IGNORED

How to hit Sand/Bunker Shots

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

This is one of the things I see a lot of amateurs do, they don't swing fast enough or they don't take too small of a back swing.

I might have said this already but I think it's good to feel the speed come from the pivot rather than just using the arms to "help" the ball out of the sand.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I don't usually have a problem getting the ball out of the bunker, but I tend to pop the ball up in the air and then it drops down and dies about 5-10 yards in front of me. It's not very effective if the pin is say, 15 yards away. Is this a club selection problem or do I need to adjust my ball position?

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Anyone know how to get a really short bunker shot close? I was faced with sand shot that was only 7 paces to the pin

My standard bunker shot ends up being exactly what you would have needed. I don't think I do anything out of the ordinary: open clubface, open stance, ball forward. Hinge back and swing through. If you're looking for more height, squat down a bit lower to lower the handle at address.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

My standard bunker shot ends up being exactly what you would have needed. I don't think I do anything out of the ordinary: open clubface, open stance, ball forward. Hinge back and swing through.

If you're looking for more height, squat down a bit lower to lower the handle at address.

Okay thanks, I will try that. What i tried in the past is weaken my lower hand grip and take less sand then I usually do

I don't usually have a problem getting the ball out of the bunker, but I tend to pop the ball up in the air and then it drops down and dies about 5-10 yards in front of me. It's not very effective if the pin is say, 15 yards away. Is this a club selection problem or do I need to adjust my ball position?

I practice 20-30 yard range from the sand all summer and it become my 'standard' sand shot, but lost the ability to do the short 5-10 yard sand shot that spins and dies.

i notice for 20-30 yarder, have to play for a bit of release and roll and I been playing with more square clubface and setup.

Is the followthrough similar to your pitch followthrough or is the club getting "stuck" in the sand?

Mike McLoughlin

Is the followthrough similar to your pitch followthrough or is the club getting "stuck" in the sand?

I think it's similar to my pitch followthrough, but honestly I can't be certain. I don't recall ever getting the club stuck though.

I set up basically the same way I'd hit a flop shot. I'll have to film it sometime and post it on my swing thread.

Bill

My Swing Thread

So I was at the range today practicing this sand shot and I was wondering if this shot has much spin?  My shots were all rolling out as if I was hitting a pitch shot maybe a bit more than my pitches.  I was using range balls so Im sure that was part of it.  I was just wondering if this shot is supposed to have a lot of spin or is there a way to put more spin on it without changing technique.

So I was at the range today practicing this sand shot and I was wondering if this shot has much spin?  My shots were all rolling out as if I was hitting a pitch shot maybe a bit more than my pitches.  I was using range balls so Im sure that was part of it.  I was just wondering if this shot is supposed to have a lot of spin or is there a way to put more spin on it without changing technique.

I think how much spin you get depends on how closely behind the ball you hit the sand.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

I think how much spin you get depends on how closely behind the ball you hit the sand.

I thought that also but when I would hit closer to the ball I would hit it way over the green.  It was the first time I really practiced it and I was having a hell of a lot more success getting the ball out of the bunker than the way I use to hit bunker shots.  I just kept having a lot of roll out.  Im going to keep going to Western Lake and practicing out of the sand.  About how far behind the sand do you hit to get the ball to only roll a few feet?

I thought that also but when I would hit closer to the ball I would hit it way over the green.  It was the first time I really practiced it and I was having a hell of a lot more success getting the ball out of the bunker than the way I use to hit bunker shots.  I just kept having a lot of roll out.  Im going to keep going to Western Lake and practicing out of the sand.  About how far behind the sand do you hit to get the ball to only roll a few feet?

Are you squaring the face up, or do you have it somewhat open..? If it's' shorter shot, or you have little green to work with a wide open face is almost a necessity. Also, you have to accelerate through the ball.

It should land soft and roll out a few feet. Range balls could be part of it.

Correct you would hit it closer to the ball, maybe shallow the angle of attack as well.

That would be actually hitting the ball, we still want to hit behind the ball, just less of it. First rule of sand play is to get it out of the bunker, so don't try to get too cute with trying to get too much spin ;-)

I guess for a standard shot I try to hit about a ball and a half/two balls behind it. I set the club about a ball behind the one I'm hitting. Here's a good example

Also, you have to accelerate through the ball.

Correct, gotta have some speed with these shots.

Mike McLoughlin

I was doing really good as far as getting the ball out of the bunker. I just was wondering how to get some more spin. Thanks for this thread in one practice session I'm already better than I was at bunker shots.

I was doing really good as far as getting the ball out of the bunker. I just was wondering how to get some more spin. Thanks for this thread in one practice session I'm already better than I was at bunker shots.

Filmed a couple shots today, standard shots. Both landed soft and rolled a few feet. Tried to film it where you can see the ball land and how I set up to the shot.

Mike McLoughlin

I had a 30 footer yesterday from wet sand that I hit to a couple inches for a nice up and down!  Of course earlier I had a bad one, but that one was well above my feet.  Still, the technique works well.  Thanks @mvmac !

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2063 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!