IGNORED

My Swing (Ernest Jones)

Ernest Jones
Note: This thread is 2931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I hate the driving range. Wish they sold little buckets at my closest range, 70 is way too many and I lose focus and start sucking. Hit 10 1/4 swings with my 56* then 5 1/4 swings with my 6i. All good. Next 20 balls just alternated between 6i and 4h, working on my face angle and curvature. Hitting it great, high and soaring. Then I starts getting sweaty, harder to grip club, harder to swing easy, harder to focus. Started hitting low burners and even slices. Dropped back down to partial swings with a wedge, ok but not great. I think I get much more out of practicing with a net. This happened a few weeks ago at the range too, went out the next day and played fine so no worries, but I think from now on I'm only using ranges where I can get a small 25-35 ball bucket. 70 range balls is counterproductive for me. I never hit 70 balls in one session at home in a net. Short, focused practice does me much better than long, ball bashing sessions. Shoulda just went to the course.

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I'm like you, I don't need a large bucket for practice. If I end up with too many balls left, I'll start pitching balls with different clubs than usual, or intentionally hit big hooks and slices. Practice some knock down shots, stuff like that. Just breaks the routine up a little bit and keeps it interesting.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

I hate the driving range. Wish they sold little buckets at my closest range, 70 is way too many and I lose focus and start sucking. Hit 10 1/4 swings with my 56* then 5 1/4 swings with my 6i. All good. Next 20 balls just alternated between 6i and 4h, working on my face angle and curvature. Hitting it great, high and soaring. Then I starts getting sweaty, harder to grip club, harder to swing easy, harder to focus. Started hitting low burners and even slices. Dropped back down to partial swings with a wedge, ok but not great.

I think I get much more out of practicing with a net. This happened a few weeks ago at the range too, went out the next day and played fine so no worries, but I think from now on I'm only using ranges where I can get a small 25-35 ball bucket. 70 range balls is counterproductive for me. I never hit 70 balls in one session at home in a net. Short, focused practice does me much better than long, ball bashing sessions.

Shoulda just went to the course.

Towards the end of a practice session I like to play made up holes or ones I normally play. I gauge my score by how well I hit the shot.

Let's say I save 20 balls or more to play a few imaginary holes. I will start with a 520 yd par 5 in my mind first. If I hit the drive flush and to my target on the range give myself the average yardage and subtract from the 520. If I hit it poorly, I pitch it to one of the 50 yard flags to get it back on the fairway using a knock down shot and average your yardage. Then proceed to play out the distances with the correct clubs. It gives you a little "fun" practicing by kind of like playing. You can do it at the net as well but you don't get the same feed back of course.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I've just never been great on the range. You know how many threads there are about "how do I take my range swing to the course?", lol, well I'm the opposite. Which is fine by me, **** the range, I have unlimited playing privileges. :-P

Yours in earnest, Jason.

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

I guess I'm lucky then that the largest baskets of balls at my local range is only 20! If you want any more you have to go back up for seconds! Only problem is the mat are s**t, the balls are s**t and there is barely space to film swings. Practice nets are for sure the way to practice for those of us who get good instruction (i.e. know their pieces) and have access to high-speed video to keep tabs on progress

Henry

I am the same way. I can warm up and hit 20 to 30 shots in a row that look perfect. Once I get a sweat going I start flying everywhere and the big push fades come into play. I usually hit my best shots before I am even warmed up. I've always have had a really active lower body and when I get going man my hips start sliding everywhere.

Just taking a little looksee. Nice thread ya got here. Swing's comin' along nicely.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

• Administrator

Just taking a little looksee. Nice thread ya got here. Swing's comin' along nicely.

Je suis d'accord.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...

I just bought a 2004 Cleveland Launcher 330cc driver for $3.00! Near mint condition. Needs a new grip but other than that it's in great shape! Haven't hit it yet, but shit, for $3 I can't really go wrong. I paid for it with a handful of change I dug out of my front pocket, lol.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

I just bought a 2004 Cleveland Launcher 330cc driver for $3.00! Near mint condition. Needs a new grip but other than that it's in great shape! Haven't hit it yet, but shit, for $3 I can't really go wrong. I paid for it with a handful of change I dug out of my front pocket, lol.

You still got ripped off :-P

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

I hope it was only $3 Canadian , and not 3 real dollars! :-P

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

• 1 month later...

Depending on the weather over the next little while this may have been the second to last putt of the season. A 30 footer to less than an inch. :aimpoint: FTW.

Little ****er just wouldn't drop.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• Administrator

Depending on the weather over the next little while this may have been the second to last putt of the season. A 30 footer to less than an inch.  FTW.

Little ****er just wouldn't drop.

So you missed that putt? :)

Cuz that's how that reads. :D

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

So you missed that putt? :)

Cuz that's how that reads. :D

Lol, no, the second to last putt of the season was the 30 footer to less than an inch, that was the little ****er that wouldn't drop for me. The last putt of the season was a one inch tap-in, which I made.

No rain in the forecast tomorrow so I'll probably play. :-)

Yours in earnest, Jason.

• 2 weeks later...

Played my final 9 holes of the season yesterday. Really had my priority piece clicking, exploding that shoulder up and back. Shot a +8, breaking bogey golf for the first time! I was +3 through 6 holes and could have gone really low but I knocked my approach OB on the 7th hole and couldn't recover. Really sweet feeling impact all day, just flush as can be. Now I gotta figure out how to keep working through the winter. Going to try to get out to the local simulator place at twice a month so I can maintain some semblance of my swing for next season. Maybe just do tons of slow mirror work through the winter. Got some great feels.

Backswing - Slightly favour lead foot at address. See the ball with both hands going back. Feel arms stay straight until they have to bend STOP THERE!

Downswing - Add pressure to lead foot and explode shoulder up and back. Feels a bit like I'm coming under.

Swing to the target. Feel like path is neutral or risk hooking it.

Driver - Set-up is HUGELY important. Hips forward, head back. ***

Think I'll also make the jump to Urethane balls next season. Callaway Hex Chromes can be had pretty cheap on the recycled ball market.

Yours in earnest, Jason.

Played my final 9 holes of the season yesterday. Really had my priority piece clicking, exploding that shoulder up and back. Shot a +8, breaking bogey golf for the first time! I was +3 through 6 holes and could have gone really low but I knocked my approach OB on the 7th hole and couldn't recover. Really sweet feeling impact all day, just flush as can be. Now I gotta figure out how to keep working through the winter. Going to try to get out to the local simulator place at twice a month so I can maintain some semblance of my swing for next season. Maybe just do tons of slow mirror work through the winter. Got some great feels.

Backswing - Slightly favour lead foot at address. See the ball with both hands going back. Feel arms stay straight until they have to bend STOP THERE!

Downswing - Add pressure to lead foot and explode shoulder up and back. Feels a bit like I'm coming under.

Swing to the target. Feel like path is neutral or risk hooking it.

Driver - Set-up is HUGELY important. Hips forward, head back. ***

Think I'll also make the jump to Urethane balls next season. Callaway Hex Chromes can be had pretty cheap on the recycled ball market.

Nice job. Good way to end your season!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 2931 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!