IGNORED

The Big Break "Indian Wells"

walk18
Note: This thread is 4669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by aschroeger

Last nights episode is how every episode should have been imo.

I agree but I would like to see a season where is it s 64 person match or stroke play tournament, lose an 18 hole match and your done. It would be a lot of guys to follow for the first couple shows but once it got down to 16 or so they could focus more on each individual match. It would allow more people a chance at there "big break" and the winner would have to be a proven performer and worthy winner.

Driver- Titleist 910 D3 9.5

3 Wood- Burner 15 degree
Irons- Slingshot 4I-AW
Hybrid- CPR 3 22 degree
Putter- White Hot XG 8

This thread makes me wish I had cable... I had DirecTV but when I moved, lost the view of the sky we needed. We're moving in a month and I will resub to directv and get the HD golf channel. 8)

I felt Carl out-thought himself, going with the 2i instead of something he could better control under pressure on the 2nd hole...big mistake.  I agree, Wills quote was dead on about Carl.  I found myself rooting for Carl the most of the final four, but didn't think he'd have much of a chance since I thought Kent was going to win it all.  I was pretty confident that Will couldn't handle the pressure so no shock he lost to David.  David has shown a lot more game in the last few weeks than I thought he had, and will give Kent a good match.

Good showing for the Canucks - an all Canadian BB finale.

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Originally Posted by jclifton

When Carl pulled off another "clutch" shot out of the fairway bunker onto the green, Will's comment was priceless!

"Carl is the best worst golfer I know".

Glad to see Kent and David in the finals. I think it would have been wrong for the winner to have been someone who would have embarrased themselves at the Zurich.

I was cracking up bad when he said that... Carl did hit the best shots of the show thus far (Besides Will holing out his flop over the wall), but his swing is tough to watch.

I was calling Kent to win this thing as soon as I saw him break almost all the glass. He's the only one with any control over his swing under pressure (Petey being the exception).

It's hard to knock David's game, though. He's a competitor for sure and this should be an exciting finale for BB.

If I were a betting man, I'd have my money on Kent.

What a difference between Indian Wells and Disney!  The level of talent is so much higher and the sportsmanship is commendable.  Other than a few clubs thrown and that one guy who wanted to beat everyone up, the show have been pretty good.  I like Kent to win it but David is certainly a grinder.

As I admitted earlier in the thread, this is easily the best BB season I've seen yet. Carl is clearly a badass and just needs to get more experience (Take your 2-iron off 17-tee, man! Shocked he pulled driver, even if he chunked his previous one). I like Will but I would think that cross-handed grip can only take him so far. I know players of the past have pulled it off, but its possible that nowadays, it's just too much of a distance disadvantage.

David has basically zero experience (not including all the stuff he's learned on BB though), especially when compared to Kent. It'll be fun to watch though.

PS- The Shank-Carl bromance was a little much, but ultimately, it did make their Spock vs. Captain Kirk elimination challenge to the death that much better.

Constantine

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I doubt that the format you suggest would get anywhere near the number of viewers as the present format.  I believe the Big Break viewers like the "sudden death" types of challenges on the show and also like the "personalities" and their conflicts (or at least the portrayed personalities).   Who would spend hours watching a bunch of unknowns play a 64 field of match/stroke play?  Not nearly as many as watch the present Big Break shows I suspect.

Originally Posted by slabm7

I agree but I would like to see a season where is it s 64 person match or stroke play tournament, lose an 18 hole match and your done. It would be a lot of guys to follow for the first couple shows but once it got down to 16 or so they could focus more on each individual match. It would allow more people a chance at there "big break" and the winner would have to be a proven performer and worthy winner.

Butch

I still would like to see whole hole matches for most of the show.

I noticed that they drive their carts to their shots now on whole hole matches.  If they were to just walk it would give camera crews much more time to get set up for  every angle of every shot.

Originally Posted by Wallstreet

I still would like to see whole hole matches for most of the show.

I noticed that they drive their carts to their shots now on whole hole matches.  If they were to just walk it would give camera crews much more time to get set up for  every angle of every shot.

Its not just logistics, its cost.

Originally Posted by deronsizemore

Ummmm.... yeah, I am serious. The Golf Channel should have a good enough grasp on the tech side of things to be able to record a show like this (especially after doing it for how many years now? Eight?) and allow these guys to play their game. You record everything from a few different angles and edit it for TV later. You don't tell the participants to wait to hit a shot so that the camera guy can get into an optimal position. I have a hard time believing that's what happens and if it does, The Golf Channel should be taking a serious look at how that show is created.

Please pay attention to the show.

They CURRENTLY HAVE MULTIPLE ANGLES and multiple cameras.  A player is not asked to wait so a camera GUY gets into position.  More like entire TEAMS of cameras.  Logistics and Operations folks a hole or two ahead, or a shot or two ahead, etc. The contestants themselves have stated it takes longer to play a hole on Big Break that it does in a tournament or in casual golf.  MUCH longer.

If you or others think they can suddenly play 9 hole or 18 hole matches, and film with the same types of multiple angles they have now... then, well, sorry.  Your loss, because it isn't going to happen, and you're not going to understand why.

And questioning if The Golf Channel has the chops to televise this show (after they have televised Dozens and Dozens and Dozens of entire TOURNAMENTS) -- that is hard to take seriously.  Have you watched any of the BB bonus coverage on their website?  Specifically that which deals with the difficult logistics of the show?  Read what contestants or TGC themselves have to say on the topic?

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

I for one think Golf Channel gave away the winner with the brief "next time on Big Break" they showed last week - the finale sneak peak.

We are shown David and Kent shaking hands.  Hats off, clubs in hand.  I'm guessing it is after the match has just ended, as they are wearing the SAME clothes as they are during many of the swings from the final match.  Kent is holding his hat, a towel, a few short irons and another club that is presumably the putter.  He might even be holding the flag.  I don't recall.  Anyway, his hands are loaded.  David has removed his hat and when shaking, he has only the putter I think.

How many times has a player WON a match while holding ALL his clubs and a towel and all that?  It's not very likely.  Even if Kent has the lead and David must MAKE a putt to halve a hole or force another hole... Kent would NOT be holding on to all of his gear like that I don't think.  He'd be holding his putter only... even IF his ball was conceded or he's already tapped in on the hole.  You don't go grab all your gear like that.

So... I believe Kent chipped up close or something, it was conceded by David, who has to make par or two putt/accomplish something that is pretty likely to halve the hole and win BB.  He does just that, and Kent is hanging on to all his gear ALREADY, knowing he's going to lose, and that is why he is holding it all when the handshake happens.

David has also been tweeting a ton all season.

JAT

David for the win.

:macgregor: V Foil 8.5*    :tmade: Mid Rescue 16*  -- :wilsonstaff: RM  2 thru Wedge -- :vokey: 56/10  -- :scotty_cameron: Studio Design 2  & a  :srixon: Z Star 

Originally Posted by Bryan SD2

I'm pulling for Russell and for the Figure Skater's kid (David, I think?).  A few former BB winners have been friendly with him recently on various social media sites.  Hmmmmm.... yep, he's my pick right now.  Figure skater guy for the win.

And thank you Russell for any and all comments you can make about the show.  You're tongue tied of course, but even a small observation here and there will be fun.  Can you get me Carling Coffing's number please?  Thanks....

Heck.... I picked David to win back in MAY!

You are very correct in your assumptions...

Originally Posted by Bryan SD2

Please pay attention to the show.

They CURRENTLY HAVE MULTIPLE ANGLES and multiple cameras.  A player is not asked to wait so a camera GUY gets into position.  More like entire TEAMS of cameras.  Logistics and Operations folks a hole or two ahead, or a shot or two ahead, etc. The contestants themselves have stated it takes longer to play a hole on Big Break that it does in a tournament or in casual golf.  MUCH longer.

If you or others think they can suddenly play 9 hole or 18 hole matches, and film with the same types of multiple angles they have now... then, well, sorry.  Your loss, because it isn't going to happen, and you're not going to understand why.

And questioning if The Golf Channel has the chops to televise this show (after they have televised Dozens and Dozens and Dozens of entire TOURNAMENTS) -- that is hard to take seriously.  Have you watched any of the BB bonus coverage on their website?  Specifically that which deals with the difficult logistics of the show?  Read what contestants or TGC themselves have to say on the topic?

Kent knows he's going to lose?  I'm betting Kent beats David, by the body language, as David goes over to Kent to shake his hand, congratulating Kent on his win(???), well we'll see.

Good for David. He earned it all the way through the show Kent got the yips but he's a solid player and has nothing to be ashamed of, he'll be back

In my  2.0 Lite bag:

Driver:  Superfast 10.5* stiff flex

3 Wood:  Superfast 2.0

4-SW: SQ Machspeed

GW:  52.08

Putter:  Rossa Daytona

Congrats to David. Well deserved. Hope he has a good future

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Note: This thread is 4669 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!