IGNORED

Gamesmanship / etiquette

rustywedge
Note: This thread is 4437 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I like to think that golf is a gentlemanly sport where etiquette takes precedence over gamesmanship.

A good friend who is very competitive and also a good player just can't help himself.

He is ok for the most part but whenever we are on the greens he invariably stands and fidgets at some point during the final Phase of my routine.

Commonly he will stand stock still somewhere in my field of vision until I'm about to pull the trigger.... At which point he will sharply crane his neck through 180 there is never anyone or anythiNg .... As he wears a peaked cap actions are Purely intended to break my train of thought and concentration. He will also strategically stand with his shadow across my line, behind my putter head and alsO cLose to the hole and then proceed to fidget as described earlier. In this instance I will break my routine ask him to move and then start afresh.

Any idEas how to  get the message through? I have asked several times but his competitive streak prevents him from behaving  properly such is his desire to win.

Any Suggestions  appreciated.

Originally Posted by rustywedge

A good friend

Some friend.

In the race of life, always back self-interest. At least you know it's trying.

This is a piece of cake!

Every time you feel distracted by him you stop your routine and start it all over. Just to reinforce the effect you should do this once in a while (and in the beginning quite often) even with no apparent reason. But make sure that after every restart of your routines you clearly say that you were distracted by his whereabouts/movements/noices/etc.

I guarantee he will learn his lesson pretty quickly or will stop playing with you. Both options are good for your golf ;-)

P.S. If this does not help, there is a plan B. Start doing the same to him...

Just stop golfing with him for a few weeks, then give him up for good.

• Upvote 1

In My Bag:

Adams Super LS 9.5˚ driver, Aldila Phenom NL 65TX
Adams Super LS 15˚ fairway, Kusala black 72x
Adams Super LS 18˚ fairway, Aldila Rip'd NV 75TX
Adams Idea pro VST hybrid, 21˚, RIP Alpha 105x
Adams DHY 24˚, RIP Alpha 89x
5-PW Maltby TE irons, KBS C taper X, soft stepped once 130g
Mizuno T4, 54.9 KBS Wedge X
Mizuno R12 60.5, black nickel, KBS Wedge X
Odyssey Metal X #1 putter 
Bridgestone E5, Adidas samba bag, True Linkswear Stealth

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

"Dude, if I have to ask you to stand still or get your shadow off my line again, I'm out of here."

In the bag:
FT-iQ 10° driver, FT 21° neutral 3H
T-Zoid Forged 15° 3W, MX-23 4-PW
Harmonized 52° GW, Tom Watson 56° SW, X-Forged Vintage 60° LW
White Hot XG #1 Putter, 33"

If he's a good friend just say dude knock it off. That's not how this game is played.

If he insists on continuing, just decline future offers to play together. If he asks why, just say, I can't play with you. You're too distracting to my game.

Just go all Bubba on him!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

He normally plays other sports where distraction and gamesmanship are more acceptable - he just thinks golf is the same.

He knows that putting is one of my strengths and does what he can to put me off my game - did him no good yesterday - crushed him 5&4 - sank some bombs and kept him pretty quiet.

Just getting a bit tired of his antics - he isn't getting the hint so maybe I should do a Bubba - He is very thick skinned and maybe I just need to hammer the point home more forcefully.

Originally Posted by Ignorant

This is a piece of cake!

Every time you feel distracted by him you stop your routine and start it all over. Just to reinforce the effect you should do this once in a while (and in the beginning quite often) even with no apparent reason. But make sure that after every restart of your routines you clearly say that you were distracted by his whereabouts/movements/noices/etc.

Why not just simply say something to the guy instead of possibly ruining other groups time on the course by slowing things down "quite often" like that?

My Tools of Ignorance:

Driver: Ping I20 9.5*
Woods/Hybrids: Cobra AMP 3W and 3 HY

Irons: Cobra AMP 4-GW

Wedges: Callaway Forged Copper 56* and 60*

Putters: Scotty Cameron  35" (Several of the flow neck blade variety)

Ball: Bridgestone B330-RX and Srixon Z-Star

Bag: Nike Performance Carry

Originally Posted by Shorty

Some friend.

Amen!  He wouldn't be a friend of mine for long.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Originally Posted by Elvisliveson

Why not just simply say something to the guy instead of possibly ruining other groups time on the course by slowing things down "quite often" like that?

I think next time he asks if I want to play I will make it conditional that he doesn't pull any of his usual stunts on the green.

If he's not willing to accept those terms then that's fine - we don't play.

Win / Win

That might just do it.

Originally Posted by rustywedge

He normally plays other sports where distraction and gamesmanship are more acceptable - he just thinks golf is the same.

That is a very charitable way to look at it -- and may be correct. In tennis, you can get into the other guy's head with a "nice serve" or some other comment. I used to say, "Thank you." when someone double faulted. Man did that drive them crazy. In football, it is not holding unless you get caught. Golf is different and perhaps, as his good friend, you should help him to understand that manners matter. You might be doing him a great favor. Imagine if he played business golf and pulled that bull. I took up golf for real in my 20's and mostly played for business at first. All that mattered was manners and being enjoyable to be around. I'm competitive as most anyone you'll meet. But that means I want to make my putt not distract you so you miss yours.

That scene in Caddie Shack where the guys yell, "Miss it!" is a joke -- not a Golf Channel lesson on how to win.

Russ - Student of the Moe Norman swing as taught by the pros at - http://moenormangolf.com

Titleist 910 D3 8.5* w/ Project X shaft/ Titleist 910F 15* w/ Project X shaft

Cobra Baffler 20* & 23* hybrids with Accra hybrid shafts

Mizuno MP-53 irons 5Iron-PW AeroTech i95 shafts stiff and soft stepped once/Mizuno MP T-11 50.6/56.10/MP T10 60*

Seemore PCB putter with SuperStroke 3.0

Srixon 2012 Z-Star yellow balls/ Iomic Sticky 2.3, X-Evolution grips/Titleist Lightweight Cart Bag---

extra/alternate clubs: Mizunos JPX-800 Pro 5-GW with Project X 5.0 soft-stepped shafts

Good luck.  If he is a friend, he should stop.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Easy solution.  Stop playing with him altogether.

I wouldn't put up with that kind of crap.  He's an a$$.

Don

:titleist: 910 D2, 8.5˚, Adila RIP 60 S-Flex
:titleist: 980F 15˚
:yonex: EZone Blades (3-PW) Dynamic Gold S-200
:vokey:   Vokey wedges, 52˚; 56˚; and 60˚
:scotty_cameron:  2014 Scotty Cameron Select Newport 2

Just stop golfing with him for a few weeks, then give him up for good.

Exactly...

Cobra LTDx 10.5* | Rad Tour 16* | Tour Edge 19* | Titleist U500 4-23* | T100 5-P | Vokey SM7 50/8* F, 54/10* S, SM8 58/10* S | Odyssey 2 Ball Blade | Vice Pro Plus  

I think your buddy is missing the point, golf is supposed to be played against the course and old man par. Other sports are played directly against your competitor and gamesmanship is acceptable and even an expected part of the game but in golf that's not really true. Even this past weekend, in a sense Bubba was competing with Rose (for example) but that's only superficial, in reality Bubba is competing against the golf courses as is Rose, whoever does the best against the course (and elements) wins the tourney. If some schmuck is f--king with you in your backstroke you aren't getting a fair shot at competing against the course and neither of you is going to have a score worth keeping, a score that reflects how you did against the course.

I bet your buddy doesn't tip the beer cart girl either!

Yours in earnest, Jason.
Call me Ernest, or EJ or Ernie.

PSA - "If you find yourself in a hole, STOP DIGGING!"

My Whackin' Sticks: :cleveland: 330cc 2003 Launcher 10.5*  :tmade: RBZ HL 3w  :nickent: 3DX DC 3H, 3DX RC 4H  :callaway: X-22 5-AW  :nike:SV tour 56* SW :mizuno: MP-T11 60* LW :bridgestone: customized TD-03 putter :tmade:Penta TP3   :aimpoint:

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

golf is supposed to be played against the course and old man par.

Golf originated as match play. Stroke play is a recent aberration which is why the rules have become more complicated.

Originally Posted by Ernest Jones

I think your buddy is missing the point, golf is supposed to be played against the course and old man par.

Consider match play.  That is golf in its original and purest form, and par has no bearing in match play.  It is strictly mano y mano.  All that matters is whether you finish each hole in fewer strokes than your opponent.  I've deliberately played for bogey many times when my opponent was in trouble and I knew that bogey would win the hole.

Stroke or medal play for an aggregate score is a relatively new iteration of the game.

But..... there is still no place even in match play for ignoring the precepts of etiquette.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

Note: This thread is 4437 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!