IGNORED

The 2011 British Open

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

When the sun emerges above the English Channel next Sunday morning, it will appear to be shining the brightest over the British Isles, as Britons and Irishmen will constitute the majority of the names

Oh totally. All of the local news channels are going crazy. It's Clarke-mania! :-D

Got a pretty good laugh from this: Phil Mickelson Laughs Off 2nd-Place Finish, Blows Brains Out In Car | The Onion Sports Network

I'm rooting for Clarke and Jimenez. A lot of bogies for the early starters, this will be about who makes the least mistakes. A couple under par might win it.
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Improbable chances? mmm pretty sure Clarke has the 3rd round lead. Just because your knowledge of world golf is that limited to american players doesn't mean you can comment on world golf matters.

Originally Posted by Chilli Dipper

There are twelve players at par or better, and ten of them would have outstanding stories if they win.

Darren Clarke (-5) and Thomas Bjorn (-2) have each come agonizingly close to winning this championship in the past, but those near misses are ancient history. Both are extremely popular amongst their peers in the game, and were lost in the golf wilderness very recently. Tomorrow, both have improbable chances of gaining the ultimate redemption.

Sergio charging out of the pack

He's playing well, but it's probably too little too late unless all of the leaders really fall back. -2 for the day, but +2 total and he's 7 back through 5. He could make is interesting if he gets to -3, but that's asking a lot.

He's 3 under for the day and +1. He birdied 2,4 and 5. And playing a par 5 now

Originally Posted by jamo

He's playing well, but it's probably too little too late unless all of the leaders really fall back. -2 for the day, but +2 total and he's 7 back through 5. He could make is interesting if he gets to -3, but that's asking a lot.

He's 3 under for the day and +1. He birdied 2,4 and 5. And playing a par 5 now

The Golf.com leaderboard hadn't posted the third birdie by the time I posted that. I meant -3 total though, not for the day.

I know you meant that. I'm just saying he was 3 under through 5...not 2 under through 5 as you said

20 feet for eagle on number 7

Originally Posted by jamo

The Golf.com leaderboard hadn't posted the third birdie by the time I posted that. I meant -3 total though, not for the day.

I know you meant that. I'm just saying he was 3 under through 5...not 2 under through 5 as you said

20 feet for eagle on number 7

Alright, I must have read the leaderboard wrong somewhere... :doh:

Improbable chances? mmm pretty sure Clarke has the 3rd round lead. Just because your knowledge of world golf is that limited to american players doesn't mean you can comment on world golf matters.

Obviously they started with a great chance today. What's improbable is that they would both be back in the position to win the Open, when it has been nearly a decade since either contended here. Take the blinders off, my friend; I was offering some long-term perspective.

I may be off here, but it seems contrived for the announcers to suggest that DJ hitting one very poor shot on 14 is the same type of misfortune/choking that DJ had in prior majors.  It's not like he was in a position to win yet or anything.

Note: This thread is 3578 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!