IGNORED

Your Workout Today

iacas

Jumped rope for a warm up. 3x10 Kettelbell swings.

This is the cleanest protein powder I found. http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008H7DYJ2/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s02?ie=UTF8&psc;=1

I used to get the Biotrust that @mvmac mentioned. It is good also.

I no longer count my calories or macros. I just try to eat clean. I stay away from processed food and eat low carb.

Doug

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

How long does a bottle last you because at this point, I'd probably have to drink two or three shakes a day to get enough protein in me.

For me a bottle lasts 3-4 weeks. As others have said I would recommend getting most of your protein from meat.

Eating a high amount of protein and in a caloric deficit will typically result in a low carb-ish diet. This doesn't mean carbs should be completely cut out or that they're "bad". It just makes it much easier to create a deficit and to feel satiated. It's important for your metabolism to still feel full even though you're eating less. You'll also like what you see with the scale at first because you'll be losing a good amount of water weight.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Eating a high amount of protein and in a caloric deficit will typically result in a low carb-ish diet.

Sometimes that's the case, but it's not a necessity. I'm down all the way to 1,600 calories right now, but I'm getting 100 g of carbs a day. It all depends on how the diet is constructed.

Ryan M

The Internet Adjustment Formula:
IAD = ( [ADD] * .96 + [EPS] * [1/.12] ) / (1.15)

IAD = Internet Adjusted Distance (in yards)
ADD = Actual Driver Distance (in yards)
EPS = E-Penis Size (in inches)

Sometimes that's the case, but it's not a necessity. I'm down all the way to 1,600 calories right now, but I'm getting 100 g of carbs a day. It all depends on how the diet is constructed.

100 grams counts as low carb-ish ;-)

Today's workout

8 sets

Bench 155lb x5

Pull ups x3

Max trap bar presses

and KB class

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Today again

30 minutes elliptical

30minutes bike

Leg extension 3x20 55#

Seated leg curl 3x20 55
Lat pulldown 3x20 60#
Fly 3x20 70#
Abdominal 3x20 55#
Leg press 3x20 85#
Back extension 3x20 70#
Rotary torso 3x20 70#
Calf extension 3x20 55# l
Tricep extension 3x20  40#
Bicep Curl 3x15 25#
Shoulder press 3x15 40#
Seated rowing 3x15 40#
Chest Press 3x20 30#
Plus a lot more walking to come yet today

Don

Took up golf late in life with a lot to catch up. 

Squat 210x5x3 Bench 145x5x3 Deadlift 295x5 All 5 rep PRs for me. Took a week off to shake some lingering soreness and came back stronger than ever.

- Mark

100 grams counts as low carb-ish

I suppose we have different definitions. When I'm low carb on a deficit, I'm at like 10 g of carbs a day haha. Ketogenic diet can be very fun...nothin' like bacon and cheeseburgers all the time!

Feeling better. Did some heavy squats and ab work.

Was concerned about the heavy weight on my back, but did a few 6 rep sets of 255, and had 0 pain or discomfort. Hopefully a good sign...will monitor tomorrow...

Went to the chiropractor twice...got some x-rays, had two adjustments. Found out my insurance doesn't cover anything until I reach my deductable, so I will not be back lol (almost $400 later...)

Ryan M

Dumbbell Squats - 40lbs - 3 sets x 12 reps - I found this to be pretty hard.  I think I'll keep doing this weight.
Lunges - 40lbs - 3 sets x 12 reps - I also found this to be pretty hard.  I think I'll keep doing this weight.
Calf Raises - 40lbs - 3 sets x 12 reps - I found this not to be that difficult.  I think I'll up the weight on this next time by 10 lbs.
Dumbbell Deadlifts - 40lbs - 3 sets x 12 reps - Don't know if this was b/c of the squats & lunges but very hard by 3rd set.

I think I overdid the weight on the dumbbell curls because my left arm is in pain and not the sore pain that comes from working out but pain pain.  When I did it, I did 15 pounds so will try 10 pounds.

My right shoulder and the muscle behind my right rib cage (not sure what it's called) are also in a bit of pain but not as much.  I'm going to lessen the weight by 5 pounds from the other workouts I did on Monday and see if I feel the same pain two days after those workouts.

I loaded up on carbs today.  My goal was 148 and I ended up at 260 by day's end.  Had a ham and egg sandwich on an English muffin this morning along with a chicken ranch sandwich from Dunkin Donuts because I had something important I had to do this afternoon and knew I wasn't going to be able to eat lunch until later in the day.  Hello 105 carbs.  Then I had sushi for lunch for another 100 carbs.  That put me way over already so to top it off I had a little chicken alfredo with 3 Heineken Lights at an event I went to tonight.  Bad bad bad.

I'm still struggling with getting enough protein.  157 which is closer than I've been getting to 192.5 but obv. not enough.

I ended up getting this for workouts because the guy at GNC said it was as good as ON and was significantly cheaper.

It has a serving size of 3 scoops but I do one before and workout and one after.  On non-workout days I'm going to just do 1 scoop.

For 3 scoops, though, the nutritional content is:

280 calories (10 from fat)

1g total fat (0.5 from saturated fat)

15mg cholesterol

7g carbs (1g fiber, 2g sugars)

60g protein

280mg calcium

350mg sodium

350mg potassium.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

I'm still struggling with getting enough protein.  157 which is closer than I've been getting to 192.5 but obv. not enough.

I ended up getting this for workouts because the guy at GNC said it was as good as ON and was significantly cheaper.

It has a serving size of 3 scoops but I do one before and workout and one after.  On non-workout days I'm going to just do 1 scoop.

For 3 scoops, though, the nutritional content is:

280 calories (10 from fat)

1g total fat (0.5 from saturated fat)

15mg cholesterol

7g carbs (1g fiber, 2g sugars)

60g protein

280mg calcium

350mg sodium

350mg potassium.

How much was that, and how big is it? Just curious since I don't ever trust a word one of those meatheads at GNC says.

For the record, you never need 3 scoops of that. Your body can't even absorb 60g of whey protein at one time. It'll turn half of that into fat.

As far as arm pain, ice it and see how it is in a couple days. Could just be your body reacting to something it isn't used to. Prepare to be sore at first...it takes a lot longer to recover from workouts when you first start, but that time goes down quickly as you continue.

Ryan M

I'd be careful with the pain in your arm after curls. A lot of golfers elbow is due to lifting weights rather than from playing golf. That's how I got my golfer's elbow about two years ago. I am over it now but it's pain in the a$$ having golfer's elbow. (No pun intended)

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

For the record, you never need 3 scoops of that. Your body can't even absorb 60g of whey protein at one time. It'll turn half of that into fat.

This this this.

You're far better off eating multiple smaller meals a day with around 30g of protein per meal.

This is from a research study.

"researchers found that a meal containing 30 grams of protein boosted muscle-building activity by about 50%."

"It turned out, however, that increasing the amount of protein in the meal didn't create a bigger boost in muscle synthesis. On average, subjects who ate 90 grams of protein at a meal got exactly the same benefit as subjects who ate 30 grams"

Eating more smaller portioned meals throughout the day is the way to go. I know it is tough and sort of time consuming, but it's worth it.

Joel Holden

https://twitter.com/JHolden138

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slice of Life View Post

As far as arm pain, ice it and see how it is in a couple days. Could just be your body reacting to something it isn't used to. Prepare to be sore at first...it takes a lot longer to recover from workouts when you first start, but that time goes down quickly as you continue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crim View Post

This this this.

You're far better off eating multiple smaller meals a day with around 30g of protein per meal.

This is from a research study.

"researchers found that a meal containing 30 grams of protein boosted muscle-building activity by about 50%."

"It turned out, however, that increasing the amount of protein in the meal didn't create a bigger boost in muscle synthesis. On average, subjects who ate 90 grams of protein at a meal got exactly the same benefit as subjects who ate 30 grams"

Eating more smaller portioned meals throughout the day is the way to go. I know it is tough and sort of time consuming, but it's worth it.

Not this, not this, not this. Please stop saying this, because it is not true. Protein magically turning into fat when you consume more than 30g per meal? No no no no, all wrong.

It does not matter (within reasonable limits) how much protein you get from a single meal. The body will spend a longer time absorbing 100g than 30g, but it will never be wasted and it will definitely never magically turn into fat. Fat is aquired by having a calorie balance greater than that needed to build muscles or keeping the weight balanced.

And eating smaller portioned meals does not do anything either. The only advantage of smaller meals in any kind of diet and any kind of goal is that some people prefer it; ie. it helps them follow their diet plan. Just as it helps some people follow their plan by eating fewer meals. It does not matter if you eat three or six meals a day. Some studies indicate that it may not be recommended eating fewer than three meals a day. While on the subject, eating breakfast does not start anything that will help you lose weight.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

Quote:
Based on the available evidence, it’s false to assume that the body can only use a certain amount of protein per meal. Studies examining short-term effects have provided hints towards what might be an optimal protein dose for maximizing anabolism, but trials drawn out over longer periods haven’t supported this idea. So, is there a limit to how much protein per meal can be effectively used? Yes there is, but this limit is likely similar to the amount that’s maximally effective in an entire day. What’s the most protein that the body can effectively use in an entire day? The short answer is, a lot more than 20-30 g. The long answer is, it depends on several factors. In most cases it’s not too far from a gram per pound in drug-free trainees, given that adequate total calories are provided [8,9].

http://wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Not this, not this, not this. Please stop saying this, because it is not true. Protein magically turning into fat when you consume more than 30g per meal? No no no no, all wrong. It does not matter (within reasonable limits) how much protein you get from a single meal. The body will spend a longer time absorbing 100g than 30g, but it will never be wasted and it will definitely never magically turn into fat. Fat is aquired by having a calorie balance greater than that needed to build muscles or keeping the weight balanced. And eating smaller portioned meals does not do anything either. The only advantage of smaller meals in any kind of diet and any kind of goal is that some people prefer it; ie. it helps them follow their diet plan. Just as it helps some people follow their plan by eating fewer meals. It does not matter if you eat three or six meals a day. Some studies indicate that it may not be recommended eating fewer than three meals a day. While on the subject, eating breakfast does not start anything that will help you lose weight. [URL=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494[/URL] [URL=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985]http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985[/URL] [URL=http://wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/]http://wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/[/URL]

Thank god you said it.

"My ball is on top of a rock in the hazard, do I get some sort of relief?"

This this this. You're far better off eating multiple smaller meals a day with around 30g of protein per meal. This is from a research study.  [COLOR=858585]"researchers found that a meal containing 30 grams of protein boosted muscle-building activity by about 50%."[/COLOR] [COLOR=858585]"It turned out, however, that increasing the amount of protein in the meal didn't create a bigger boost in muscle synthesis. On average, subjects who ate 90 grams of protein at a meal got exactly the same benefit as subjects who ate 30 grams"[/COLOR] Eating more smaller portioned meals throughout the day is the way to go. I know it is tough and sort of time consuming, but it's worth it.

Wrong wrong wrong

Not this, not this, not this. Please stop saying this, because it is not true. Protein magically turning into fat when you consume more than 30g per meal? No no no no, all wrong.

It does not matter (within reasonable limits) how much protein you get from a single meal. The body will spend a longer time absorbing 100g than 30g, but it will never be wasted and it will definitely never magically turn into fat. Fat is aquired by having a calorie balance greater than that needed to build muscles or keeping the weight balanced.

And eating smaller portioned meals does not do anything either. The only advantage of smaller meals in any kind of diet and any kind of goal is that some people prefer it; ie. it helps them follow their diet plan. Just as it helps some people follow their plan by eating fewer meals. It does not matter if you eat three or six meals a day. Some studies indicate that it may not be recommended eating fewer than three meals a day. While on the subject, eating breakfast does not start anything that will help you lose weight.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9155494

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19943985

http://wannabebig.com/diet-and-nutrition/is-there-a-limit-to-how-much-protein-the-body-can-use-in-a-single-meal/

"Protein magically turning into fat when you consume more than 30g per meal? No no no no, all wrong."

Worded poorly by me perhaps, your body treats the excess protein in the same way it would with fat. It can, and will store or dispose of it the way it does with fat...same with fat and/or carbs. Of course you won't gain weight on a deficit...that's been stated 100 times here. You can eat 100 g of fat every day and not gain any fat.

You can post as many health articles as you want, but the fact is that the science relating anabolic response to protein limits is flawed at best. There isn't a strong understanding and it's hard to test aside from "studies" which are always small sample sizes, and again...flawed based on human error and genetics.

I've personally cut weight and gained muscle many times, and have always had more success when getting protein in 4-5 different 30-40 g "meals" or "shakes", than when I've just stuck to lunch and dinner loading up at 75 g of protein each meal. I've experimented in many different ways.

IMO, 90 g of protein is useless after a workout, and provides no benefit over a standard 24-30 g shake. Until there's definitive science proving otherwise, that's my stance...and I find it hard to believe that every professional bodybuilder since the beginning of time has gotten it wrong.

Ryan M

Until there's definitive science proving otherwise, that's my stance...and I find it hard to believe that every professional bodybuilder since the beginning of time has gotten it wrong.

I might be misunderstanding you here, but to me it looks like you're saying that every professional bodybuilder since the beginning of time has limited their protein intake to 30 grams per meal.

You believe what you want to believe. I'd rather put my trust in multiple studies, people educated on the subject and actually knowing what's going on, rather than anecdotal evidence. There are far too many bad studies, conclusions based off correlatives and personal experience. Many different areas within science has suffered from this, golf included.

Science is rarely 100%. There are often too many variables and uncertain elements to be able to prove something 100%. Especially within physiology. But the actual studies done, and the reasonings of educated people, tells us that the amount of protein does not matter.

I can't force people to believe or force them to eat more than 30g protein in a meal, but at least I can put out the actual information and let them choose for themselves. There are people out there believing and telling you they can hit a push-draw with the clubface aimed at the target, but that doesn't mean it's true.

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

I might be misunderstanding you here, but to me it looks like you're saying that every professional bodybuilder since the beginning of time has limited their protein intake to 30 grams per meal.

You believe what you want to believe. I'd rather put my trust in multiple studies, people educated on the subject and actually knowing what's going on, rather than anecdotal evidence. There are far too many bad studies, conclusions based off correlatives and personal experience. Many different areas within science has suffered from this, golf included.

Science is rarely 100%. There are often too many variables and uncertain elements to be able to prove something 100%. Especially within physiology. But the actual studies done, and the reasonings of educated people, tells us that the amount of protein does not matter.

I can't force people to believe or force them to eat more than 30g protein in a meal, but at least I can put out the actual information and let them choose for themselves. There are people out there believing and telling you they can hit a push-draw with the clubface aimed at the target, but that doesn't mean it's true.

Every professional bodybuilder that's ever been well known for their physique has lived by the 6 or so meals a day meal plan, splitting their protein up into smaller portions...there may be 1 or 2 exceptions, but I don't know of them. Arnold, Zane, Coleman, Cutler, Seid, Franco, Ferrigno, Angelov...etc.,

The 30 g is an arbitrary number, as a 250 lb bodybuilder will benefit from more than a 120 lb woman....obviously.

You've essentially stated the reason I don't trust the scientific studies on either side of the argument. I know what works for me, and just about everybody else...and I stick to it. We can argue back and forth, but nobody knows the truth because it hasn't been proven beyond smaller scientific studies. All we have is our own anecdotal evidence to go by...

Ryan M

"Protein magically turning into fat when you consume more than 30g per meal? No no no no, all wrong." Worded poorly by me perhaps, your body treats the excess protein in the same way it would with fat. It can, and will store or dispose of it the way it does with fat...same with fat and/or carbs. Of course you won't gain weight on a deficit...that's been stated 100 times here. You can eat 100 g of fat every day and not gain any fat. You can post as many health articles as you want, but the fact is that the science relating anabolic response to protein limits is flawed at best. There isn't a strong understanding and it's hard to test aside from "studies" which are always small sample sizes, and again...flawed based on human error and genetics. I've personally cut weight and gained muscle many times, and have always had more success when getting protein in 4-5 different 30-40 g "meals" or "shakes", than when I've just stuck to lunch and dinner loading up at 75 g of protein each meal. I've experimented in many different ways.   IMO, 90 g of protein is useless after a workout, and provides no benefit over a standard 24-30 g shake. Until there's definitive science proving otherwise, that's my stance...and I find it hard to believe that every professional bodybuilder since the beginning of time has gotten it wrong.

Show us your science. Of course body building magazines promote multiple meals. Who do you think owns most of the magazines or supports them? Supplement makers. There is hard evidence against multiple meals and really only repeated statements of perceived logic in magazines for multiple meals. It's not that what you do won't work, it's just not efficient and goes against biological function of the body. There is no law that the body can't use and assimilate 50 grams of protein at a meal. We are also saying not to eat multiple meals at this amount as well. Fine if you want to be ignorant to our scientific proof and webpages to help you understand the way the metabolism actually works in the body but it IS the way it really works and not repeated erroneous information. [URL]http://www.leangains.com/2011/04/critique-of-issn-position-stand-on-meal.html[/URL] Furthermore the body builders you mentioned are heavily loaded with growth hormone so comparing yourself to them in any way is a disservice.