`s long Off the Tee  Can Work the ball in ANY Direction he`s really Creative  Around the greens, But Still his Putting is lacking Some Consistency ...

he is still relatively young. We have been jaded by Tiger Woods being so good under pressure all the time as a young golfer. I think Bubba will continue to get better, as he has for the last few years, and will definitely be one of the favorites every tournament in the next few years to come.

If he stays healthy he could have another 10+ good PGA Tour seasons. Needs to dial down the spin on those 77 yard wedge shots though!!

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

He is just an amazing golfer, but I find he works the ball way to much to be effective. Ya! sure hitting a 60 yard fade on purpose is nice in all, but it just adds another variable in this already variable filled game.

have fun on the golf course! score low right?

He doesn't win more often because his short game is erratic.  It is better than Dustin Johnson's but still barely average.  Fun guy to watch.

Note: This thread is 4725 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!