IGNORED

Making singles reservations

ejimsmith
Note: This thread is 4442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I've found a couple of courses that will let me go off first in the morning with the understanding the foursome behind me had better not even see me after the first hole. Which isn't really a problem as a single. If you play the same courses enough and get to know the staff, it might help you go this route.

It definitely helps to play somewhere regularly and be familiar with the staff.

There is a course in Davis, Ca., that I like to play a lot.  They actually have a policy that they won't allow singles unless they can't find somebody to pair you up with.  However, I golf there so often that even without asking, they will allow me to go off as a single if there is plenty of room ahead of me.  It obviously helps that I have a reputation of playing fast and not tearing up the course.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I just came back from a trip to Bandon and of the 6 rounds I played 5 I went out as a single.  I made my reservations as a single.  I was amazed when I got to Pacific Dunes and was told by the starter that I would be going out as a single.  I ended up following 2 groups of 4 and neither were interested in letting me play through and I didn't bring it up with the multiple marshals they have on the course so I played 2 balls starting on the 7th and chipped and putted on the greens.  Unfortunately the group of 4 behind me kept right on pace so I really didn't get to practice like I would have otherwise and got off the greens as they made it to their balls.

When I was in college I regularly played after classes as a single.  The school has 2 courses and few students played so it was never a problem getting out.  When I was in DC the course I played would not reserve tee times for the first hour on the weekends and with 3 courses this was ideal for singles to walk out on.  Here in LA there have been a few times where I would show up and have to wait 2+ hours to get out but the courses that I regularly play are not multi-course facilities.

Sorry, but if those marshalls were doing their jobs, then THEY would have told the groups ahead to let you play through.

Originally Posted by RayG

Sorry, but if those marshalls were doing their jobs, then THEY would have told the groups ahead to let you play through.

That depends on course policy.  As long as the fourballs in front of him were maintaining the course pace, they were under no obligation to interrupt their play to let him through.   It is just one of many golf myths, that a single or pair has an inalienable right to play through a fourball.  That privilege is dependent on course policy and on the situation at the time.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

There is a course in Davis, Ca., that I like to play a lot.  They actually have a policy that they won't allow singles unless they can't find somebody to pair you up with.  However, I golf there so often that even without asking, they will allow me to go off as a single if there is plenty of room ahead of me.  It obviously helps that I have a reputation of playing fast and not tearing up the course.

Brandon

Was this the muni? I used to live 4 minutes from there. It was a great way to blow off steam during midterms or finals...

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

Originally Posted by B-Con

Quote:

Originally Posted by bplewis24

Brandon

Was this the muni? I used to live 4 minutes from there. It was a great way to blow off steam during midterms or finals...

Actually it was Wildhorse.  I haven't had a chance to play the muni yet... is it worth heading over there?

So you're an Aggie alum?  I nearly went there, but at the time they recruited me they were still DII and couldn't offer full scholarships.  I honestly wish I would have considered them more.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

I jokingly call myself a "professional walk-on"...............LOL...I do it alot.

I know the routine, believe me!!!!!!  Where I play, the wait is never long.  I would NEVER EVER...consider playing as a single  behind other players!!  RU kiddin?   If I can get out first.....GREAT.  I'll sometimes even play a warmup 9 and play the back before anyone turns. I love doing that.....a great way to play 27 before lunch!!!!

I enjoy pairing and playing with all types of golfers...even begiinners!!!..........If you are a higher/HC golfer and feel insecure.....put those bad thoughts to rest!!!! Lower HC players don't care what you shoot.....really...we don't care!!  So long as our/your group maintains pace...it's all good.  I dont care what you shoot......

REALLY>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Some people are paranoid/embarrassed to play with lower HC players......it's all about good company!  It really doesn't matter........... I pair up a lot.......even though our games are far apart.....we are golf buddies by the time we finish 18......what you shoot doesn't matter. The ONLY thing that kills me is being paired with THAT group that fails to maintain pace with the group ahead..................and I'll be honest it rarely happens to me as a paired single.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

That depends on course policy.  As long as the fourballs in front of him were maintaining the course pace, they were under no obligation to interrupt their play to let him through.   It is just one of many golf myths, that a single or pair has an inalienable right to play through a fourball.  That privilege is dependent on course policy and on the situation at the time.

I believe that most courses hold to the policy that a single is not entitled to expect to be allowed to play through. Most courses would prefer you join with a group that is less than 4. I have a season pass and people will often wave me thorough, and I frequently join up with other singles or twosomes already on the course. If I am not waived through I just hit two tee shots and play them both out, and keep 2 scores. Interestingly it is the less accomplished golfers who are hesitant to ask you to join them. I guess they are embarassed, it is two bad. When I catch up with or am caught by better players they almost always ask if you want to play with them, even when playing different tees. It is one of the best ways to see up close how better players get their score and how the make decisions etc.

1W Cleveland LauncherComp 10.5, 3W Touredge Exotics 15 deg.,FY Wilson 19.5 degree
4 and 5H, 6I-GW Callaway Razr, SW, LW Cleveland Cg-14, Putter Taylor Made Suzuka, Ball, Srixon XV Yellow

• 2 months later...

Sorry for reviving this but I have to vent.  I decided to play a course several miles from home the other day and in part because they take single tee times.  I have played single a lot at this course  over the last few years and have always enjoyed it.  Sometimes it is better than others but always enjoyable.  But this time I was teed with a twosome and a single who rode with me.  Well one of the twosome was  beginner, a for sure 36 handicap (who insisted on playing the tees just in front of the tips), and the course was crowded.  I tried as gently as I could to advise on etiquette on how to keep up and play ready golf.  But some how he was not getting the message (took more time that Jack N between shots) and would not agree to move up a tee.  We clearly were holding up play and people were waiting.  In the meantime my 25 handicap rider was giving me advice that I didn't ask for on my swing and play and he just would not shut up in spite of my gentle hints that I could do without his analyses.  Plus he would pick up my ball some times to make sure it was not his (after I told him it was mine) because he just couldn't understand how his ended up in the forest or rough.  Well by the time we were on 14 (4hours 30 minutes after our start, although we did let a few groups play through) and I'm pretty sure someone behind us is going to start shooting (this is Arizona after all) I give up.  I just took my bag off the cart told the fellow I was riding with he should consider given golf lessons for a living and the other two that maybe they should consider less difficult tees in the future and walked to the club house.  Well OK I fell better now and will still go single again in the future when I feel the need or can't come up with a regular partner.  But I sure hope I never have to repeat this experience again.

• Upvote 2

Butch

Some weekends I have a regular foursome but most I do not. When it's just me I use several courses websites to book online or use www.golfnow.com. I look for a slot where they need 1 or 2 players and signup. Some courses only accept 2 or more players for their online booking so they don't get my business often. Hopefully more courses will join the online signup trend and we will have more choices in the coming years.

Years ago I used to do the show up and hope they can get me out routine but that got old fast after I had very long waits a few times. It only takes one or 2 times to become a real drag.

Ive never known of a course to even make tee times for a single.  Ive always been told just to show up whenever and they would group me up with people.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Originally Posted by TitleistWI

Ive never known of a course to even make tee times for a single.  Ive always been told just to show up whenever and they would group me up with people.

That's just fine, but I've had times when I couldn't have put out a single for 3 hours because everything was reserved ahead with groups of 4.  Some of those groups included singles who used our reservation system to book their times and they were grouped with other 2 or 3 player bookings.  I've had many days where I'd have trouble getting a single walk-on on the course.  I'm quite glad that most courses around here DO take single bookings.  It give me options when I'm not playing with my friends

Rick

Originally Posted by Fourputt

That's just fine, but I've had times when I couldn't have put out a single for 3 hours because everything was reserved ahead with groups of 4.  Some of those groups included singles who used our reservation system to book their times and they were grouped with other 2 or 3 player bookings.  I've had many days where I'd have trouble getting a single walk-on on the course.  I'm quite glad that most courses around here DO take single bookings.  It give me options when I'm not playing with my friends

Id actually be totally fine if a course asked me what time I wanted to come out and then just grouped me with other people sometime around that time.  Ive had plenty of times where they asked me to hang around for a little while to wait for a 2-some or 3-some to show up for their tee time.

Whats in my :sunmountain: C-130 cart bag?

Woods: :mizuno: JPX 850 9.5*, :mizuno: JPX 850 15*, :mizuno: JPX-850 19*, :mizuno: JPX Fli-Hi #4, :mizuno: JPX 800 Pro 5-PW, :mizuno: MP T-4 50-06, 54-09 58-10, :cleveland: Smart Square Blade and :bridgestone: B330-S

Having a great year actually lol. They only get hit on weekends and every person making the tee time is aware of the policy so it's completely on them. Don't get me wrong, if they call ahead and let us know about it, we accommodate and don't charge them but if an entire four some doesn't show or a four some shows with two guys only, then we hit you.

Originally Posted by ghalfaire

This course must be doing well in this economy.  I would think this could cost the course some customers as usually when someone doesn't show for a scheduled tee time it is with good reason.

I play at least 90% of my rounds as a single. If it's busy, I expect to be paired up with a 2-3 some and usually don't have to wait long. Quite often I am sent out as a single and either pair up along the way or am allowed to play through. Tonight was a good example, teed off at local muni as a single at 4:45 and caught a 2some on 4. They let me play through on 5 and caught 2 ladies on 9. They let me play through on 10, but caught back up when 12 got slow. We paired up for the rest of the round and still walked off 18 at 8:00. A nice 3:15 round on a Sunday evening.

In my Bagboy cart bag:
Driver: TM R11s 10.5 R-flex 3W: TM 09 Burner 3H: TM 09 Burner Irons: TM Tour Burner 4-PW r-flex
Wedges: Wilson TW9 GW, Ping Eye 2+ SW, Vokey SM 58.08      Putter:TM Rossa Spider Ball: TM TP/Red LDP, TF Gamer v2   Range Finder: GX-I

I have no problem walking on but don't like to play at crowded times.  Prefer to play alone, but don't mind being put with a twosome.  I always hope to avoid being stuck with a threesome as you know you just lost an hour of your life watching three strange people duff.

Regarding carts, has anyone else here been paired with someone, and made to share a cart with them?  This happened to me once and I found it much more awkward than it otherwise would have been.  The course was almost empty since it was twilight.  The guy was nice enough but being stuck in the cart with him was incredibly uncomfortable.  I though about just walking but had paid for the cart already and didn't want to make a big deal of it.  I have not gone back to that course.

Singles in carts - do you usually have to "buddy up" or do they give you your own rides?

Originally Posted by ladders11

I have no problem walking on but don't like to play at crowded times.  Prefer to play alone, but don't mind being put with a twosome.  I always hope to avoid being stuck with a threesome as you know you just lost an hour of your life watching three strange people duff.

Regarding carts, has anyone else here been paired with someone, and made to share a cart with them?  This happened to me once and I found it much more awkward than it otherwise would have been.  The course was almost empty since it was twilight.  The guy was nice enough but being stuck in the cart with him was incredibly uncomfortable.  I though about just walking but had paid for the cart already and didn't want to make a big deal of it.  I have not gone back to that course.

Singles in carts - do you usually have to "buddy up" or do they give you your own rides?

It's a common practice that you get 2 carts per four players.  Do you think that courses have unlimited carts available?  Also, the cart fee pays for the cost and upkeep on the cart.  Single riders pay only half of the fee, but still put the same amount of wear and tear, so if a course allowed single riders as a standard policy, the cart fees would have to be higher to compensate.  The only time my home course allows a solo rider is if there is only one or three riders in a group.

Rick

Note: This thread is 4442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!