IGNORED

Good Golf Posture (How to Address the Golf Ball)

mvmac

8 hours ago, Tepi90 said:

Absolutely golden video, thank you!

I personally have my butt out at the address, coming from over ten years of ice skating in my youth. Would you say having your butt out can lead to early extension aswell, because your butt has to move off the wall to give freedom for your upper body to rotate?

Probably, but that is hard to confirm without a down the line picture of you at address.

What is really at issue here is whether or not you can hinge your hips properly with a neutral spine (i.e. without anterior pelvic tilt; the S shape OR posterior pelvic tilt; the C shape). If you have either posterior pelvic tilt or anterior pelvic tilt while standing upright, then you would want to address that issue first; lots of good information on youtube and other resources on the net. Use your favorite search tool. 

Here is an excellent video on learning the proper hip hinge.

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
11 hours ago, Tepi90 said:

I personally have my butt out at the address, coming from over ten years of ice skating in my youth. Would you say having your butt out can lead to early extension aswell, because your butt has to move off the wall to give freedom for your upper body to rotate?

It can, but as with almost everything, it won't necessarily lead to that. I don't even know that I could say it would the majority of the time.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 3/16/2020 at 9:42 PM, Tepi90 said:

Absolutely golden video, thank you!

It can, especially if the weight gets into your heels at address.

Having said that you can also early extend from a good address position.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

• 10 months later...

I just discovered the OP while searching the web on terms like "golf setup back straight curved."  Interestingly: The majority of hits led to articles promoting straight back, head up.  This is what our golf class instructor taught us last summer--as well as butt out.  (I just started golfing last June.)

To make a summer-long story short: While I had successes, I never was able to develop a good, consistent swing.

I'm up here in cold country.  Not wishing to start at Ground Zero come spring, I decided to take off-season lessons from a place called True MotionThe very first thing they're having me do, after I sent them front and down-line videos of my current swing, was a full week of drills doing nothing but fixing my setup stance--to include rounding my shoulders.

I don't know how good my golf swing will be, after all is said and done, but I can say this: I've been suffering from upper-back, shoulder, and neck discomfort for a while, now.  (This started before I took up golf.)  Doing various exercises to increase the flexibility in my upper back so as to allow me to round it in my golf stance has made all that disappear completely.

• Administrator
59 minutes ago, SEMI_Duffer said:

The majority of hits led to articles promoting straight back, head up.

Unfortunately, yeah. 😞

• Thumbs Up 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 9 months later...

So I got a lesson recently and this was the core message and flaw of my old swing. I had too much pelvic tilt previously. After adjusting to this new stance, the results have been tremendous, however I've consistently been feeling discomfort in my middle back. It's nothing that impacts me during my play, but I was curious if there's any obvious reason why this would occur. For context, I'm focusing on keeping my hips in an extremely neutral position at address, and sometimes my thought is to tighen the core so that my back begins to arch in the middle of my spine, continuing to arch up through my shoulders.

3 hours ago, Joe1 said:

So I got a lesson recently and this was the core message and flaw of my old swing. I had too much pelvic tilt previously. After adjusting to this new stance, the results have been tremendous, however I've consistently been feeling discomfort in my middle back. It's nothing that impacts me during my play, but I was curious if there's any obvious reason why this would occur. For context, I'm focusing on keeping my hips in an extremely neutral position at address, and sometimes my thought is to tighen the core so that my back begins to arch in the middle of my spine, continuing to arch up through my shoulders.

Do you do any back stretches? Without seeing your swing it will be hard to tell if what you are feeling is actually happening. Too much arch is not good as is too much tucking of the hips. I mentioned stretches because doing exercises like pelvic tilts (cat/cows) can help warm up the lower back before practice and playing.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

• 1 year later...
  • Administrator

Not this:

trillium-posture.jpg

Here is the foolproof way to ensure you have perfect posture in your golf swing every time, according to Top 100 Teacher Trillium Rose.

I like… that the arms hang down nearly vertically. I don't like that her weight is in her heels or that her back is straight. It's not clear if her chin is up a little too much, but it looks like she lets her neck soften a bit so she can look more directly at the ball, at least.

• 1 month later...
On 12/24/2022 at 6:27 PM, iacas said:

Not this:

trillium-posture.jpg

Here is the foolproof way to ensure you have perfect posture in your golf swing every time, according to Top 100 Teacher Trillium Rose.

I like… that the arms hang down nearly vertically. I don't like that her weight is in her heels or that her back is straight. It's not clear if her chin is up a little too much, but it looks like she lets her neck soften a bit so she can look more directly at the ball, at least.

I like the pick up a puppy visual. 

Simple, easy to visualize, works for me. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

• 1 year later...

So I'm at the range today and I saw two guys working together at the next hitting bay over from me. Both were young guys (by my standards) middle to late 20's. Both of them had what I thought was super exaggerated stances at address. They both stuck their rear ends out really far in an exaggerated S-shape. 

Is this still taught by some instructors? 

To me it looked like it was causing them to work a lot harder to hit the ball. 

I do remember in the past seeing articles that encouraged this kind of set up, but I thought this was a thing of the past. spine-pattern-s.png.e87b2f5d5e57cc87c3502bd56449fab3.png

• Thumbs Up 1

24 minutes ago, ChetlovesMer said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was. Even if it wasn’t, most people who play don’t take lessons anyway. I just played with someone recently who still believes that is the correct posture at address.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

46 minutes ago, billchao said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if it was. Even if it wasn’t, most people who play don’t take lessons anyway. I just played with someone recently who still believes that is the correct posture at address.

I have to say. To my eye, it just looks more difficult, like it's literally more work. 

20 hours ago, ChetlovesMer said:

So I'm at the range today and I saw two guys working together at the next hitting bay over from me. Both were young guys (by my standards) middle to late 20's. Both of them had what I thought was super exaggerated stances at address. They both stuck their rear ends out really far in an exaggerated S-shape. 

It is.  The PGA instructor from whom I first took lessons, when I started back in 2020, taught this.  It felt unnatural to me.  Awkward.  I hated it.

That was the very first thing my new (on-line) instructors ironed out of me.

It actually came back into my setup a bit as a side-effect of my weight training.  In barbell lifts (squats, deadlifts, presses) good form requires you do this to avoid/reduce shear force on your lumbar spine.  In restarting swing training a couple weeks back my coach noticed my lumbar spine was arched in a bit and told me I needed to fix that.