IGNORED

Good Golf Posture (How to Address the Golf Ball)

mvmac

3 hours ago, Mark Robertson said:

Would my set up result in an over the top swing?

It could, depends on what your tendency is. With a more upright posture, the pivot can get locked up, shoulder turn too level, only way to create some "down" is to go over-the-top. Better posture/setup can help golfers make better pivots which can then improve the downswing.

3 hours ago, Mark Robertson said:

Anyway I've recently signed up at evolvr where I have Stephan helping me so looking at great things for next season.

Great!

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 2 weeks later...

I get asked this all the time and I'm honestly not sure. Couple good reasons as any below as to why posture went so far the opposite direction in the last 20 years.

Screen Shot 2017-11-26 at 11.02.44 AM.png

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

I will say the adage, take an athletic stance. I think instructors went looking at other sports, and you'll see that set up on the left in many other sports. It probably went too far in the whole flat back, head up a bit, and butt out. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator
11 hours ago, saevel25 said:

I will say the adage, take an athletic stance. I think instructors went looking at other sports, and you'll see that set up on the left in many other sports. It probably went too far in the whole flat back, head up a bit, and butt out. 

I don't know. I feel like the definition of "athletic" got perverted a bit. Nobody "athletically" sticks their butt out, straightens their back, etc.

But I feel like the 90s are about the right time to blame.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Interesting topic. I will share my journey relative to this topic. I was inspired to share while watching the video in post #267. In the video the golfer is being encouraged to have a set-up similar to players of the golden age as opposed to the set-up of most current pro golfers. The instructor stated this "none of you are strong enough to stay in the shot from there" - 'there' being the current athletic posture setup being taught.

Four years ago that was me. After 40 years of desk work resulting in anterior pelvic tilt; forward head posture and other postural issues - I was "not strong enough to stay in the shot".

I started to have severe pain in my left hip where I could no longer walk 9 holes or even sit for more than 15 minutes at my desk. Recurring back pain etc. So I go the traditional route - Primary care physician; who takes an x-ray (which shows nothing); referral to Orthopedic doctor leading to an MRI and diagnosis of moderate arthritis.  I was told if the pain gets worse then a hip replacement may be needed. Not what I wanted to hear.

I consulted with an outfit that specializes in golf fitness; they were TPI certified etc. After 2 years of working directly with a fitness trainer as well as sessions with k-vest and boditrak; I was able to significantly increase my overall strength and mobility and I am now strong enough to stay in the shot and I am playing the best golf of my life.

A key factor in my progression was learning how to do a proper hip hinge so that I could utilize squats, deadlifts, single leg deadlifts etc. in my workouts without injury.

I am playing 4 days a week; working on my strength and mobility every day; and when not playing hitting balls into a net in my garage. I no longer have hip pain or back pain. My postural issues have been resolved.

Shot my age today 71 (Par 72; 6200yd). My playing partners range in age from late fifties to middle eighties; handicaps from single digit to high 20's. The majority of them are at the same place I was at 4 years ago - not strong enough to stay in the shot - no matter what set-up position they adopt.

Now I am going to focus on the threads dealing with putting, which is holding me back.

8 hours ago, MiuraMan said:

The instructor stated this "none of you are strong enough to stay in the shot from there" - 'there' being the current athletic posture setup being taught.

I think it's a balance thing. Setting up with the glutes back will put weight back in the heels at address and most people will shift their weight towards their toes in the downswing to compensate. You'd need strength to fight that movement.

8 hours ago, MiuraMan said:

Shot my age today 71 (Par 72; 6200yd).

Congrats! Very nice round.

You can claim your achievements here:

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 2 weeks later...
11 minutes ago, MuniGrit said:

Should the knees be bowed or pigeon toed in from face on view?

It's generally a good thing to flare your feet so the knees should be bowed a little.

• Like 2

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• 3 weeks later...

Obviously not what Jason Day looks like when he's playing but funny posts.

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 9.45.18 PM.png

Mike McLoughlin

11 hours ago, mvmac said:

Obviously not what Jason Day looks like when he's playing but funny posts.

Screen Shot 2018-01-10 at 9.45.18 PM.png

It's a funny post. I've actually seen people set up like Day on the left. Also, weirdest picture of Tiger I've ever seen ;-)

Bill

My Swing Thread

• 3 months later...

I hope this hasn't already been touched upon, as I didn't read all 16 pages of this thread. But I believe the posture of the spine is more dictated by the respective positions of the pelvis and scapulae at address. If the pelvis is in a neutral position at address (and NOT in anterior or posterior pelvic tilt) and my scapulae are also in a neutral position (and NOT in a retracted or protracted position), the position/posture of the spine will be fine and in the best possible position to move as the golf swing dictates. 

Anyone else use the positions of their pelvis and scapulae to dictate their spine posture/position?

• Administrator
8 hours ago, MiuraDude said:

I hope this hasn't already been touched upon, as I didn't read all 16 pages of this thread. But I believe the posture of the spine is more dictated by the respective positions of the pelvis and scapulae at address. If the pelvis is in a neutral position at address (and NOT in anterior or posterior pelvic tilt) and my scapulae are also in a neutral position (and NOT in a retracted or protracted position), the position/posture of the spine will be fine and in the best possible position to move as the golf swing dictates. 

Anyone else use the positions of their pelvis and scapulae to dictate their spine posture/position?

Your spine can move independently of the pelvis and the scapulae.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/2/2012 at 2:14 PM, gwlee7 said:

Working on seeing the ball from the center of my eyes is something mvmac has had me work on.  In doing so, I hit the ball on better trajectory (especially with the driver) than when I lapse into the old way of "looking under my glasses".

My high school golf coach used to call it "looking  down your nose" at the ball. I guess it's dependent upon how willing you are to turn your head counter-clockwise to accommodate your left shoulder turning into it's space

If you are not, you will saw your backswing off short.

• Administrator
25 minutes ago, Buckeyebowman said:

My high school golf coach used to call it "looking  down your nose" at the ball.

That's not what's advocated here.

While I don't think most need to do exercises to achieve a better golf posture, it is good to see this information reaching fitness people. Also if you think about how much the golf fitness world promotes a "strong core", setting up with a straight spine would be the opposite of that. Let's say someone was going to throw you a quick jab to the gut, you wouldn't put yourself in Donald Duck posture.

23 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

My high school golf coach used to call it "looking  down your nose" at the ball. I guess it's dependent upon how willing you are to turn your head counter-clockwise to accommodate your left shoulder turning into it's space

These guys are looking at the ball with their central vision. The upper back is rounder to achieve that.

To achieve a "down the nose" feel I would have to get the eyes and chin up.

P1.jpg

P1.2.jpg

• Like 1

Mike McLoughlin

• 2 months later...

When I got back into golfing last year, my pro told me I was sticking my butt out way to much and he basically softened my stance and stressed eye position a LOT. Within a few weeks, it seems so natural.  As well, the back aches I was having all seemed to vanish. I still have a few posture and foot issues, but swing seems much more at ease in general.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry I'm late to the party, but if I can help anyone in this great game - it's my passion. 

My thoughts on posture are to start in what I call a universal sports stance. We have to be prepared to go up, down, left and right during a swing and thus being in a ready start stance is important. I think if you're too rigid and stiff looking/feeling you deprive yourself of some flow and the necessary loading in transition and downswing. Relaxed and 'facing' the ball, as Harvey Penick said, is just about as good a mind visual as you get. 

On 7/17/2018 at 4:40 PM, DrMJG said:

When I got back into golfing last year, my pro told me I was sticking my butt out way to much and he basically softened my stance and stressed eye position a LOT. Within a few weeks, it seems so natural.  As well, the back aches I was having all seemed to vanish. I still have a few posture and foot issues, but swing seems much more at ease in general.

DrMJG I'm glad you're back is better - where do you play out there in Goodyear?