IGNORED

2012 Accenture Match Play Discussion Thread

brocks
Note: This thread is 4442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I may seem uncharitable, but I really don't rate the WGC matchplay.

It just seems to me like a little bit of a lottery and the winners are often people who struggle in 72 hole tournaments - but that's the beauty of matchplay, I suppose.

I find it a boring tournament.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

I may seem uncharitable, but I really don't rate the WGC matchplay. It just seems to me like a little bit of a lottery and the winners are often people who struggle in 72 hole tournaments - but that's the beauty of matchplay, I suppose. I find it a boring tournament.

Interesting that last year's winner was Steady Eddie Luke Donald. I would think that a more volatile player would win, because a quad isn't any worse than a par if your opponent gets a birdie, but if you make more birdies, you tend to win more holes.

It just seems to me like a little bit of a lottery and the winners are often people who struggle in 72 hole tournaments - but that's the beauty of matchplay, I suppose.

Well, Match Play is a different form of golf. Of course, stroke play is far better suited to television, particularly in drawing in casual or personality fans. I mean, I would really enjoy a Matt Kuchar vs Webb Simpson finale, but it wouldn't move the needle among the general population the way a Watson/Woods finale would. However, as for winners who struggle in 72 hole tournaments... other than Stenson, is that really the case lately? Donald, Poulter, Ogilvy, Woods... to a lesser extent, Toms. You really have to go back ten years to the Sutherland / McCarron finale to find one where the winner (and runner up, for that matter) weren't guys who won stroke play with any regularity. And Stenson's not exactly a slouch (although he hasn't won much since his WGC victory). Of course, my favorite match play moment wasn't in the WGC event. It was... Shaun Micheel I think, who beat Tiger Woods at a European match play tournament in the opening round, and then in his interview said he had to go do laundry. We all thought the same thing, but it turns out he had packed his clothing on the expectation that he wouldn't advance to the second round.

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

im pulling for a Rory V Tiger/DJ final as at the minute theyre the 3 golfers i like to watch the most and wouldnt mind seeing them battle it out. if one of them 3 or Jason Day wins it i'll be happy

Cobra S2 Driver
Nike SQ 3 Wood
Nike Sumo SQ 3 Hybrid
Callaway X-16 Irons 3-PW
Nike Victory Red 56 and 60 WedgesScotty Cameron Newport 1.5 Putter

Whoops, Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano may have just pulled an Ames: http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2012/02/20/tigers-foe-i-think-hes-beatable/

-- Michael | My swing! 

"You think you're Jim Furyk. That's why your phone is never charged." - message from my mother

Driver:  Titleist 915D2.  4-wood:  Titleist 917F2.  Titleist TS2 19 degree hybrid.  Another hybrid in here too.  Irons 5-U, Ping G400.  Wedges negotiable (currently 54 degree Cleveland, 58 degree Titleist) Edel putter. 

Whoops, Gonzalo Fernandez-Castano may have just pulled an Ames: http://tourreport.pgatour.com/2012/02/20/tigers-foe-i-think-hes-beatable/

Do it Gonzalo, do it! Maybe Tiger needs a kick in the ass.

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

I'm hoping to watch the first three rounds without seeing a single shot from the Crane/Watson pairing.  Wish me luck.

Brandon

Brandon a.k.a. Tony Stark

-------------------------

The Fastest Flip in the West

Originally Posted by Shindig

There is a big difference between making comments about a beatable Tiger now then when Ames did it in Tiger's prime.

Driver: i15, 3 wood: G10, Hybrid: Nickent 4dx, Irons: Ping s57, Wedges: Mizuno MPT 52, 56, 60, Putter: XG #9 

Originally Posted by Shorty

I find the concept interesting, but the actual event and coverage leaves me cold (pun about the weather at the 2011 (and 2010?) event not intended). When Peter Jacobsen did his ode to the local flora and fauna using players nicknames and/or surnames the whole thing jumped the shark.

Mizuno MP600 driver, Cleveland '09 Launcher 3-wood, Callaway FTiz 18 degree hybrid, Cleveland TA1 3-9, Scratch SS8620 47, 53, 58, Cleveland Classic 2 mid-mallet, Bridgestone B330S, Sun Mountain four5.

I feel like Captain Kirk trying to explain a joke to Spock. I bet your friends all call you "Mr. Chuckles."

ha ha! good one! Seriously, How could they have not seen you were joking?! You even put a :-D at the end and then another one in your explanation...and shorty still didn't understand it was a joke. Not to mention Phil has had Tiger's number for a few years now...he loves going up against Tiger. Come on people!

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

I went out on a limb and picked Luke Donald and Tiger Woods playing each other in the championship match.  With Tiger winning.  With the 3rd place winner being Sergio Garcia over Steve Stricker.  I know, I know... Very unique picks! :D

Here is a little glimpse at some of the 'upset' picks I made though:

Bobby Jones

Kyle Stanley #13 seed over KJ Choi #4 seed

Kyle Stanley #13 seed over Brandt Snedeker #5 seed in the 2nd round

Robert Rock # 15 seed over Adam Scott #2 seed

Jim Furyk #14 seed over Dustin Johnson #3 seed

Jim Furyk #14 seed over Thomas Bjorn #6 seed in the 2nd round

Ben Hogan

Greg Chalmers #16 seed over Martin Kaymer #1 seed

Ben Crane #12 seed over Bubba Watson #5 seed

Zach Johnson #11 seed over Hunter Mahan #6 seed

Zach Johnson #11 seed over Graeme McDowell #3 seed in 2nd round

Gary Player

No real upsets picked in this bracket other than Sergio Garcia #4 seed beating Rory McIlroy #1 seed in the 3rd round.

Sam Snead

Fred Jacobson #9 seed over Lee Westwood #1 seed in the 2nd round

Martin Laird #10 seed over Webb Simpson #2 seed in the 2nd round

Justin Rose #6 seed over Bill Hass #3 seed in the 2nd round

Can't wait to watch these guys battle it out over the next week.

Here is a quote I copied from a TGC article about Tigers opponent Wednesday in match play, I was impressed because it was not bitter or hostile but very neutral and professionally said. And it's kinda how I see it also.

“What I’m sure about is he’s not going to be as dominant as what he used to be,” Fernandez-Castano said. “I think there are a lot of young guys, like Rory McIlroy, Martin Kaymer, Rickie Fowler, guys that have beaten him. They know the feeling of beating Tiger.

“He might be the No. 1 player again. He might win majors again, but I don’t think he will be as dominant as he was, like in 2000 and those times. Maybe I’m wrong, anything is possible with that guy, he’s so good."

Here is a quote I copied from a TGC article about Tigers opponent Wednesday in match play, I was impressed because it was not bitter or hostile but very neutral and professionally said. And it's kinda how I see it also.

“What I’m sure about is he’s not going to be as dominant as what he used to be,” Fernandez-Castano said. “I think there are a lot of young guys, like Rory McIlroy, Martin Kaymer, Rickie Fowler, guys that have beaten him. They know the feeling of beating Tiger.

“He might be the No. 1 player again. He might win majors again, but I don’t think he will be as dominant as he was, like in 2000 and those times. Maybe I’m wrong, anything is possible with that guy, he’s so good."

I went out on a limb and picked Luke Donald and Tiger Woods playing each other in the championship match.  With Tiger winning.  With the 3rd place winner being Sergio Garcia over Steve Stricker.  I know, I know... Very unique picks! :D

Here is a little glimpse at some of the 'upset' picks I made though:

Bobby Jones

Kyle Stanley #13 seed over KJ Choi #4 seed

Kyle Stanley #13 seed over Brandt Snedeker #5 seed in the 2nd round

Robert Rock # 15 seed over Adam Scott #2 seed

Jim Furyk #14 seed over Dustin Johnson #3 seed

Jim Furyk #14 seed over Thomas Bjorn #6 seed in the 2nd round

Ben Hogan

Greg Chalmers #16 seed over Martin Kaymer #1 seed

Ben Crane #12 seed over Bubba Watson #5 seed

Zach Johnson #11 seed over Hunter Mahan #6 seed

Zach Johnson #11 seed over Graeme McDowell #3 seed in 2nd round

Gary Player

No real upsets picked in this bracket other than Sergio Garcia #4 seed beating Rory McIlroy #1 seed in the 3rd round.

Sam Snead

Fred Jacobson #9 seed over Lee Westwood #1 seed in the 2nd round

Martin Laird #10 seed over Webb Simpson #2 seed in the 2nd round

Justin Rose #6 seed over Bill Hass #3 seed in the 2nd round

Can't wait to watch these guys battle it out over the next week.

Sergio is gonna take it all!!

DRIVER Taylormade R11S w/ Tour AD DI-7S 3 WOOD Taylormade R11S RIP Phenom Stiff 16.5 HYBRID Taylormade Rocketballz Tour Stiff IRONS 4-6 iron Taylormade MC w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff IRONS 7-PW Taylormade MB w/ KBS C-Taper Stiff WEDGES Titleist Vokey SM4 Black Nickel 52.12, 56.11, 60.10 PUTTER NIKE METHOD 001 33', Taylormade Ghost Spider 33' BAG ADIDAS AG Tour Stand Bag BALLS TITLEIST PRO-V1X SHOESADIDAS ADIPURE GPS SKYCADDIE SGX

Why would he be bitter and hostile?

Ogio Grom | Callaway X Hot Pro | Callaway X-Utility 3i | Mizuno MX-700 23º | Titleist Vokey SM 52.08, 58.12 | Mizuno MX-700 15º | Titleist 910 D2 9,5º | Scotty Cameron Newport 2 | Titleist Pro V1x and Taylormade Penta | Leupold GX-1

Brackets to fill out: http://games.golfweek.com/bracket.asp?ID=4

In my bag:

Driver: Titleist TSi3 | 15º 3-Wood: Ping G410 | 17º 2-Hybrid: Ping G410 | 19º 3-Iron: TaylorMade GAPR Lo |4-PW Irons: Nike VR Pro Combo | 54º SW, 60º LW: Titleist Vokey SM8 | Putter: Odyssey Toulon Las Vegas H7

Note: This thread is 4442 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!