IGNORED

The 2011 British Open

mcfc_nick
Note: This thread is 4668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm saying either Clarke or Johnson will win now. They will both battle all day tomorrow. I think Fowler will also be in the mix, and maybe Kaymer.

Clarke and DJ will be the final pairing tomorrow, with Fowler and Bjorn just ahead of them. The conditions today dictated extremely conservative strategy from the contenders today; if that trend continues on the final round, then either Darren or Dustin will win. I hope someone light a fire under these guys, because this has been an excruciatingly boring day of golf.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Originally Posted by MrElculver2424

I'm saying either Clarke or Johnson will win now. They will both battle all day tomorrow. I think Fowler will also be in the mix, and maybe Kaymer.

I think it's ABC's coverage. When Tom Weiskopf is a bright spot you've got problems.

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Clarke and DJ will be the final pairing tomorrow, with Fowler and Bjorn just ahead of them. The conditions today dictated extremely conservative strategy from the contenders today; if that trend continues on the final round, then either Darren or Dustin will win. I hope someone light a fire under these guys, because this has been an excruciatingly boring day of golf.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

• Administrator

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

Fowler played great in terrible conditions and is now T3. Had he played later he might be the leader.

Of course, could Darren Clarke make a four-foot putt, he might be leading by four or five.

Our Live Chat begins tomorrow at about 8am: http://thesandtrap.com/b/pga/2011_british_open_final_round_live_chat .

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

So are you guys hoping for a stormy day again tomorrow, or nice weather?

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I hope it's clear, but a bit windy. It adds to the drama of a Sunday in the British Open.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Tomorrow's forecast is fine until midday...then it's rain/thunder for a couple of hours...anyone from Par can win this and although I think someone is going to make a charge, mid-morning, they are too far back (+4)

Going with DJ ...

TaylorMade R9 460 9.5°
TaylorMade R9 13°
TaylorMade RAC TP MB 3-PW
TaylorMade RAC TP 54°.10 / 58°.10
Scotty Cameron Studio Select Newport 2

I hope its clear. A bit of weather can make things interesting, but once conditions get fickle or drastic, I lose a lot of interest. I like to see golfers battle the course, not the atmosphere. That's far less interesting. I'm hoping for DJ. :-) Maybe the majors this year can get swept by youngsters this year.

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

I have a tough time picking one guy to pull for. I like several of the guys in contention. I just hope someone wins the thing due to good play, not because of someone puking down the stretch.

Sub 70 849 9* driver

:callaway:  Rogue 3 & 5 woods, Rogue X 4 & 5 hybrids

:tmade: SIM 2 6-gap irons

:cobra:  King snakebite grove wedges 52 & 58*

:ping: Heppler ZB3 putter

I gotta root for Rickie. All the 'over hype' talk could be put to rest.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

There are twelve players at par or better, and ten of them would have outstanding stories if they win.

• Darren Clarke (-5) and Thomas Bjorn (-2) have each come agonizingly close to winning this championship in the past, but those near misses are ancient history. Both are extremely popular amongst their peers in the game, and were lost in the golf wilderness very recently. Tomorrow, both have improbable chances of gaining the ultimate redemption.
  • Speaking of redemption, Dustin Johnson (-4) finds himself in the final pairing at a major for the third time in 13 months. He bears the scars of two bitter disappointments, one from his game betraying him when he needed it most, one from the cruelest of unforced errors. Can he rid himself of those burdens, much as Rory McIlroy did at Congressional?
  • Rickie Fowler (-2) has made a lot of noise in his short time as a professional, but all his hype has not yielded much in results. He is still learning how to win on tour, but many are becoming impatient. Good things come to those who wait, and if Fowler should emerge triumphant, no one will be snickering that it took him two years to get there.
  • Rising from obscurity to win the 2009 US Open, Lucas Glover (-1) risked falling back into those murky depths during a disappointing 2010 campaign. Compounding his struggles on the course was a divorce off of it. So, Glover responded like many men in his situation would: he got lazy and grew a beard. He looked dreadfully out of place at the beginning of 2011, both in his appearance and his performance, but then he won at Quail Hollow in May. Now, he could be the first bearded player since the days of guttie balls and hickory shafts.
  • Miguel Angel Jimenez (-1) and Davis Love III (Even) are both 47 years old, but that's where their similarities end. Jimenez's ballstriking has led him to 18 European Tour wins; Love's 20 PGA Tour wins can be largely attributed by his immense driving ability. Jimenez loves sports cars; motorcycles are Love's passion. Jimenez's idea of a good time is a fine cigar and a bottle of wine; Love would rather go skiing or windsurfing. But if either can win tomorrow, he would become the oldest Open champion in history, a standard that has been claimed by Old Tom Morris since 1867.
  • Many of golf's greatest have been foiled by a particular championship. Sam Snead never won a US Open; Arnold Palmer never won a PGA. Phil Mickelson's (Even) Achilles heel has been the Open Championship, where he has but a single top-ten finish. This year appears to be different. His swing is shorter, so to better control the ball in the wind. His lob wedge has been less of an automatic selection on the tight links turf around the greens. Now, Phil is within striking distance, and his flair for heroics can propel himself to an unlikely victory so long as he executes.
  • The world's number one and two players, both English, failed to make the cut at their home major. The world's number three player, Martin Kaymer (Even) , is still very much in contention. Martin cannot surpass Luke Donald in the rankings with a win tomorrow, but he would make a major statement as to who the best player in the game really is. Whereas Donald and Lee Westwood are both without major victories, Kaymer will have had two.
  • Not long ago, Anthony Kim (Even) was considered golf's next big thing. Since returning from a thumb injury a year ago, Kim's game has produced little more than misery. In the third round, where nobody who had taken on Royal St. George's ahead of him could keep up with Lady Par, AK held his ground. That effort moved him into the top ten, and a pairing with Mickelson late Sunday. Time will tell if Kim is back for good, but he is in this championship for one more day.

Then, there's Anders Hanson (Even) , who is as anonymous of a figure ranked 44th in the world with two European PGA Championships to his name can be, and George Coetzee (Even) , who had to qualify for this tournament, and has no career wins outside of his home of South Africa. The last thing the sports reporters want is for either of these men to win, and rob them of the great headlines they had coined for all of the other contenders.

In my UnderArmour Links stand bag...

Driver: '07 Burner 9.5° (stiff graphite shaft)
Woods: SasQuatch 17° 4-Wood (stiff graphite shaft)
Hybrid: 4DX Ironwood 20° (stiff graphite shaft)Irons/Wedges: Apex Edge 3-PW, GW, SW (stiff shaft); Carnoustie 60° LWPutter: Rossa AGSI+ Corzina...

Rickie's got the force with him. That round today was spectacular in that weather. He's gonna take over Tom Watson's mantle as no.1 American links player

A great shot is when you go for it and pull it off. A smart shot is when you don't have the guts to try it. ~ Phil Mickelson.

I'll be rotting for Rickie, but some guys I wouldn't mind seeing win include Kim, Bjorn, Jimenez, and Johnson. It would be cool to see Rory and Fowler both win their first majors in the same year, and Kim would be awesome to see win because maybe it could be the kick in the ass he needs to work on his game a bit (or he'll use it as an excuse to slack off some more). If Bjorn won the story would be great because of how close he came in 2003, and Jimenez just seems like he would be the world's most interesting Champion Golfer of the Year. Seeing Johnson win would simply be nice redemption.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Originally Posted by jamo

I'll be rotting for Rickie, but some guys I wouldn't mind seeing win include Kim, Bjorn, Jimenez, and Johnson. It would be cool to see Rory and Fowler both win their first majors in the same year, and Kim would be awesome to see win because maybe it could be the kick in the ass he needs to work on his game a bit (or he'll use it as an excuse to slack off some more). If Bjorn won the story would be great because of how close he came in 2003, and Jimenez just seems like he would be the world's most interesting Champion Golfer of the Year. Seeing Johnson win would simply be nice redemption.

Yeah it would be nice to see Johnson win as well, he has had so much bad luck in majors lately.  After seeing Clarke's interview after play today I would not mind seeing him win either.

Originally Posted by Tiger Spuds

He's gonna take over Tom Watson's mantle as no.1 American links player

That wouldn't be very hard.

I think you might be understating Watson's achievements.

That's a bit like saying that The Beatles were England's no.1 band.

Tom Watson's "mantle" is possibly the greatest links player of all time. It needs no geographical qualification.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Note: This thread is 4668 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!