IGNORED

Talk Talk Talk!!!

Duffy
Note: This thread is 4659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What do you do when one of your regular foursome won't shut up? Talks during everyones swing, talks while we're putting. Has to comment on every bad shot he makes and gives detailed description for the reason it happened. Gives constant advise on the course to help improve our game. The three of us are under 10, he is about a 25. We've asked him not to do these things but he seems not to be able to control himself. Other than shooting him, what can we do?

Duffy,

Striving every day to be the person my dogs think I am.

Driver; Ping G25, Fairway, Ping G25 3; Irons, Mizuno M59, wedges, Cleveland cg15, 54, 56, 60, Putter; See More Zack style.

Stop golfing with him.

I have a friend like that. Always talking and telling you how to fix your swing ( terrible information too ), lets you know how many shots you;re behind ( but never in front ) of him. Tries to get in your head about your game by reminding you how fast the greens are and the subtle breaks and the bunkers 'out on the left' etc

The other day he 'reminded' me I was 2 shots behind him going into the last hole. So I told him to shut up. He then said that he understands that I'm pissed off and that he would be too. So I reminded him that he has been golfing for ten years, I've been golfing for two, and that it is frustrating when you;re on the verge of beating a guy with so much more experience.

He didn't say a word afterwards and I will not be inviting him in the near future.

If he doesn't get the point - don't invite him anymore and then he'll realize

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Simply try telling him politely, much like your post but do it when not on the course.  Tell him it's distracting and all of you would appreciate him not doing it.  I'm betting that works!!!!!!

In my Nike SasQuatch Staff Bag:
Driver: Callaway FT-IQ 9.5 Stiff
Irons: Ping G5 4-P
Wedges: Vokey Spin Milled 56*, Cleveland bent to 49*
Putter: Scotty Cameron California Monterey
Ball: Srizon Z-Star Yellow
Range: SkyCaddie 2.5

I'm not so subtle. I'd pull him to one side before the day and say, "Listen, we all like golfing with you but it's been mentioned that you're talking too much during rounds, giving advice we don't want, describing what you did wrong on every shot and general chit chat and it's distracting for other people. Next time we're out make sure you cut down on the chatter and especially when people are taking shots, OK?"

Then next time you're out I'd spend the round saying "Ssshhhh!!" every time he steps out of line or , "Remember what we talked about the otehr day?".

SWING DNA
Speed [77] Tempo [5] ToeDown [5] KickAngle [6] Release [5] Mizuno JPX EZ 10.5° - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye (with Harrison ShotMaker) Mizuno JPX EZ 3W/3H - Fujikura Orochi Black Eye Mizuno JPX 850 Forged 4i-PW - True Temper XP 115 S300 Mizuno MP R-12 50.06/54.09/58.10 - Dynamic Gold Wedge Flex Mizuno MP A305 [:-P]

I play the most with my 17 year old brother, and sometimes he wants to continue our conversations as we're teeing off. I just look at him and say, "Let me hit this shot and I'll be happy to keep talking to you." It's a polite reminder to shut the hell up lol.

My Equipment:
Driver: 9.5* R9, 73g Fubuki stiff | 3wood: 15* R9 3 Wood, x-stiff shaft | Hybrid: 19* Lynx Hybrid, reg. flex | Irons: MP-68s (4i-PW), 5.5x flighted |
Wedges: 52.08*, 56.11*, & 60.07 Vokey Spin-Milled | Putter: Pixl L1.8, 33.5" | Balls: Pro V1x |

Originally Posted by Duffy

What do you do when one of your regular foursome won't shut up? Talks during everyones swing, talks while we're putting. Has to comment on every bad shot he makes and gives detailed description for the reason it happened. Gives constant advise on the course to help improve our game. The three of us are under 10, he is about a 25. We've asked him not to do these things but he seems not to be able to control himself. Other than shooting him, what can we do?

If he's a regular......you should be able to needle him pretty good and tell him to STFU.  IMO....the above is only an uncomfortable situation when it's a person you don't know well.

What's in Paul's Bag:
- Callaway Big Bertha Alpha Driver
- Big Bertha Alpha 815 3-wood
- Callaway Razr Fit 5-wood
- Callaway Big Bertha 4-5 Rescue Clubs
-- Mizuno Mx-25 six iron-gap wedge
- Mizuno Mp-T4 56degree SW
- Mizuno Mp-T11 60degree SW
- Putter- Ping Cadence Ketsch

Had a guy like that too. I would stop my preshot and look at him while he was talking, wait for him to finish before I started again. If he started talking again, I would stop again, then restart. After a while he actually caught on that I was not going to do anything while he was talking.

Never use a paragraph when a sentence will do.

I'd aplogize to him, "sorry if my golfing is interrupting your storytelling - carry on".

• Upvote 3

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

1. Ask him nicely to talk less
  2. Tell him to STFU
  3. Hit him in his shin with one of his wedges

Joe Paradiso

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Adopt the rule that there's only talking while the carts are moving (or your bag is on your back if you're a walker). I couldn't play a round in silence, but completely agree that on tee boxes, greens and during address and backswing, talking is verboten.

I'd aplogize to him, "sorry if my golfing is interrupting your storytelling - carry on".

My thumbs-up comment was supposed to be: "Let me know if the sound of me lining up my putt is too loud to talk over." but I hit enter instead of backspace... :-\

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

If the fellow has been given a "heads up" on his conduct on the course you can revert to more severe methods of making the point.  There is a rule against giving advice to another player during a round.  It is Rule 8-1 and the penalty for breach of the rule is 2 strokes or loss of hole in match play.  So if you have any money on the line penalize him every time he comments on someone's swing or other prohibited advice and he'll probably get the message.  Either that or just don't invite him to play with you again for awhile.

Butch

Originally Posted by Bug Bunny

Simply try telling him politely, much like your post but do it when not on the course.  Tell him it's distracting and all of you would appreciate him not doing it.  I'm betting that works!!!!!!

This probably the best way to handle it. If after your talk he keeps it up, stop inviting him. He'll eventually ask why and you can tell him again.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Ignore him, practice your mental game. If it really gets to you, tell him to please stop again and that it's not good etiquette. If he will not stop, tell him he's no longer welcome in your group.

"Kindness is more important than wisdom and the recognition of this is the beginning of wisdom."

I golf with a lot of people that want to give instructions on the course. I simply tell them unless youre a pro I'm not gonna listen to you!

In my  2.0 Lite bag:

Driver:  Superfast 10.5* stiff flex

3 Wood:  Superfast 2.0

4-SW: SQ Machspeed

GW:  52.08

Putter:  Rossa Daytona

There's a lot of guys like that in my league, at first it used to bother me alot, but now I have learned to block them out. There is one lady I play with regularly, she play off the mens tees with the rest of us, she doesn't talk while anyone is taking there shot but she talks to herself while taking her shot. From the time she approaches the ball she's babbling away to herself, right through the shot, very wierd to see but she hits it a mile lol.

Driver: Taylormade R9
3 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
5 Wood: Cobra S 9-1
7 Wood: Cobra S 9-1

Irons: Taylormade r7 Custom Fit (SW-4)

Putter: Taylormade Rossa Monza Spyder

Balls: Titleist Pro V1x

Note: This thread is 4659 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!