IGNORED

Your Workout Today

iacas

Since summer, I was very much "jogging in place" with regards to weight loss, other than morning walks (which really just helped me keep my weight where it was) and weight lifting.  Today was a 135 lb bench press and then a ~29 mile bike ride.  During the ride, I listened to, among other things, an episode of Fit for Golf podcast, and that reminded me, I need to sign up for that app and do the workouts he prescribes (mid-season ones, this time, of course). 

Hopefully in the upcoming school year I'll be able to maintain working out.  This one took a lot out of me.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

20 hours ago, Shindig said:

Since summer, I was very much "jogging in place" with regards to weight loss, other than morning walks (which really just helped me keep my weight where it was) and weight lifting.  Today was a 135 lb bench press and then a ~29 mile bike ride.  During the ride, I listened to, among other things, an episode of Fit for Golf podcast, and that reminded me, I need to sign up for that app and do the workouts he prescribes (mid-season ones, this time, of course). 

Hopefully in the upcoming school year I'll be able to maintain working out.  This one took a lot out of me.

Great Job  ! If you are looking to lose weight, I would pay more attention to your diet than your exercise program. Eat foods that will not only help you lose weight, but also add to your overall health. At least that has been my experience. 

1 hour ago, JCrane said:

Great Job  ! If you are looking to lose weight, I would pay more attention to your diet than your exercise program. Eat foods that will not only help you lose weight, but also add to your overall health. At least that has been my experience. 

Yep.  That's a behavioral change I made a year ago and it helped.  However, during the school year I would sometimes eat on campus, have fast food during a busy time, that sort of thing -- while I have no such excuses in the summer.  The walking, biking, and lifting are all for non-weight-loss reasons.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

28 minutes ago, Shindig said:

Yep.  That's a behavioral change I made a year ago and it helped.  However, during the school year I would sometimes eat on campus, have fast food during a busy time, that sort of thing -- while I have no such excuses in the summer.  The walking, biking, and lifting are all for non-weight-loss reasons.

That works !don't get discouraged. It is a life lone process

Just now, JCrane said:

That works !don't get discouraged. It is a life lone process

life long process

If you want a dense source of information on weight lifting pending what you are looking for (power, strength, endurance). This podcast was really good. 

Episode-Card-65-Andy-Galpin.jpg

My guest is Dr. Andy Galpin, Professor of Kinesiology at California State University, Fullerton, and one of the foremost experts in the world on the...

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

I heard that trying to hit +90% your HR Max is a good thing to do a couple times a week. 

I got loose on the treadmill for about 10 minutes, increasing the incline and speed ever 3 minutes. Then I got into a jog for for a bit. Then I ramped it up to 9-10 mph sprint on a 4% incline. I used my Apple Watch to monitor my HR. I would get it up to 165+ HR. For my age, 185 HR Max is common. So, that is in that 90% range. I would let the HR get back down to 145, then jump back on to get it back up to 165. I did this 3x. 

Then I went and did some leg presses and sat in the sauna for like 15 minutes. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:

Four sprints peaking my HR at 165+

Core workout to help stabilize my back. It’s been bothering me the past 5 days. Really low, like near tailbone area. 

15-20 minutes in a 230 dry sauna (they keep it crazy hot at the gym). Raising the body temperature has very good effect on mood. such that it does better in double blind studies compared to the antidepressants. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Sunday Morning Workout: June 19, 2022

6 AM:  40 minutes indoor rowing intervals, 5600 meters. Resistance band strength training, 3x10. 20 minutes indoor spinning cooldown activity. One muscle milk protein shake after the workout.  I will play 9 holes of golf in the afternoon.

9 hours ago, saevel25 said:

Four sprints peaking my HR at 165+

Core workout to help stabilize my back. It’s been bothering me the past 5 days. Really low, like near tailbone area. 

15-20 minutes in a 230 dry sauna (they keep it crazy hot at the gym). Raising the body temperature has very good effect on mood. such that it does better in double blind studies compared to the antidepressants. 

I have the same. Get an exercise ball , a large one and lay on your back and roll on it reversing the curve of your spine. that should help

Morning workout at 6 AM:  30 minutes indoor spinning intervals. Circuit weight training free weights 3x10. 10 minutes indoor rowing cool down activity.

Lunchtime workout 12:00 PM:  20 minutes indoor rowing intervals. Followed by drinking a muscle milk protein shake.

Evening workout  5:00 PM:  Driving range practice, followed by 15 minutes indoor spinning cool down activity.

I did a sample workout from Fit for Golf.  I liked it and am going to subscribe. 

The exercises I did are from this page: 

Speed-Golf.png

Spread the loveIf golf is slow walking with lots of breaks, decision making, and golf shots, then why do some individuals put such an emphasis on cardio for golf? Is Cardio for Golf Important? Physical conditioning has...

I know he says to discount cardio, but I do enjoy my morning walks and evening bike rides.  I should start tracking clubhead speed (period, and) if I discover that I am, in fact, getting worse at golf because of one or both of these activities, I will cut them out.

• Thumbs Up 1

-- Michael | My swing! 

1 hour ago, Shindig said:

I did a sample workout from Fit for Golf.  I liked it and am going to subscribe. 

The exercises I did are from this page: 

Speed-Golf.png

Spread the loveIf golf is slow walking with lots of breaks, decision making, and golf shots, then why do some individuals put such an emphasis on cardio for golf? Is Cardio for Golf Important? Physical conditioning has...

I know he says to discount cardio, but I do enjoy my morning walks and evening bike rides.  I should start tracking clubhead speed (period, and) if I discover that I am, in fact, getting worse at golf because of one or both of these activities, I will cut them out.

I think Mike means that the golf specific work for power doesn’t need a cardio element. Cardio is still important but not for improving power and speed in the golf swing. 

• Informative 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 3 weeks later...

Yesterday, I did sprints at lunch, then played 2 hours of volleyball in the evening. I didn't hydrate properly, so I was just exhausted this morning. 

Walked 3 miles at lunch today. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag

Today, I did in-season workout #3 (that's the name of the workout set) from Fit for Golf.

I also walked 6 miles in the morning, although I'm not sure this counts as a workout or not (it's something I do many mornings because I wake up early and it helps me get ready for the day).

-- Michael | My swing! 

On 11/14/2011 at 11:48 PM, bunkerputt said:

Yesterday was a standard Monday workout for me: chest, arms, shoulders, abs and obliques.  I usually swing the club a lot on the weekends, so I schedule my back stability and power work mid week to give me some time to recover.  Monday is a little bit of a "take it easy" workout for me.

• 10 minutes on the elliptical varying incline and resistance to get warm
  • 5 minutes of dumbbell flies, chest press using 30lbs/arm (warmup and mobility)
  • Light stretching most muscle groups to rough count of 10 or whenever I feel them loosen
  • Dumbbell press on stability ball 20x50lbs/arm, alternating arms up with varying elbow positions
  • Roll down the ball and do 15 incline dumbbell press with the same weight
  • Grab 10lbs and do some rotary lateral shoulder raises and other shoulder movements to get them extra warm
  • Balance on the ball on knees and do 25x30lbs/arm overhead dumbbell shoulder press
  • Back to the dumbbell press, same thing as before, I may switch weight at this point
  • Balance on the ball and do dumbbell flies
  • Supermans on the ball
  • Sit on the ball and do dumbbell tricep extensions alternating elbow position
  • Back to the dumbbell flies
  • Get in a push-up position with feet on the ball and do knees to elbows alternating
  • Tricep extensions on the cable machine
  • 12x100lbs/arm incline dumbbell press
  • Light stretching and massage
  • Atomic dumbbell flies (I made this term up I think biggrin.png ) .  Balance knees on the ball and alternate lateral raise, bend over lateral raise, raise up, bring arms in front and alternate arms lifting the dumbbell straight up in front of you. Maybe 20x30lbs/arm
  • Same thing but grab the 7.5lbs/arm and do it to exhaustion (lots of core here, especially in the front position)
  • Kettle ball throws with each arm
  • Medicine ball oblique work on ball
  • 10lbs/arm shoulder stability work (all axes on ball)
  • Light stretching

I don't stop between sets so it takes about an hour.  I also don't have any of this written down anywhere except here, so it probably changes some.  Goal is to challenge myself somewhat every workout.

Thanks for sharing the tips

Total body stretch after a nice walk outside to warm up. Legs, Core workout plus hand-wrist-elbow workout.

I tweaked my lower left trapezius after my first range session two weeks ago. You'd think I'd be down about this, but I knew the weakest link in the chain would show itself pretty early on in my return to the game. I just didn't know where. Turns out, it's my lower left trap. Doing rehab on it regularly. 

Good news is that my workouts are mostly unaffected. I just can't really twist a whole lot, so no oblique twists, minimal golf swings, etc. I am still doing mirror work though, so it's not totally stopping me from practicing golf. This injury is reminding me how weak my posterior chain is, so I'm drawing up workouts now to address this better. It's been a lot of fun since I enjoy planning out my workouts for the week in advance. I'm structuring everything as optimally as I possibly can.

In other news, my left shoulder feels pretty good, and that's finally allowing me to work my chest. Did a bunch of pushups the other day and that felt awesome. It's such a privilege to be able to exercise without pain. I definitely appreciate being able to work on my body like a normal healthy person. 

Hopefully my mid-back heals sooner rather than later. I'm definitely not resting it much either. Lots of rehab, massage, heat, walking, etc. I've had my DPT and my acupuncturist look at it and neither are concerned it's serious, and I tend to agree. My new injury policy is to do as much as I can everyday without aggravating it, and so far, my body seems to be responding well to the challenges I give it.

Every time I workout I know it increases the probability I will be able to play golf regularly like a normal, healthy person. That's the huge motivating factor in how hard I work now on my body. 16+ months into this body recomposition journey and counting. I wish I was farther along by this point, but I'm happy I've come this far at all.

Tomorrow if I feel good will be arms, chest, back, shoulders. Excited for it already.

Edited by JetFan1983
  • Thumbs Up 1

Constantine

16 minutes ago, JetFan1983 said:

Total body stretch after a nice walk outside to warm up. Legs, Core workout plus hand-wrist-elbow workout.

I tweaked my lower left trapezius after my first range session two weeks ago. You'd think I'd be down about this, but I knew the weakest link in the chain would show itself pretty early on in my return to the game. I just didn't know where. Turns out, it's my lower left trap. Doing rehab on it regularly. 

Good news is that my workouts are mostly unaffected. I just can't really twist a whole lot, so no oblique twists, minimal golf swings, etc. I am still doing mirror work though, so it's not totally stopping me from practicing golf. This injury is reminding me how weak my posterior chain is, so I'm drawing up workouts now to address this better. It's been a lot of fun since I enjoy planning out my workouts for the week in advance. I'm structuring everything as optimally as I possibly can.

In other news, my left shoulder feels pretty good, and that's finally allowing me to work my chest. Did a bunch of pushups the other day and that felt awesome. It's such a privilege to be able to exercise without pain. I definitely appreciate being able to work on my body like a normal healthy person. 

Hopefully my mid-back heals sooner rather than later. I'm definitely not resting it much either. Lots of rehab, massage, heat, walking, etc. I've had my DPT and my acupuncturist look at it and neither are concerned it's serious, and I tend to agree. My new injury policy is to do as much as I can everyday without aggravating it, and so far, my body seems to be responding well to the challenges I give it.

Every time I workout I know it increases the probability I will be able to play golf regularly like a normal, healthy person. That's the huge motivating factor in how hard I work now on my body. 16+ months into this body recomposition journey and counting. I wish I was farther along by this point, but I'm happy I've come this far at all.

Tomorrow if I feel good will be arms, chest, back, shoulders. Excited for it already.

I like what you said here on several levels. One is that you stretched. I rarely here that term on this forum. The other thing I heard was how you are dealing with injuries. You are listening to your body and working with what it gives you . So many times people either try to push through an injury or just give up and don't do anything. Two suggestions keep the movement slow so you can feel what is going on and maybe try an inversion table for your back to decompress the spine.  I am only an average golfer so I never offer suggestion on golf but this is an area I am familiar with . Keep up the good work

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JCrane said:

I like what you said here on several levels. One is that you stretched. I rarely here that term on this forum. The other thing I heard was how you are dealing with injuries. You are listening to your body and working with what it gives you . So many times people either try to push through an injury or just give up and don't do anything. Two suggestions keep the movement slow so you can feel what is going on and maybe try an inversion table for your back to decompress the spine.  I am only an average golfer so I never offer suggestion on golf but this is an area I am familiar with . Keep up the good work

At the beginning of June I threw out my back and have been seeing a chiropractor since.   His comments, suggestions and homework was more stretching.     This is an area where I need some significant work.   I played golf once the first three weeks of June.   Motrin is a godsend but I've returned to using my inversion table, not sitting as much and trying to stretch about one hour each night while watching TV.   Some days are better than others but I believe I'm starting to see some progress.   

Your comment here is spot on!

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny