IGNORED

Cobra's next driver, "Long Tom"

mvmac
Note: This thread is 4390 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Originally Posted by Domenic

Provided you put a decent swing on it, no problems. Especially to all who play blade irons.

What on earth are you talking about?

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by jamo

How much actually does a light grip change the weight anyways? Won't it actually increase the swing weight?

I can't find any specs on the grips, but just playing with the numbers....  269g total club weight.  Advertised shaft weight of 50g (although I've seen other ads for that shaft at 55-59g, so who knows for sure).  That leaves 219g.  Figure about .5g for a ferule and epoxy, and another .5 for grip tape; 218g left over.  Although I haven't seen specs for the head, I"ll wager a guess of 200g.  That leaves 18g for the grip.  Typical grips are about 50g.  WinnLite grips are about 25g.  So with this being a shorter grip (so you can't grip down), 18g would seem about right for this grip.

I also saw where someone measured the swing weight at E2!!

For that price, I could build 3-5 nice drivers!

• Informative 1

Originally Posted by Shorty

What on earth are you talking about?

I mean to say, like a blade iron, if you swing it well, you'll have no problems. if you swing a 48 inch driver well, it will go long and straight, it's just harder to do that than a 45 inch, just like blade and cavity back

"It's better to burn out than to fade away." -Kurt Cobain

Well, Taylormade had no problem selling drivers with increased shaft length, so isn't it logical for some company to take it to the limit at 48''? I bet they will be a big seller. And I think the "raw" look is totally cool. That being said, of course they will be tough to hit and not worth getting if you are trying to lower your scores.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Wow. Thank goodness the 48" limit exists. What I find interesting is that a couple of the selling points of the club are things that could be done to your existing club. The shaft? Why not put a 48" in your current driver? The grip? Why not put that grip on your current driver -- and what about those that don't want the stock OEM grip on the Long Tom? 48" is ridiculous. And the funny thing is that 2" of shaft is only good for about another, what, 10 yards at most? And that's assuming that you don't slow your swing speed down a little because of the extra bit of inertia you have to overcome in your downswing. I cut my driver down to 44.5" from 46.25" and I'm hitting it as far as I ever did. And it's still hard to hit the middle of the clubface. :-D

"Golf is an entire game built around making something that is naturally easy - putting a ball into a hole - as difficult as possible." - Scott Adams

Mid-priced ball reviews: Top Flight Gamer v2 | Bridgestone e5 ('10) | Titleist NXT Tour ('10) | Taylormade Burner TP LDP | Taylormade TP Black | Taylormade Burner Tour | Srixon Q-Star ('12)

• 2 weeks later...

I play a 48 " driver and don`t see the big deal . I can draw,fade,high,low... no problem . When I find a particularly tight fairway or landing zone I just club down . It isn`t magic people ,practice once in a while .

• Like 1

cleveland Hibore xls 8.5* driver
Cleveland Hiborexls 13* 3 wood
Ping S 56
Nike oz putter

Originally Posted by snofrog

I play a 48 " driver and don`t see the big deal . I can draw,fade,high,low... no problem . When I find a particularly tight fairway or landing zone I just club down . It isn`t magic people ,practice once in a while .

No problem? Really.

Draw, fade, high, low.....

Sounds like you've got it figured out nicely.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

Originally Posted by Shorty

No problem? Really.

Draw, fade, high, low.....

Sounds like you've got it figured out nicely.

it is the nicest driver I have ever hit . as a matter of fact . my golf buddy told me everything you guy`s are saying here in this thread . being stubborn I got it anyway lol . it took about a month before I was comfortable with it . well after seeing me hit . my buddy wanted to try it . he now has an identical driver in his bag . is it for everyone ? naa but dont throw it under the bus until you try one

Ping S 56
Nike oz putter

it is the nicest driver I have ever hit . as a matter of fact . my golf buddy told me everything you guy`s are saying here in this thread . being stubborn I got it anyway lol . it took about a month before I was comfortable with it . well after seeing me hit . my buddy wanted to try it . he now has an identical driver in his bag . is it for everyone ? naa but dont throw it under the bus until you try one

I tried one yesterday. To me it felt like last year's TM Burner SuperFace. Just awkwardly long.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I have in the past tried long drivers.  I found I didn't like them for two reasons.  The first was that they seemed to require a different (slower) rhythm than the standard length clubs and so you end up with one club that has to be swung different than the rest.  Could never get used to that.  It didn't seem to yield lower scores for me.

The second reason was that I had to take the driver out of the bag to get it into my MR2's trunk.

Butch

I reshafted a TM 360ti head at 48" with a jumbo grip for a friend of mine, he's 6' 5" or so and he loves it.  I told him about the Long Tom but he absolutely will not think about "upgrading".  I have tried his driver, and the combination of that grip and that length feels very awkward to me.  If I used it all the time I might get better with it.  On the other hand I could learn to walk the course wearing size 14 shoes but I doubt it would lower my scores.

I went to the local golf store today for a putter grip and looked at the Long Tom . it was a bit tough on the eyes but felt nice . I would deffinately want a more open face but I`m sure some will like it . I found it funny that they were all on the front row of the rack and the grips were touching the floor

Ping S 56
Nike oz putter

• 1 month later...

Originally Posted by B-Con

Wow. Thank goodness the 48" limit exists.

What I find interesting is that a couple of the selling points of the club are things that could be done to your existing club. The shaft? Why not put a 48" in your current driver? The grip? Why not put that grip on your current driver -- and what about those that don't want the stock OEM grip on the Long Tom?

48" is ridiculous. And the funny thing is that 2" of shaft is only good for about another, what, 10 yards at most? And that's assuming that you don't slow your swing speed down a little because of the extra bit of inertia you have to overcome in your downswing.

I cut my driver down to 44.5" from 46.25" and I'm hitting it as far as I ever did. And it's still hard to hit the middle of the clubface.

Like the guy earlier that said he could make 3-5 drivers for that price. Im sure you could get away with that if you bought a terribly cheap shaft and could reshaft the club yourself and regrip the club yourself...but if you intend on getting a quality shaft that's more than half the cost of the driver alone.

If you reshaft drivers with longer shafts that were built for shorter shafts you have a messed up lie angle. Longer shaft will make the club look like its sitting on its heel. Plus could be more susceptible to mis hits or when mishit can react in the most uncommon way and have you dropping next to the fairway. Also ppl were saying a light grip means a heavier swing weight but they thinned the face alot as well as made the club smaller. Anybody realize this isn't a 460cc head? (445) I like the idea and a guy mentioned cutting it down will just make it lighter im considering this club but my only concern is the sound. I started with the loudest driver in history Wilson staff spine. Now im playing a deep face "thwack" driver. I don't want anything boisterous. Or "tingy"...

that's why im considering the Cleveland classic as well.

Originally Posted by snofrog

As a 17 handicap, I doubt this.

:tmade: SLDR X-Stiff 12.5°
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Wood Stiff
:nike:VRS Covert 3 Hybrid Stiff
:nike:VR Pro Combo CB 4 - PW Stiff 2° Flat
:cleveland:588RTX CB 50.10 GW
:cleveland:588RTX CB 54.10 SW
:nike:VR V-Rev 60.8 LW
:nike:Method 002 Putter

Originally Posted by handlez42

Quote:

Originally Posted by B-Con

Wow. Thank goodness the 48" limit exists.

What I find interesting is that a couple of the selling points of the club are things that could be done to your existing club. The shaft? Why not put a 48" in your current driver? The grip? Why not put that grip on your current driver -- and what about those that don't want the stock OEM grip on the Long Tom?

48" is ridiculous. And the funny thing is that 2" of shaft is only good for about another, what, 10 yards at most? And that's assuming that you don't slow your swing speed down a little because of the extra bit of inertia you have to overcome in your downswing.

I cut my driver down to 44.5" from 46.25" and I'm hitting it as far as I ever did. And it's still hard to hit the middle of the clubface.

Like the guy earlier that said he could make 3-5 drivers for that price. Im sure you could get away with that if you bought a terribly cheap shaft and could reshaft the club yourself and regrip the club yourself...but if you intend on getting a quality shaft that's more than half the cost of the driver alone.

If you reshaft drivers with longer shafts that were built for shorter shafts you have a messed up lie angle. Longer shaft will make the club look like its sitting on its heel. Plus could be more susceptible to mis hits or when mishit can react in the most uncommon way and have you dropping next to the fairway. Also ppl were saying a light grip means a heavier swing weight but they thinned the face alot as well as made the club smaller. Anybody realize this isn't a 460cc head? (445) I like the idea and a guy mentioned cutting it down will just make it lighter im considering this club but my only concern is the sound. I started with the loudest driver in history Wilson staff spine. Now im playing a deep face "thwack" driver. I don't want anything boisterous. Or "tingy"...

that's why im considering the Cleveland classic as well.

It's approximately 3% smaller?

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I'm actually pretty interested in this club. I'm curious about hitting it at 48" but I doubt I'd keep it there. I'm more interested in the head. I like the look and size of it and would like to try it with a different shaft at a shorter length. Over on another forum, someone swapped the shaft to an Aldila RIP Alpha and cut it to 45". That sounds like it'd be a fun driver.

In the Ogio Chamber Cart Bag w/ Ogio X4 Synergy Push Cart: Driver: Adams Super LS 7.5* w/ Harrison Striper H2 60x Fairway: Adams Tight Lies 16* Fairway Wood w/ Harrison Mugen Black 70x Irons: Adams Idea Pro Black CB1 Irons w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (3-PW) Wedges: Yururi Raw Gekku w/ Project X 6.0 Flighted Steel Shafts (53, 57, & 61) Putter: Never Compromise Gambler Straight Ball: Srixon Z-Star/Z-Star XV Tour Yellow GPS: Garmin Approach G6 Shoes: True Linkswear

Note: This thread is 4390 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!