Jump to content
IGNORED

2011 WGC Bridgestone Invitational


senorchipotle
 Share

Note: This thread is 3771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Recommended Posts

I thought Stevie lacked class in that interview but I blame CBS for even giving him camera time. I don't ever remember a caddie getting an interview post tourney so I guess they wanted to create some drama. Plus based on everything it sounds like Stevie is not happy about Tiger letting him go so CBS knew that it was a perfect chance to let Williams take a dig at Tiger.

Link to comment
Share on other sites




Originally Posted by BonoVox

Nice show of class Steve Williams. You just over shadowed your bosses incredible win with your lame interview.


Anybody have a link to video or the transcript?

I will admit that this is the first time I've ever rooted against Adam Scott.  Not because I don't like him or I want him to fail, but because I figured if he won the very first tournament that Tiger had a replacement caddie and Stevie was on Scott's bag, the media would embrace the opportunity to hype up that detail.

Sure it's definitely a story-line worth mentioning, but I knew something like this (a caddie being granted an interview) would happen.  Not surprised in the least.  Curious to know what Stevie said, though.

Edit: never mind, I found an ESPN article covering it here: http://espn.go.com/golf/story/_/id/6839763/caddie-drama-continues-adam-scott-win-wgc-bridgestone-invitational

I found it funny that the headline of Scott's win reads: Steve Williams helps Scott Win.

Brandon

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Seems to me like Steve could've just kept calm and mature and he would've soaked up all kinds of praise and attention for his good week. Making a statement that seems to clearly exist only to rub it in Woods' face is fairly immature. He should've just focused on the here and now and talked about his relationship with Scott and how the week went for the two of them -- the finishing positions are public information and speak for themselves.
Link to comment
Share on other sites


I'd like to give the guy a break and see if this immature fit he appears to be throwing is short-lived.  Hopefully he eventually realizes that business and personal relationships aren't always supposed to last forever and stops taking vieled jabs at his former employer.  So I'm going to cut him some slack for this one before I start disliking the guy.

Brandon

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Good tournament for McIlroy, Donald, Fowler, Day and Westwood. They're ready for the PGA.

A so-so performance for Tiger, at least the irons are ready for next week.

Nice win for Scott, but I still can't root for someone with such a putter...and Williams should realize, that he isn't the one key factor.

Link to comment
Share on other sites




Originally Posted by Zwick

Nice win for Scott, but I still can't root for someone with such a putter....



Totally agree - not getting into the long putter arguement again, but suffice to say, not a fan because of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

My 2 cents..

1) Firestone is more then just straight holes side by side lined with trees.. Trust me, I've played it and watched the pros often.. There are plenty of elevation changes.. Aerial views are quite deceptive, even live camera shots don't give you the true feel of the course.. anyways..

2) Not sure why everyone is taking a shot at Stevie about his interview..  YES, I can see how some would say it was taking a dig at Tiger.. but is that fact, or just ones biased point of view..  Imagine being employed for over 10 years, feeling like one of the elite employees in the industry, then out of no where, you're fired.. Would it be a shock to you?  Would you question the reasoning behind it?  There are no answers to why, just that, "it is what it is".. Then you are picked up by a new company and within a month you are promoted to management level once again..  Would you not consider that one of the most important promotions in your life?  I would.. Why?  Because losing a job as Stevie did, one might start doubting themselves, or questioning what they did wrong to deserve it..

This win with Adam Scott sure was a confidence boost to both the player and the caddy.. I'm sure to both of them, at this current time, this win was the best for each.. Lets not stir the pot more, and be just as guilty as the people you are pointing fingers at..

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Agreed! Hope your post won't be ignored so that we can go back talking about the tournament as this thread is not called "Stevie's interview at the 2011 Bridgestone Invitational"!

Originally Posted by ThominOH

My 2 cents..

1) Firestone is more then just straight holes side by side lined with trees.. Trust me, I've played it and watched the pros often.. There are plenty of elevation changes.. Aerial views are quite deceptive, even live camera shots don't give you the true feel of the course.. anyways..

2) Not sure why everyone is taking a shot at Stevie about his interview..  YES, I can see how some would say it was taking a dig at Tiger.. but is that fact, or just ones biased point of view..  Imagine being employed for over 10 years, feeling like one of the elite employees in the industry, then out of no where, you're fired.. Would it be a shock to you?  Would you question the reasoning behind it?  There are no answers to why, just that, "it is what it is".. Then you are picked up by a new company and within a month you are promoted to management level once again..  Would you not consider that one of the most important promotions in your life?  I would.. Why?  Because losing a job as Stevie did, one might start doubting themselves, or questioning what they did wrong to deserve it..

This win with Adam Scott sure was a confidence boost to both the player and the caddy.. I'm sure to both of them, at this current time, this win was the best for each.. Lets not stir the pot more, and be just as guilty as the people you are pointing fingers at..



Link to comment
Share on other sites



That is a terrible reason to not be a fan.

Originally Posted by inthehole

Totally agree - not getting into the long putter arguement again, but suffice to say, not a fan because of it.





Originally Posted by Zwick

Good tournament for McIlroy, Donald, Fowler, Day and Westwood. They're ready for the PGA.

A so-so performance for Tiger, at least the irons are ready for next week.

Nice win for Scott, but I still can't root for someone with such a putter...and Williams should realize, that he isn't the one key factor.



Link to comment
Share on other sites




Originally Posted by shades9323

That is a terrible reason to not be a fan.


I disagree.  I think they should be outlawed on the PGA Tour so that I can stop not being a fan of people using them as well.

Brandon

Link to comment
Share on other sites


anyway else get annoyed with the constant barrage of useless "quips" from the crowd?

the dudes constantly screaming "get in the hole" are just morons and have the slight twang of accent that makes them sound like special needs

it wouldnt annoy me for example on the par 3's or if it was only occasionally when a player hits a wedge in, but on every damn tee box, every damn iron box, and now even sky sports has it on a few of their promo video clips

can we employ rangers to patrol the course's shooting anyone that screams this crap?

on a lighter note i did chuckle when fowler finished and some middle aged guy screamed out declaring his love for him haha

  • Upvote 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites


Didn't get to watch the event live, on tape, or even via highlights. At least I had access to "shot tracker", otherwise I'd have lost my mind.  Unfortunately I saw more interview from Steve Williams than golf. That guy needs to just shut the H up. Whether or not you like Phil and his caddie, can we admit Bones knows his role? Does anyone even know what his voice sounds like? Could anyone pick him out of a lineup?

Adam Scott has always had the most beautiful swing. Guys like him, Elkington, and DLIII have just needed a more driven, abrasive, and narcissistic caddie . . . apparently.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Note: This thread is 3771 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



  • Want to join this community?

    We'd love to have you!

    Sign Up
  • Support TST Affiliates

    TourStriker PlaneMate
    Golfer's Journal
    FlightScope Mevo
    Use the code "iacas" for 10% off Mevo after clicking this link. For Mevo+, click this link or the image above.
  • Posts

    • 1. It’s not asinine to think people should be held accountable for their decisions. Life isn’t fair. Again, people should seek wise council before making big decisions.    2. agreed that colleges take advantage of people, but it doesn’t excuse people from the consequences of their choices. I don’t think adults of sound mind can play the victim because they didn’t do their due diligence in researching their options before signing the dotted line.  3. It wasn’t a jump to make the inference from his comment. His comment was that if they would have to drop out if they didn’t have the loan. But his position was that they should be able to go anyway…to me, and I certainly could have misinterpreted his point, it seems he was saying they should be able to go regardless. To me, that sounds as if he was conveying  that people are entitled to go regardless of their ability to pay.    I 100% agreed that the system needs reform, I just disagree that loans should be forgiven. I don’t think you or I will change our minds on that. We just fundamentally disagree on the extent of someone’s personal responsibility/accountability for their choices.     
    • Sure it is, pending the situation.  You have an 18 year old, who doesn't need an parent to co-sign on a loan, being lured into signing for an expensive student loan by a college because they make it seem like its the best thing for them. So, they learn from their mistake, 10-15 years down the line when they realize the students loan debt was a bad idea?  The outcome of this decision isn't something you get instant return on as a learning situation. This isn't like placing your hand on a hot stove.  Why should the biggest mistake 17-19 year olds make be getting hit with hundreds of thousands of dollars in debt? That is just asinine thinking really.  Really, colleges are bad faith actors who are swindling people out of money with no regulatory control.  It is even worse since you can not get rid of the student debt in bankruptcy. Guess what, in the end, bankruptcy is a form of loan forgiveness. You can file for bankruptcy, sell off your assets, and the courts decide to void out a good portion of the loan amount in a lot of cases. Except for students loan debt. Which is idiotic. What makes students loan debt so special?  What about this, you get your students loan forgiven, but it hits your credit score like any other bankruptcy? You choose, to work off your students loans, or take a hit to your credit score. I think that is fair.  No one is arguing they are entitled to a degree. How did you jump to that?  I think it is because they can't be for-profit. Also, state governments can control tuition.   
    • Welcome to TST! Start with a local golf maintenance superintendent. See what their expertise is in creating a sand trap and the materials, cost, machinery, etc. They may also have a better idea of what landscape company may have that expertise. Or you may be able to hire out the maintenance staff at the course during the off season. 
    • It’s a bit of a mess some people are in with student loans.  There does need to be some accountability for the decisions individuals make on their education.  That said, I do believe there are a lot of people who are in real trouble with their loans, and there could be ways to help them and future generations that don’t involve debt forgiveness. Perhaps legislate reasonable fixed interest rates (3%)? Limits on the amount of debt a student is allowed to access for undergrad and graduate school? Mandatory high school curriculum on college, careers, cost/benefit?  (my kids actually have a class in jr high that includes this content)  There are also plenty of good paying careers and trades that don’t require much college, if any. A lot of state schools do a better job at keeping costs down for in-state tuition (with it being free in some states).  Choice of school could obviously be a huge savings/debt reduction.  I’m not sure how appropriate legislation is to control private school tuition. Parents, be involved.  If your child decides to pursue a degree in basket weaving… tell them it’s crazy.  If that’s their passion, don’t push college, tell them to just go get a job at a basket company… plus there’s a great golf course in OH right by Longaberger Basket Company! From a personal perspective… My oldest wants to be an elementary school teacher (which could always change).  We’ve had the conversations already that she should be looking at lower cost state schools, as she’s likely not going to make a substantial amount of money if she went that route.  Now, if she wanted to be a CFO or something, it would make sense to consider an MS from a program at the likes of Wharton.  That said, I’m a finance exec and I didn’t take the premier university route.
  • Today's Birthdays

    1. Augie
      Augie
      (63 years old)
    2. Dukes1304
      Dukes1304
      (36 years old)
    3. Mmgolfwiz
      Mmgolfwiz
      (58 years old)

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...